Machado: Update - Manny, do you officially like us?

Chicago White Sox

Getting Machado inked would be such a much needed shot in the arm for this organization.  

The Machado sweepstakes have taken so long to develop that the SP market has kind of dried up, which is unfortunate.  But I guess you could still grab Pomeranz and see if Pollock's market tanks enough to get him for $15-18M AAV over 2-3 years, and then just go to battle for 2019 with a decent roster.  

He seems legit, he's followed by Morosi, Heyman and Nightengale. Hopefully his source is good. I do not see why he would need to make something up. I think the most telling sign is he didn't try to "break the news" on Twitter. He just mentioned it in a podcast.

• Like 2
  • Love 2

Even if his source is good it doesn't mean Machado is definitely to white sox. Things can change. However, it's nice to hear our names again in a positive direction and not a source of derision. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

Even if his source is good it doesn't mean Machado is definitely to white sox. Things can change. However, it's nice to hear our names again in a positive direction and not a source of derision. 

Just listened to it....good to hear someone say something positive in our direction.  I also agree with everyone's assertion that it was an ex-Dodger teammate.  Based on his connections and the way he said it, that makes total sense to me.  

On 12/21/2018 at 7:28 AM, Chicago White Sox said:

Alright, with the last thread blowing the fuck up, figured we needed new one.  Hopefully we get some better discussion in this one.

edit: Latest scuttlebutt is on dodger talk podcast the host heard from a person close to manny he's considering white sox.

Link link plz or more details

36 minutes ago, fathom said:

This will be my lone optimistic post for the year, but Vassegh would have far less incentive to plant a story than Clark would have (Clark might not know he was being used if he's wrong).  

Woah!

• Like 1

When it comes to current sports news, Dave Vassegh is the man you want to talk to. He has worked in and around Los Angeles for years doing exactly what he does now which is provide people with the latest sports news. He is somewhat of a sports gossip, if you will, but would likely rather be called a sports news guru of some sort. 

In any case, Dave Vassegh is the guy that people come to when they need information. His sources and investigative reporting skills are incredible and he has a great reputation for providing accurate information. In fact, he often has the information far before anyone else. Therefore, he is not only a great asset to AM 570 Radio, but to everyone else in the world that uses his services. 

The best thing about Dave Vassegh is that even though he is a provider of current sports news, he is also a sports broadcaster that is willing to give an opinion as well. The thing is that with Dave Vassegh, you can tell that the truth and his opinions don’t mix as much as they might with other sports broadcasters. So, essentially, he gives the information and allows you to process it and make your own choices about it. Then he lays out his thoughts so that they don’t really influence the listeners completely. Having the talent to do this is rare, but Dave Vassegh has that talent and uses it daily.

15 minutes ago, bmags said:

Absolutely. And we had someone with sources say in another thread that the Sox were "very confident" where they stand with Harper. That's good I guess, but the Sox themselves don't have all the details and don't know for certain what other teams are offering. I'm not running out to Grandstand to order Harper and Machado jerseys based on any of this, but I think for sure that the Sox are very, very serious about landing each of these guys.

I just think its fairly positive that 1) He wouldn't really have a reason to make this up.  He's a LA and Dodger guy so makes sense he would be connected with people close to Machado.  And 2) He only mentioned it on a Dodger podcast.  He isn't blasting out on twitter himself to "be the first on it".  

I haven't listened to the podcast myself, but what was the exact wording.  "Manny Machado is considering the White Sox" and "Manny Machado is leaning toward signing with the White Sox", are very different things.  The former is nothing we don't already know.  The latter is news.  

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I just think its fairly positive that 1) He wouldn't really have a reason to make this up.  He's a LA and Dodger guy so makes sense he would be connected with people close to Machado.  And 2) He only mentioned it on a Dodger podcast.  He isn't blasting out on twitter himself to "be the first on it".  

I haven't listened to the podcast myself, but what was the exact wording.  "Manny Machado is considering the White Sox" and "Manny Machado is leaning toward signing with the White Sox", are very different things.  The former is nothing we don't already know.  The latter is news.  

He said he talked to a player today and that player believes Machado is going to sign with the White Sox.  He also said that the player knows Machado better than anyone he’s talked to.  The insider believes he’ll sign in the next week or two.

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

He said he talked to a player today and that player believes Machado is going to sign with the White Sox.  He also said that the player knows Machado better than anyone he’s talked to.  The insider believes he’ll sign in the next week or two.

Thanks for clarifying.  That's a pretty positive statement.  

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Also said Harper will wait for Manny to sign and that Harper wants to top Stanton's contract.  The Harper news wasn't associated with the "player" that gave him the Manny info.

Finally some smoke around the White Sox. This is good news and like someone already mentioned, there really isn’t as much of an incentive for him to plant this story, and he didn’t try to break it on Twitter. Seems like a very innocent nugget that he just happened to be passing along.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Thanks for clarifying.  That's a pretty positive statement.  

I’ll be honest, I’m very skeptical of rumors like this, but at least this guy came out and basically said “I just happened to hear this” and wasn’t an arrogant douche acting like it was 100% fact.  You can tell this guy is a much more legitimate and likely to have personal relationships with actual players than someone like Dan Clark. This 

55 minutes ago, Scoots said:

Well, a lot of people here think he will sign in the next week or 2, so I guess we will find out soon if this is true. Fingers crossed.

Next day or two is my prediction (not necessarily with us, but I think he has pretty much decided by now) 

6 minutes ago, fathom said:

Also said Harper will wait for Manny to sign and that Harper wants to top Stanton's contract.  The Harper news wasn't associated with the "player" that gave him the Manny info.

And that all makes sense.  At this point, I’m thinking Machado ends up around 10/$326 and Harper at 10/$350M.

• Love 1

1 minute ago, Jose Abreu said:

Next day or two is my prediction (not necessarily with us, but I think he has pretty much decided by now) 

I can't imagine that he hasn't made up his mind.  For all we know, he's finalizing a deal with someone this week.

5 minutes ago, KnightsOnMintSt said:

Finally some smoke around the White Sox. This is good news and like someone already mentioned, there really isn’t as much of an incentive for him to plant this story, and he didn’t try to break it on Twitter. Seems like a very innocent nugget that he just happened to be passing along.

Exactly, that’s why I’d be more willing to give it a bit more credibility than when one of the random New York “insiders” or even Bruce Levine reports something.

2 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

My honest opinion is Machado at the very least knows what he’d be willing to accept from each team and we’re down to the last minute poker.  That Levine leak is a tell-tale sign that the Sox don’t want the Phillies to think they’ve gone 10 years and revise their bid.  I really think you’re right that this thing wraps fairly soon and possibly even this week.  Once the poker starts, things typically move pretty fast as an agent can only say “if you go to x dollars we have a deal” once.

12 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’ll be honest, I’m very skeptical of rumors like this, but at least this guy came out and basically said “I just happened to hear this” and wasn’t an arrogant douche acting like it was 100% fact.  You can tell this guy is a much more legitimate and likely to have personal relationships with actual players than someone like Dan Clark. This 

Also it is less likely this rumor is a plant by agents. The guy basically covered this for less than a minute on the radio before switching topics, and he clearly said he's not big on twitter discussions. It I am leaking this with intentions, I wouldn't have gone to him.

Edited by thxfrthmmrs
  • Like 1

• Heads22 changed the title to Machado: Update - Manny, do you officially like us?
  • southsider2k5 locked this topic