Machado: Update - Manny, do you officially like us?

Chicago White Sox

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

Just so I make sure which part of that statement you're aiming at - you're saying the White Sox went into this with a spending limit and were willing to miss both of those guys if they were outbid beyond that limit, and those limits are at values that it's entirely plausible another team will beat?

No. I’m saying this is not an exercise in futility, by any means. I’m honestly not sure what the Sox’ thinking is regarding where they need to be regarding other clubs, particularly those which might have certain advantages other than $. To be honest, what they think doesn’t matter. All that matters is whether they have offers on the table good enough to entice the player to sign with them.

And they do.

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

I'd imagine they'd just hold all of them and make it a rotation over the last couple months, filling their DH slot sometimes with each of them.

That’s a good point. And a wonderful problem to have. That team is going to be filthy good for a long time. 

2 minutes ago, iamshack said:

No. I’m saying this is not an exercise in futility, by any means. I’m honestly not sure what the Sox’ thinking is regarding where they need to be regarding other clubs, particularly those which might have certain advantages other than $. To be honest, what they think doesn’t matter. All that matters is whether they have offers on the table good enough to entice the player to sign with them.

And they do.

Not if said player signs elsewhere.

2 minutes ago, iamshack said:

And they do.

As long as the last few dregs of humanity who care about the White Sox agree that we need to evaluate RH and company based on those offers, I'm ok with that.

5 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Since you think the White Sox are still in and have made what Obviouly would have be a bigger bid than the Yankees and basically calling this report fake, aren’t you drawing your own conclusions?  What makes what I am using vs what you are using any less accurate?

I have never once said Sox had the biggest offer. I am advocating that Clark’s report does not suggest this process being complete and either Sox or Phillies COULD still make one last offer to sway Machado the other way. But you’re already making assumption that the deal is done they’re already arranging physicals and coordinating a time to announce signing, when literally no other new outlet has picked up on this transpiring (I will say until this happens no agreement is in place) . I guess it makes you feel better and leap to conclusion you were right that Sox has failed again.

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

As long as the last few dregs of humanity who care about the White Sox agree that we need to evaluate RH and company based on those offers, I'm ok with that.

So let’s say the Sox land one or even both of these guys. 

How does one evaluate Rick Hahn and Co versus if they land neither?

3 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

"Most teams"?? Come on now. 

Ironically, the Cardinals are probably thanking their lucky stars Price and Heyward spurned their offers.  Even teams with 2nd or 3rd best attendance in MLB have a problem when going up head to head against the Red Sox and Cubs.

It was actually a bit shocking he chose the Sox over StL.  Maybe the single most surprising event for the Sox this decade.

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Ironically, the Cardinals are probably thanking their lucky stars Price and Heyward spurned their offers.  Even teams with 2nd or 3rd best attendance in MLB have a problem when going up head to head against the Red Sox and Cubs.

It was actually a bit shocking he chose the Sox over StL.  Maybe the single most surprising event for the Sox this decade.

Not really due to the Cuban connections. If the money is close, the Sox have to be in favor, which they signed him so it all worked out for us.

Edited by soxfan2014

1 minute ago, iamshack said:

Even though odds are high that a deal like that would come to be regretted later, getting a contract signed with one of those two is the only measure of success that 95% of Sox fans are going to care about.

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Just out of curiosity, but what does acquiring EE accomplish?  Like what do you think our endgame would be by making such a move?

I have the same question. But Morosi is one of the major guys. People have bought his stuff all offseason. 

The only thing that might make sense is if they signed Harper, there would be no need for Alonso since they would slide Palka to DH. 

I would imagine Alonso would be in the deal. Jerry D gets to make another trade and saves a little coin. But it still doesn’t make much sense to me from a White asox perspective, and now you have to count on Harper. And he he went somewhere else......

It’s simple, they executed their three year plan versus failing it. They wouldn’t be out of the woods just yet though because they need more than just one of these two, they need the continued development of their prospects to pan out for once.

I would applaud them for landing either of them as they would have successfully put together a plan to create available funds during the big year for free agents and then successfully came forward, understood the market, and used their resources as best they could. I would consider it a major accomplishment.

I would consider failing to land either of them to be yet another on the list of reasons to think we have the worst front office in baseball. To clear space for elite free agents and then declare that you're going after elite free agents and in the end be stuck unable to sign elite free agents...that should be just plain embarrassing. 

Just now, Whitesox27 said:

Not that I want this to happen, but let's say the Sox miss on both Harper and Machado but sign Pollock to play CF and Moustakas to play 3B, both on 3 or 4 year deals. How would you guys react to that?  

Wouldn't be a fan honestly. Don't like Pollock's injury history and don't really want them to give up a draft pick for him.

2 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

Not that I want this to happen, but let's say the Sox miss on both Harper and Machado but sign Pollock to play CF and Moustakas to play 3B, both on 3 or 4 year deals. How would you guys react to that?  

I would call it a classic Rick Hahn special. 

Just now, caulfield12 said:

Even though odds are high that a deal like that would come to be regretted later, getting a contract signed with one of those two is the only measure of success that 95% of Sox fans are going to care about.

I don’t really care what 95% of fans care about. 

Rick and Kenny should have the opportunity to see through what they are building. If you didn’t believe that, you should have fired them and brought in someone else to dismantle the mlb team after the ‘16 season. 

Nearly everything they’ve done since the Chris Sale trade has been to put this franchise in a position to sustainably compete, and despite some of the early returns on those moves being frustrating, if you look at the Astros and Cubs rebuilds, it was never about the success of a few guys, but instead, the success of the plan. 

We need to allow the plan to play out, and not bail because Lucas Giolito or Yoan Moncada are a bit frustrating in their first full seasons. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, soxfan2014 said:

Not really due to the Cuban connections. If the money is close, the Sox have to be in favor, which they signed him so it all worked out for us.

Sure, but the one Venezuelan connection we got out of Ozzie Guillen over the years was Freddy Garcia.

It’s a nice theory, but we’ll see how it all holds together when/if they dump Abreu.  If this angle was THAT overwhelming, we’d have at least a legit 50/50 shot with Machado because of Renteria, Vizquel, Alonso, Castillo, Colome and perhaps the 2nd most Latin American talent of any organization in MLB besides the Padres.

6 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

I have never once said Sox had the biggest offer. I am advocating that Clark’s report does not suggest this process being complete and either Sox or Phillies COULD still make one last offer to sway Machado the other way. But you’re already making assumption that the deal is done they’re already arranging physicals and coordinating a time to announce signing, when literally no other new outlet has picked up on this transpiring (I will say until this happens no agreement is in place) . I guess it makes you feel better and leap to conclusion you were right that Sox has failed again.

You are not being accurate. I am just pointing out several reasons why there could be delays, especially this time of year.

i don’t want the White Sox to fail. I probably have given them more money in my lifetime than 99% of this board. I would like to see them win. I would like Machado at 3B and Harper in RF. But I have also been paying attention, and realized that it was most likely a pipedream. Admittedly, when they traded for Alonso, I thought Manny was a done deal. They White Sox spending $9 million as a prop wouldn’t be typical. But things seem to be going where most thought.

• Heads22 changed the title to Machado: Update - Manny, do you officially like us?
  • southsider2k5 locked this topic