Machado: Update - Manny, do you officially like us?

Chicago White Sox

24 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

In 24 hours literally no one has been willing to go on record to say that. Not even a qualified "As of now..." type of tweet has been made to disqualify it.

I will say this, this could also just be a perfect storm of it being the holidays and dan Clark not being big enough to respond to. Typically even a lower level guy making a claim like this would cause a huge stir. This has been incredibly muted considering it’s biggest story of offseason. I think holidays and him not being a tier big enough that their audience knows about it plays into it.

9 hours ago, Whitesox27 said:

I personally don't think Pollock or Moustakas are the long term answers either, but I'd much rather have them than Engel and Yolmer if push came to shove.

And therein lies the rub. You see a lot of complaining here that the Sox are an undesirable team because they are so bad and that's why the whales won't come here. Then you see if neither whale signs here then stay the course. In other words  suck for another year thereby being in the same situation when it comes to getting FA's.

It's a classic Catch 22. In order to be attractive to FA's we must be good but if we can't sign FA's then suck again and continue to be unattractive to FA's. And round and round we go.

1 hour ago, ChiSox1917 said:

Honestly, if we're out on both Harper and Machado, I want the Sox to get in on Keuchel.  He's a guy who can at least anchor the rotation for the next few years.  

Not me.  Doesn’t strike anyone out.  Big contract for a non TOS, seems like huge potential for a lefty James Shields signing and we probably would not be lucky enough to get another team to bail us out of it the way Rick and Kenny bailed out the Padres.

32 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

And therein lies the rub. You see a lot of complaining here that the Sox are an undesirable team because they are so bad and that's why the whales won't come here. Then you see if neither whale signs here then stay the course. In other words  suck for another year thereby being in the same situation when it comes to getting FA's.

It's a classic Catch 22. In order to be attractive to FA's we must be good but if we can't sign FA's then suck again and continue to be unattractive to FA's. And round and round we go.

I don’t want to suck next year, but I don’t want to commit big dollars to B free agents at this point in time.  And while I wouldn’t be against Moustakas, it would have to be on a one year deal.  Giving him four years would be the definition of insanity IMO.

8 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I don’t want to suck next year, but I don’t want to commit big dollars to B free agents at this point in time.  And while I wouldn’t be against Moustakas, it would have to be on a one year deal.  Giving him four years would be the definition of insanity IMO.

One year stop-gap signings are completely worthless for this team. It’s why Jose Martinez is so much more intriguing than EE.  All I know is I will have a hard time forgiving Hahn if he goes two straight offseasons without adding someone who should be a contributor in 2021.

6 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Oh I understand but then when Arenaado and Rendon and all the whale pitchers become available next year how do we entice them because we suck and aren't competitive ? I remember my very earliest posts on Machado and Harper were arguing we wouldn't be a destination because we are so bad and all I kept hearing is it's all about the money. I came around to thinking we had a chance because of the money and the approach to making Machado feel at home here. So now all we hear is maybe it's not all just about the money with those 2. Do we go into next off season after sucking still thinking it's all about the money or was the Machado and Harper sagas just different from most FA's ?

Just now, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Oh I understand but then when Arenaado and Rendon and all the whale pitchers become available next year how do we entice them because we suck and aren't competitive ? I remember my very earliest posts on Machado and Harper were arguing we wouldn't be a destination because we are so bad and all I kept hearing is it's all about the money. I came around to thinking we had a chance because of the money and the approach to making Machado feel at home here. So now all we hear is maybe it's not all just about the money with those 2. Do we go into next off season after sucking still thinking it's all about the money or was the Machado and Harper sagas just different from most FA's ?

I do think they are a bit different than most free agents.  Harper cares more about his brand than probably any other player, while Manny has supposedly always wanted to play for the Yankees.  

1 minute ago, fathom said:

One year stop-gap signings are completely worthless for this team. It’s why Jose Martinez is so much more intriguing than EE.  All I know is I will have a hard time forgiving Hahn if he goes two straight offseasons without adding someone who should be a contributor in 2021.

And you will have a hard time forgiving Hahn for not getting a whale because we suck at baseball but yet if we suck next year you still expect him to add when it will be the exact same sucking team only with a better idea of where the prospects are in their development.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Do you mind elaborating?

Just a lot of whining about how the big guys aren't gonna give him any credit when Machado signs with the Yankees, and how he's putting his entire reputation on the line as if we need to commend him for it

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Jose Abreu said:

Just a lot of whining about how the big guys aren't gonna give him any credit when Machado signs with the Yankees, and how he's putting his entire reputation on the line as if we need to commend him for it

I just saw the bow tie tweet...I personally think this guy is full of shit or at a minimum exaggerating what he heard, but I know I’m in the minority on that.

• Heads22 changed the title to Machado: Update - Manny, do you officially like us?
  • southsider2k5 locked this topic