Machado: Update - Manny, do you officially like us?

Chicago White Sox

3 minutes ago, iamshack said:

Anyone who thinks the Sox give any mind to tweets of Dan Clark is incorrect in their thinking. This is not a purposeful leak. This is someone picking the odds-on favorite and hoping it leads to credibility.

If Dan Clark is accurate, the White Sox have been informed they are out. If the White Sox are still negotiating,Dan Clark is full of it..

I don’t think anyone believes Dan Clark has any information the White Sox don’t have.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, beckham15 said:

Their plan B this whole time has been to stay the course in the rebuild. 

If their rebuild sucks, fails and nobody wants to come here then screw them. Homegrown talent needs to pan out at high rates for the rebuild to matter, especially if players don’t come here.

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

If Dan Clark is accurate, the White Sox have been informed they are out. If the White Sox are still negotiating,Dan Clark is full of it..

I don’t think anyone believes Dan Clark has any information the White Sox don’t have.

I skimmed through the posts above, but there seems to be some thought that the leak is purposeful? 

Just now, dominik-keul@gmx.de said:

I don't think if machado had already decided he would wait till january to announce it.

Normally, I would agree, but this is about the most quiet time for baseball. A signing of this magnitude calls for a big press conference, and they want as many people paying attention as possible.

Hypothetically speaking, if Dan’s info is correct what is typically the benefit of waiting to announce a deal like this? Could they just be working on the final details but agreed on the general parameters? 

Im just trying to understand why they wouldn’t just announce it. 

PS not interested in the because it’s all BS answers. I really want to know the possible why’s. 

6 minutes ago, shipps said:

Hypothetically speaking, if Dan’s info is correct what is typically the benefit of waiting to announce a deal like this? Could they just be working on the final details but agreed on the general parameters? 

Im just trying to understand why they wouldn’t just announce it. 

PS not interested in the because it’s all BS answers. I really want to know the possible why’s. 

I would think it would be due to the holidays. This would be one of the biggest signings in history, and people are doing other things. It would basically be the Friday night news dump , I take a bus to work in the morning. It is empty now , usually standing room only. The office is a ghost town. Turn on the news and it is the back ups on the telecast. Watch TV, it’s re runs.

i think it is as simple as that. James McCann, that’s the type of stuff you can announce now. Machado and Harper, you need to wait until people return to their normal schedules.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Your last paragraph isn’t accurate. You may have posted about landing theses guys more than anyone. Your heart appears set on it occurring, and there have been no insiders that have ever given the White Sox more than a punchers chance.

This might be BS, it might not. But all of a sudden the Sox seem interested in players that don’t match up with a Machado signing, and it is from an insider Morosi, who you would bank on. Things are lining up not how we wished. It is getting to be that time we all accepted it, and get pleasantly surprised if it turns into something different.

Hold on a second, I never said we should just assume what the big name insiders say is true.  I specifically said we shouldn’t panic on Machado until one of the national guys confirms something is close.  Agents use these insiders all the time to serve their agenda and I don’t buy for a second the Sox are actively pursing another DH or that this means they’re out on Machado.  If there’s any truth to this, I’d assume our interest has been greatly overstated and our front simply checked in on these guys.

And for the record, I’ve always believed the Sox or Phillies had a great chance of landing Machado if there was enough separation between their offers and the Yankees as my belief is that players generally do not pass on material amounts of money.  However, without a sufficient gap, I said he was going to New York.  If somehow this all ends up being true, I’m willing to wager to the Sox weren’t as serious with their offer as some of us (included myself) wanted to believe.  For now I’m willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

50 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Yes, not that difficult this time of year. But it seems as if it is starting to crack. 

If if you were the Yankees and Many agreed to sign, then came back a couple of days later and said, hey, we still have been negotiating and you need to kick in more cash, how would that go over? People still put value on their word.

No one has reported Manny agreed to sign anywhere.  Why do you keep saying this?

12 minutes ago, Sarava said:

The Sox management are the ones that created this undesirable team to play for. If it's that bad where even offering the most money doesn't lure guys in, then that shows that the damage they have caused might be far worse than us fans realized.

I mean, even if you forgive or forget about  everything that happened before the rebuild. Management has gone out of their way to be as bad as possible the last few years. They're tanking for picks. They weren't filling gaping holes on the roster. There's pros and cons to that. They got Nick Madigral and will have the 3rd pick next year. But it might of cost them Manny Machado. He see that triple digit loss total, and he sees that as the New Year is about to roll over, they've done little to nothing  this off-season to change that.

Well maybe he doesn't want to be part of this losing culture that they are continuing to foster, even as they pursue him and Bryce Harper?

Boy what a  great post, you are exactly correct, seriously what does this organization have to be proud of, they are vanilla in every aspect, this group has  created this garbage, and all they have are some minor league players that we hope will be competent major league players. To date Rick Hahn has failed, I hope I will be proven wrong, but he has not been able to bring in 1 difference maker, and no one of substance is coming here.

• Like 1

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

This is what Hahn has said all along.

Yeah I think some people thought that if they didn’t land one of these two that the Sox were going to try and pull off a trade of some sort to land someone or anyone of any kind to help save face. This however would be a mistake in my eyes

16 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I don’t know why leaking someone agreed to a contract would be beneficial. Couldn’t the White Sox just ask his agent if it is true?

For the love of god man, no one has said he’s agreed to a contract.  The guy said he’s going to choose (future tense) the Yankees.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

2 minutes ago, beckham15 said:

Yeah I think some people thought that if they didn’t land one of these two that the Sox were going to try and pull off a trade of some sort to land someone or anyone of any kind to help save face. This however would be a mistake in my eyes

Trading for a future core piece would be great. Trading for Encarnacion would be insane.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

For the some of god man, no one has said he’s agreed to a contract.  The guy said he’s going to choose (future tense) the Yankees.

They are talking about a press conference on Jan.7. 

Of everyone on this board, I know you are the most invested in at least one of these guys being a White Sox. I think you even thought both. It might be time to at least start preparing for the worst.

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

This is what Hahn has said all along.

Didn't Hahn say last winter that things would be different the next winter? I could of swore he said that was the last winter of not doing anything worthwhile. Because when the winter meetings started this year, and him and Kenny both were saying it was a year early - my first thought was, of crap they're moving the goalposts on us now.

• Like 1

• Heads22 changed the title to Machado: Update - Manny, do you officially like us?
  • southsider2k5 locked this topic