Machado: Update - Manny, do you officially like us?

Chicago White Sox

38 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

If they fail to hit on this we will get to be reminded of this all summer via yonder Alonzo.  If he was a pawn to get Machado you make this move afterward not beforehand.

That is rubbing salt in the fans wounds and along the lines of the terrible shields trade in showing maybe this organization is just as bad as the media is portraying and sadly I am fading in that direction.

I have a vague recollection of getting hammered for taking this position originally, lol...

Just now, beckham15 said:

Why would the Sox be the ones to put it out that they are out of the race before they have to? They are going to be roasted when this doesn’t happen for numerous reasons

Also wouldn’t help them much if they’re trying to trade Abreu or Alonso.

4 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Yes, not that difficult this time of year. But it seems as if it is starting to crack. 

If if you were the Yankees and Many agreed to sign, then came back a couple of days later and said, hey, we still have been negotiating and you need to kick in more cash, how would that go over? People still put value on their word.

You have this twisted. Manny told his friend he’s going to Yankees, and he has given any confirmation to Yankees, hence no credible writer is willing to pick this up.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, beckham15 said:

Why would the Sox be the ones to put it out that they are out of the race before they have to? They are going to be roasted when this doesn’t happen for numerous reasons

So the Sox and Phillies are both keeping this a secret to delay the roasting they will get by a week or so? But Dan Clark was able to get the scoop and nobody else has? 

I had trouble typing that without laughing about how ridiculous it sounds. 

• Like 1

Just now, thxfrthmmrs said:

You have this twisted. Manny told his friend he’s going to Yankees, and he has given any confirmation to Yankees, hence no credible writer is willing to pick this up.

If this dude knows, there is no way the teams haven’t been informed in one way or form. There just is 0 incentive on the Sox behalf to leak that to the media 

1 minute ago, SoxBlanco said:

Why would the Sox want to keep this a secret?

What do they gain by announcing it. Isn’t an alleged pursuit of Edwin Encarnacion a giveaway?

Besides, someday,maybe even during our lifetimes, the Sox will be the team the star is signing, I am sure they would want the pleasure of making the announcement.

1 minute ago, SoxBlanco said:

So the Sox and Phillies are both keeping this a secret to delay the roasting they will get by a week or so? But Dan Clark was able to get the scoop and nobody else has? 

I had trouble typing that without laughing about how ridiculous it sounds. 

See what fathom said above. There is no reason to leak it, they will be roasted in the meantime and lose all leverage in any trade they may or may not be working on. 

11 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

I haven’t seen that. But if it’s Manny telling his associates and it’s leaked, then it seems like a text book method of driving up bidding.

As I said a few posts back, until Manny gives Yankees any confirmation directly, the door is still open for Sox and Phillies.

For me what would make this more of a textbook method of driving up bidding would be for Manny’s camp to put something out there saying he is “leaning” or “the edge goes to NY” but not decided and will be announced shortly. 

We will soon see though. I hope it turns on Dan. I’m one of the pipe dreamers that believed the Sox could land both Harper and Machado. 

3 minutes ago, beckham15 said:

If this dude knows, there is no way the teams haven’t been informed in one way or form. There just is 0 incentive on the Sox behalf to leak that to the media 

That’s why if it’s just a guy spreading rumors and teams haven’t been informed (indications are Yankees haven’t been), then it’s just a ploy to drive up bidding.

I am not saying Yankees won’t likely end up with Manny, but it’s still a money’s game right now.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, beckham15 said:

See what fathom said above. There is no reason to leak it, they will be roasted in the meantime and lose all leverage in any trade they may or may not be working on. 

I still don't understand the team getting roasted part. If the Sox offered the most money, why are the fans going to be upset? It will be a case of Machado always wanting to sign with the Yankees and his agent used the White Sox and Phillies to drive up the price. Why are the fans going to be angry with the White Sox? They tried to hard? They were willing to sign him to a record breaking deal?

Edited by ptatc

3 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I still don't understand the team getting roasted part. If the Sox offered the most money, why are the fans going to be upset? It will be a case of Machado always wanting to sign with the Yankees and his agent used the White Sox and Phillies to drive up the price. Why are the fans going to be angry with the White Sox? They tried to hard? They were willing to sign him to a record breaking deal?

Your last sentence is an assumption the Sox have not earned.

1 minute ago, ptatc said:

I still don't understand the team getting roasted part. If the Sox offered the most money, why are the fans going to be upset? It will be a case of Machado always wanting to sign with the Yankees and his agent used the Whie Sox and Phillies to drive up the price. Why are the fans going to be angry with the White Sox? They tried to hard? They were willing to sign him to a record breaking deal?

If Machado signs for anything significantly short of a record breaking deal, the White Sox either weren’t offering him one, or the current regime has run them into the ground so far, players won’t even take their money. Just like making ARod a Ranger, Cano a Mariner, and getting Pujols to leave St.Loius, there is a figure that would make Machado and Harper play for the White Sox. Whether that figure ultimately makes sense or not is another debate. But it does exist.

The thing that will get me with this failure, if that is what happens,, is how they went away from their Jerry Krause-like secretive MO. While if they land the player, it’s great, if they miss out, and especially if they had very little chance anyway, it only disappoints the fan base even more.

10 minutes ago, shipps said:

For me what would make this more of a textbook method of driving up bidding would be for Manny’s camp to put something out there saying he is “leaning” or “the edge goes to NY” but not decided and will be announced shortly.

We don’t know what exactly was said to Clark, but his latest tweet made it seem like things could still change last minute if the “final” offers were to change.

2 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Are you so sure the team that has notoriously been known to be stingy with money was really willing to sign him to a record breaking deal? Even if they did, being able to convince fans otherwise of this will be hard to do because of the continuous years of Reinsdorf not wanting to pay players.  Ownership has used payroll for this team like it’s living in a small market city such as Oklahoma City. 

1 hour ago, Sarava said:

I really hope Rick Hahn or Kenny Williams don't think Encarnación is an acceptable big acquisition for this winter.

Screw them if they do think the acquisitions they have made or Encarnacion are acceptable big acquisitions this offseason.

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

If Machado signs for anything significantly short of a record breaking deal, the White Sox either weren’t offering him one, or the current regime has run them into the ground so far, players won’t even take their money. Just like making ARod a Ranger, Cano a Mariner, and getting Pujols to leave St.Loius, there is a figure that would make Machado and Harper play for the White Sox. Whether that figure ultimately makes sense or not is another debate. But it does exist.

The thing that will get me with this failure, if that is what happens,, is how they went away from their Jerry Krause-like secretive MO. While if they land the player, it’s great, if they miss out, and especially if they had very little chance anyway, it only disappoints the fan base even more.

As to your last paragraph, I don’t believe they had that luxury. 

2 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I still don't understand the team getting roasted part. If the Sox offered the most money, why are the fans going to be upset? It will be a case of Machado always wanting to sign with the Yankees and his agent used the Whie Sox and Phillies to drive up the price. Why are the fans going to be angry with the White Sox? They tried to hard? They were willing to sign him to a record breaking deal?

The Sox management are the ones that created this undesirable team to play for. If it's that bad where even offering the most money doesn't lure guys in, then that shows that the damage they have caused might be far worse than us fans realized.

I mean, even if you forgive or forget about  everything that happened before the rebuild. Management has gone out of their way to be as bad as possible the last few years. They're tanking for picks. They weren't filling gaping holes on the roster. There's pros and cons to that. They got Nick Madigral and will have the 3rd pick next year. But it might of cost them Manny Machado. He see that triple digit loss total, and he sees that as the New Year is about to roll over, they've done little to nothing  this off-season to change that.

Well maybe he doesn't want to be part of this losing culture that they are continuing to foster, even as they pursue him and Bryce Harper?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, iamshack said:

As to your last paragraph, I don’t believe they had that luxury. 

Maybe , but in years past, if they ever were involved,  they were definitely one of the mystery teams.

and KWs quote about the pieces they need being available now, implies In the future there will be less attractive alternatives.

Edited by Dick Allen

15 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I will be more pissed that management didn’t have a good plan B if the whales weren’t going to sign. 

• Like 1

• Heads22 changed the title to Machado: Update - Manny, do you officially like us?
  • southsider2k5 locked this topic