Machado: Update - Manny, do you officially like us?

Chicago White Sox

53 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

If  he has agreed to sign with the Yankees, it would stop the negotiations.his agent is one of the top guys. If he agreed to a contract but was still negotiating with other teams and it came out, he would be looking for a new line of work. That is not how it’s done. If Dan Clark is correct, the White Sox know this and are moving on. But there still is a chance he is full of it. 

As far as his rep, if Bruce Levine reported last night the White Sox had signed him and he was the only one, there would be a party on this board. Yet, one could make one of the longest threads in this sites history just stringing together all the Bruce Levine is full of shit posts. 

I hope it isn’t true, but it seems to be gaining legs from all ends.

All Clark reported is Manny is considering signing with Yankees if everything stands as is. However nowhere did he mention a verbal or written agreement was given from Manny’s camp. As I said before I give this a 75% chance Manny’s camp leaked this rumor to Clark and is using him as a pawn to drive up “final” offer from Sox or Phillies. If we are serious about getting a whale, we gotta bite and pony up with additional $$.

6 minutes ago, KillahPriest said:

What more could they do though?  Its clear neither one of them wanted to go anywhere else other then their intended target: Yankees & Cubs.  Its not like Kenny and Rick can put a gun to their heads and force their hands.

Then keep your pursuit low profile like it has always been. Now they want everyone talking about and thinking about these guys being White Sox, when reality would make anyone realize it was very unlikely. 

They set up their entire dwindling fan base for disappointment. Even someone like me who originally laughed at the thought there was the slightest chance either would be signed.

But hey, they did pick up Yonder Alonso. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

All Clark reported is Manny is considering signing with Yankees if everything stands as is. However nowhere did he mention a verbal or written agreement was given from Manny’s camp. As I said before I give this a 75% chance Manny’s camp leaked this rumor to Clark and is using him as a pawn to drive up “final” offer from Sox or Phillies. If we are serious about getting a whale, we gotta bite and pony up with additional $$.

He reported that he’s heading to New York, not that he’s considering New York. Two very different statements there. 

24 minutes ago, KillahPriest said:

What more could they do though?  Its clear neither one of them wanted to go anywhere else other then their intended target: Yankees & Cubs.  Its not like Kenny and Rick can put a gun to their heads and force their hands.

Do you not think the undesirable state of the White Sox is the fault of Jerry Reinsdorf, Kenny Williams and Rick Hahn? This is 100% on those 3 guys if they miss out.

Edited by Sarava
  • Like 1

If they fail to hit on this we will get to be reminded of this all summer via yonder Alonzo.  If he was a pawn to get Machado you make this move afterward not beforehand.

That is rubbing salt in the fans wounds and along the lines of the terrible shields trade in showing maybe this organization is just as bad as the media is portraying and sadly I am fading in that direction.

3 minutes ago, Sarava said:

Do you not think the undesirable state of the White Sox is the fault of Jerry Reinsdorf, Kenny Williams and Rick Hahn? This is 100% on those 3 guys if they miss out.

Of course, but what I'm saying is that those guys had their minds set on where they wanted to go regardless of the state of the Sox.  They want the prestige AND the cash, not just the latter.  The former is something the Sox cannot offer at this moment and whether you like it or not, its up to those "3 guys" to bring the franchise back to prominence.

Just now, KillahPriest said:

Of course, but what I'm saying is that those guys had their minds set on where they wanted to go regardless of the state of the Sox.  They want the prestige AND the cash, not just the latter.  The former is something the Sox cannot offer at this moment and whether you like it or not, its up to those "3 guys" to bring the franchise back to prominence.

I agree that it's basically both. Sox have been bad for a decade and have had more mini controversies than division titles. That being said, if need be they need to get in a bidding war against themselves. If the offers leak and the Soxonly offered 10/15 million more than the Yanks and Manny ends up a Yankee it would be disgusting.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, beckham15 said:

I think what he is saying is if the situation was reversed people would be jumping for joy on this board. There is a big difference between denial and blind hope. The guy has no skin to gain in this, he has Oriole ties. But there are too many “coincidences” out there to where you can see the writing on the wall man. 

No skin in the game?  I’m not even suggesting he made this up, but the guy is going to get a ton of follows for reporting this and that will ultimately lead to more clicks for his blog.  He has a huge incentive to report this and do so in a confident manner.

And if the situation was reversed I’m sure some would be jumping for joy, but I know I wouldn’t without a legit insider confirming anything.  Dan Clark is even less of a worthy source than Bruce Lavine and that’s saying a lot.

14 minutes ago, beckham15 said:

He reported that he’s heading to New York, not that he’s considering New York. Two very different statements there. 

You have to look past the surface here. Clark’s source was a friend of Machado. Manny telling his friend would be a consideration on his decision (again this may very well be a plant) Manny telling the Yankees would be an agreement. Had Manny given Yankees any sort of agreement, the local NY beat writers and the national guys would have confirmed by now. But last we heard from the national guys is Heyman reporting that yankees turning their attention to bullpen while Manny’s future is up in the air.

FWIW, MLBTR have not even reported this rumor, because Manny telling a friend isn’t a credible method of contractual agreement at all.

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

No skin in the game?  I’m not even suggesting he made this up, but the guy is going to get a ton of follows for reporting this and that will ultimately lead to more clicks for his blog.  He has a huge incentive to report this and do so in a confident manner.

And if the situation was reversed I’m sure some would be jumping for joy, but I know I wouldn’t without a legit insider confirming anything.  Dan Clark is even less of a worthy source than Bruce Lavine and that’s saying a lot.

Exactly, the only people that would be jumping for joy are the same ones that panic over every tweet saying the race is over. When a deal/agreement is tweeted from the national guys come out then I'll react, until then alot of smoke blowing with different agendas.

Edited by TheTruth05
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

6 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

This confirms what I am saying. Nothing has been finalized. Things are subjected to change and it’s all smoke and screen write now.

And a professional journalist wouldn’t publicly say he’s putting his balls on the line.

What about Simonetti saying he has it confirmed Manny is telling associates he’s choosing the Yankees?

9 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Your last paragraph isn’t accurate. You may have posted about landing theses guys more than anyone. Your heart appears set on it occurring, and there have been no insiders that have ever given the White Sox more than a punchers chance.

This might be BS, it might not. But all of a sudden the Sox seem interested in players that don’t match up with a Machado signing, and it is from an insider Morosi, who you would bank on. Things are lining up not how we wished. It is getting to be that time we all accepted it, and get pleasantly surprised if it turns into something different.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

Your last paragraph isn’t accurate. You may have posted about landing theses guys more than anyone. Your heart appears set on it occurring, and there have been no insiders that have ever given the White Sox more than a punchers chance.

This might be BS, it might not. But all of a sudden the Sox seem interested in players that don’t match up with a Machado signing, and it is from an insider Morosi, who you would bank on. Things are lining up not how we wished. It is getting to be that time we all accepted it, and get pleasantly surprised if it turns into something different.

Are you claiming there is a chance that Manny, the Yankees, the White Sox, and the Phillies all know that Manny has already chosen the Yankees, and yet it still hasn’t leaked to anyone more official than Dan Clark?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, fathom said:

What about Simonetti saying he has it confirmed Manny is telling associates he’s choosing the Yankees?

I haven’t seen that. But if it’s Manny telling his associates and it’s leaked, then it seems like a text book method of driving up bidding.

As I said a few posts back, until Manny gives Yankees any confirmation directly, the door is still open for Sox and Phillies.

Edited by thxfrthmmrs

8 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

Are you claiming there is a chance that Manny, the Yankees, the White Sox, and the Phillies all know that Manny has already chosen the Yankees, and yet it still hasn’t leaked to anyone more official than Dan Clark?

Yes, not that difficult this time of year. But it seems as if it is starting to crack. 

If if you were the Yankees and Many agreed to sign, then came back a couple of days later and said, hey, we still have been negotiating and you need to kick in more cash, how would that go over? People still put value on their word.

Edited by Dick Allen

• Heads22 changed the title to Machado: Update - Manny, do you officially like us?
  • southsider2k5 locked this topic