Machado: Update - Manny, do you officially like us?

Chicago White Sox

6 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Unless he is thinking he wants to retire, but he wants to end his career as a Yankee. He is 34 after all, it wouldn't be shocking.

You’re probably right about this.  Plus I didn’t realize he has two years remaining on his original Blue Jays deal, so it’s unlikely he’s worried about his next contract.

Regardless, I don’t think this has much impact on Machado, although it may reiterate they only want Manny on their terms.

I don’t think the Yankees signing Tulo removes them at all from the Manny sweepstakes, but this is a bit interesting in what they have essentially done to their offer to him. General consensus seems to be that Tulo was promised the starting SS gig until Didi returns. That pretty much removes the option for Manny to play SS with the Yankees. I would have considered that the only other plus for the Yankees in what they have to offer compared to the Sox. Now it seemingly comes down to the question “do you want to be a Yankee - yes or no?” Almost feels like the Yankees are trying to low-ball Machado and force him to their terms. Although, being paid the MLB minimum, Tulo could be released before ST ends if the Yankees don’t like what they see, making all this null and void. Very little risk for them.

5 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

I don’t think the Yankees signing Tulo removes them at all from the Manny sweepstakes, but this is a bit interesting in what they have essentially done to their offer to him. General consensus seems to be that Tulo was promised the starting SS gig until Didi returns. That pretty much removes the option for Manny to play SS with the Yankees. I would have considered that the only other plus for the Yankees in what they have to offer compared to the Sox. Now it seemingly comes down to the question “do you want to be a Yankee - yes or no?” Almost feels like the Yankees are trying to low-ball Machado and force him to their terms. Although, being paid the MLB minimum, Tulo could be released before ST ends if the Yankees don’t like what they see, making all this null and void. Very little risk for them.

Given his injury history, guy will probably get hurt in Spring Training to be honest.

8 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Unless he is thinking he wants to retire, but he wants to end his career as a Yankee. He is 34 after all, it wouldn't be shocking.

Yeah that was what I was thinking when I said what I did.  I'm not sure Tulo is much more than a bench bat at this point, maybe start 20 games or so.  And I think he might know it.  So then it's not a matter of worrying about my next contract it's more about where can I win.  Just not sure the signing means much as to who the Yanks sign to start at SS or 3B.

Tulo is not a long term piece for the Yankees, I think everyone knows that. But assuming the Yankees sign Machado, there will be such a log-jam on the left side of the infield.

It all but ensures that the Yankees would have to trade Didi or Andujar.

I don’t at all think that this signing means they’re out on Machado, but there will be 1 or 2 players moved if they do sign Machado. Plus I just still can’t stop thinking about why Tulo would want to sign with NY knowing that they could soon be signing one of the best players in the game at the same position. 

I’m starting to think this was a leverage move from the Yankees. They’re already one of the best teams in baseball and have a lot of talent at SS and 3B. With this move, I could see the Yankees offering something like 8-year, $200 million and just saying take it or leave it.

26 minutes ago, KnightsOnMintSt said:

Tulo is not a long term piece for the Yankees, I think everyone knows that. But assuming the Yankees sign Machado, there will be such a log-jam on the left side of the infield.

It all but ensures that the Yankees would have to trade Didi or Andujar.

I don’t at all think that this signing means they’re out on Machado, but there will be 1 or 2 players moved if they do sign Machado. Plus I just still can’t stop thinking about why Tulo would want to sign with NY knowing that they could soon be signing one of the best players in the game at the same position. 

I’m starting to think this was a leverage move from the Yankees. They’re already one of the best teams in baseball and have a lot of talent at SS and 3B. With this move, I could see the Yankees offering something like 8-year, $200 million and just saying take it or leave it.

I don’t think any team was going to sign Tulo to be their primary SS regardless. 

And Andujuar is a below average 3B defensively. Can’t imagine there wouldn’t be plans to try him at 1B over their middling platoon of Bird/Voit before trading anyone. 

Basically, I wouldn’t look too much into this Tulo signing at all. He probably has just of good odds to never play for the Yankees as he does playing any kind of significant SS innings. 

Here's my take:

Tulo wanted to sign with the Yankees, and they have a spot open for half the year at SS for him to prove he's still a player. Probably his only shot to play out his childhood dream of SS for the Yankees. He doesn't care about money and is still being paid by the Blue Jays. The signing in  no way precludes the Yankees from Machado, if anything it may be even more posturing from the Yankees knowing very well that Machado also wants to fulfill his childhood dream. They have a backup plan regardless, so they can say our best and final is 9 years, $285mm or whatever the number is. The signing might actually help them in negotiations to save money on Machado. Finally I still think Andujuar is gone as soon as Machado signs. They don't really lose leverage once Machado is signed, so there is no rush to trade him. If for some reason they lose out on Machado, then they'll keep him. The yanks know pithcing wins championships so I see them getting Bumgarner or Kluber or whoever else for Andujar. That'd leave them with a nice three headed monster at the top of the rotation along w. CC and Happ. They'd have Machado at 3B, Tulo/Didi at SS, Torres at 2b.

Just typing that lineup.... really shows you how far the Sox are from competing... 2022 is the first year if everything works out perfectly. Likely 2023 or 2024.

Read this whole thread. SHerman is a great reporter, he is not talking as if Machado is anywhere like a done deal. But on the other hand, is he saying gleybar torres should back up tulo? Come on dude.

edit, sorry here is the money tweets

5 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

Just typing that lineup.... really shows you how far the Sox are from competing... 2022 is the first year if everything works out perfectly. Likely 2023 or 2024.

Lol...this is absurd.  The team better be competing well before 2022 or Hahn has completely failed at his job.  Moncada & Lopez are free agents after the 2023 season & Kopech after 2024, so realistically the window will likely be 2020 to 2024.

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Lol...this is absurd.  The team better be competing well before 2022 or Hahn has completely failed at his job.  Moncada & Lopez are free agents after the 2023 season & Kopech after 2024, so realistically the window will likely be 2020 to 2024.

What’s even more absurd is that he said 2022 would be the earliest if everything worked out PERFECTLY. To me, perfectly means Giloito and Lopez make huge strides this year and are solid middle of the rotation pieces. Moncada is an all star. Kopech and Cease are TOR starters in 2020. Rodon figures it all out and is the ace we’ve been waiting for. Robert and Madrigal fly through the system in 2019 and are all stars with the big league club in 2020. Palka turns into a stud DH. And our young bullpen arms become above average major leaguers. That is everything going perfectly. And that would mean we are a playoff team in 2020, even without Machado or Harper. 

That Sherman assessment of the Yankees & Machado situation makes a ton of sense IMO and aligns with what we’ve been hearing.  The Yankees likely plan on making a “here it is” offer and see if Machado chases the money or the dream of playing in New York.  If true, I think we should all feel a little bit more optimistic because guys typically take the money.  Obviously no guarantees, but we should have a fighting chance if the money is there.

3 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

What’s even more absurd is that he said 2022 would be the earliest if everything worked out PERFECTLY. To me, perfectly means Giloito and Lopez make huge strides this year and are solid middle of the rotation pieces. Moncada is an all star. Kopech and Cease are TOR starters in 2020. Rodon figures it all out and is the ace we’ve been waiting for. Robert and Madrigal fly through the system in 2019 and are all stars with the big league club in 2020. Palka turns into a stud DH. And our young bullpen arms become above average major leaguers. That is everything going perfectly. And that would mean we are a playoff team in 2020, even without Machado or Harper. 

Exactly, plus we’d have $100M+ in payroll to play with and a strong farm system to trade from.  Unless Moncada, Lopez, Rodon, Anderson & Eloy all suck next year, Hahn will have his eye on contending in 2020. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

That Sherman assessment of the Yankees & Machado situation makes a ton of sense IMO and aligns with what we’ve been hearing.  The Yankees likely plan on making a “here it is” offer and see if Machado chases the money or the dream of playing in New York.  If true, I think we should all feel a little bit more optimistic because guys typically take the money.  Obviously no guarantees, but we should have a fighting chance if the money is there.

It's starting to be clear that they want to solidify the infield, but really don't need to spend Machado money/years to do it, and don't seem to want to. The deal they would make with Machado probably makes him a free agent again at age 30/31. 10 years ago, this would have been great. However, with the way teams are pushing for youth, I don't think it is smart play to assume Machado would make more money in 4 or 5 years than he can make on one contract today. Plus he would get opt outs if he really is performing.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Also that Passan bit on them having tried to get Profar. Clearly Yanks aren't going to live and die by getting Machado. Sox should be able to convincingly outbid them and I hope they do otherwise it's a huge opportunity lost, especially with how dogmatic yankees have been about contract length (correctly)

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

2023 or 2024? There isn't a team in baseball that should take 7 or 8 seasons to rebuild no matter how dire the situation they start in, that is ridiculous. Even the most dire of situations should be able to turn it around within 5 seasons and we had a better starting off point than most rebuilds. If it takes that long then everything went wrong.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

Also that Passan bit on them having tried to get Profar. Clearly Yanks aren't going to live and die by getting Machado. Sox should be able to convincingly outbid them and I hope they do otherwise it's a huge opportunity lost, especially with how dogmatic yankees have been about contract length (correctly)

To me, it all boils down to whether or not they want to trade Andujar. If they do, then none of these other acquisitions matter and Manny will end up at 3rd there.

• Heads22 changed the title to Machado: Update - Manny, do you officially like us?
  • southsider2k5 locked this topic