Machado: Update - Manny, do you officially like us?

Chicago White Sox

5 minutes ago, raBBit said:

A good point.

There are basically no leaks that I can tell.  These teams are really keeping it locked down.

I think Harper leaks are more likely because Boras plays the game and tries any advantage he can get 

My guess is Machado signs first. Boras wants him to set the market and wants Harper to get more. I think all of the Harper waiting on teams is a mirage. Harper made the choice of Boras as his agent. His dad could get him $300mil, you only have Boras for one reason, and its because you want the money.

Thats my opinion with no sources or insider knowledge.  I know its not exciting or flashy as saying my best friend walks Reinsdorfs dog and the dog got a hold of the cotract. 

:D

17 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

There are basically no leaks that I can tell.  These teams are really keeping it locked down.

I think Harper leaks are more likely because Boras plays the game and tries any advantage he can get 

My guess is Machado signs first. Boras wants him to set the market and wants Harper to get more. I think all of the Harper waiting on teams is a mirage. Harper made the choice of Boras as his agent. His dad could get him $300mil, you only have Boras for one reason, and its because you want the money.

Thats my opinion with no sources or insider knowledge.  I know its not exciting or flashy as saying my best friend walks Reinsdorfs dog and the dog got a hold of the cotract. 

:D

This makes a lot of sense.  Boras, if nothing else, is going to want to be responsible for the biggest contract in the history of the game.   That likely doesn't matter AS much to Lozano.

There are very few people that really know what is going on.Anyone not directly involved, who claims they do is guessing. Right now all the speculation is chalk. Why wouldn’t anyone think he isn’t going to the Yankees? And if for some reason he didn’t, why wouldn’t the next logically  spot be a place the owner said they might spend stupidly? Most insiders don’t like the White Sox chances because A. They suck, and B. This would be so out of character.

Once they actually sign one of these types, Albert Belle over 20 years ago notwithstanding, they will be given a better shot in the future.

i thought  trading for Alonso meant the Sox were going to get him. It isn’t like them to spend $9 million on a prop. It still may play out.  

But of the people who would actually put info out on Twitter, no one has any idea yet.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 1
  • Love 2

10 minutes ago, The Beast said:

Yay, another thread. What happened to the days of the mega threads that ended in letdown and disappointments?

I will be surprised if either Harper or Machado sign here at this point.

Unfortunately the dry spells result in too much bickering and the mods are forced to shut things down and start anew.  Hopefully this is our last Machado thread until he actually signs a contract.

22 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Everyone knows that is a chess reference, right? 

And guess what, Hahn ain’t playing checkers bro.  Adding Alonso was like taking out the Phillies’ queen.  Now it’s time to knock their king off the board with a fat stack of cash and land our Moby Dick once and for all.

49 minutes ago, Ross Gload Fan said:

Also, I would have to think joining the Sox on a leap of faith (and a ton of money) would be a good first step in repairing his image. Most likely, he doesnt care at all about his image, just my opinion.

If it's really about repairing an image, I would think chasing the money to play with a loser wouldn't help. Taking less would be the "honorable" thing to the masses. 

I really don't think his image is really that bad. He shouldn't have said what he said. His incidents during the playoffs shouldn't have happened, and he probably is an ass. But he is nowhere near Albert Belle's league when it comes to that. 

I would prefer he hustle. I don't see the harm in it. We expect more from NBA players than to run down the floor and back twice a night. Why can't we expect him to run some things out?  But I prefer results even more. He would really help the rebuild.

I would rather have Harper, but, and only a few people really know for sure, it appears he would rather play somewhere else. Do you give him $400 million with opt outs knowing he would rather be somewhere else? 

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

And guess what, Hahn ain’t playing checkers bro.  Adding Alonso was like taking out the Phillies’ queen.  Now it’s time to knock their king off the board with a fat stack of cash and land our Moby Dick once and for all.

This line brings terrible flashbacks to winter 2016 when everyone was sure Hahn was playing checkers and would get one of the outfielders for a bargain price and instead we signed jimmy Rollins in March.

8 hours ago, iamshack said:

If the Yankees were offering $400m, there would be a lot more smoke

If the Yankees were offering 400 mill this thing would be over already.  Yes, I'm sure Manny and his agent would still being doing their due diligence but this  would be wrapped up by now.  Sorry, not buying that.

Edited by Rowand44

14 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

lol. :lolhitting

Edited by Jack Parkman

I just don't want to see MM go to the Phillies unless it's outrageous (500 mil+). Sox need to land a big shark like Machado to plug a massive hole in the org and to change the perception around the league that this team is ready to add in the future if and when we have a contender very soon. 

14 minutes ago, bmags said:

This line brings terrible flashbacks to winter 2016 when everyone was sure Hahn was playing checkers and would get one of the outfielders for a bargain price and instead we signed jimmy Rollins in March.

Lol...let’s not speak of those days in the “Endgame” thread, I’m trying my hardest to keep things optimistic here.

But in all seriousness, I truly believe the organization is operating much differently today than it has in the past.  Signing a 20 year old Cuban amateur for $50M was the tipping point for me, as that was fifth largest free agent expenditure in franchise history.  I think Hahn has much more leeway and financial might to accomplish what his goals in free agency now.

1 minute ago, Bigsoxhurt35 said:

This is a snowball effect with FAs. Once you land a big one, the rest will follow. 

I was thinking about this on the ride in to work.   If we think that the Sox need to win one of these guys to change our image, do we offer an opt out after 3 years?  I apologize if this has already been discussed and shot down earlier on another thread.

20 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

21 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

LOL  LOVE  the way  that the wording was put together in this response

• Love 1

4 minutes ago, TheTruth05 said:

I just don't want to see MM go to the Phillies unless it's outrageous (500 mil+). Sox need to land a big shark like Machado to plug a massive hole in the org and to change the perception around the league that this team is ready to add in the future if and when we have a contender very soon. 

Exactly, we have to be prepared to overpay to some extent.   And quite frankly, I don’t think the Sox trade for Alonso on a nine million salary unless they’ve already communicated they won’t be beat.  Yonder is nothing more than a tie-breaker at this point, but a potentially valuable one if us and the Phillies end up around the same spot.

• Heads22 changed the title to Machado: Update - Manny, do you officially like us?
  • southsider2k5 locked this topic