Machado: Update - Manny, do you officially like us?

Chicago White Sox

8 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

I can't make you believe or not believe him, but I think that the reactions of Orioles fans who are familiar with Clark speak volumes. This is a guy who has tweeted out rumors (on a smaller scale) in the past and deleted them when they are wrong. He did leave up the Markakis one which he got wrong, which I suppose (?) I give him credit for?

Anyway, it's fine if you think he could be right, I just don't appreciate when other people feel the need to mock those who don't believe Clark, especially given his track record.

So he’s not unlike Bruce Levine, Phil Rogers, Bob Nightengale, any White Sox beat reporter. They all get slammed here, yet we have  numerous threads that are based on their reporting. 

There really isn’t one guy who hasn’t been slammed before. 

People get things wrong, but this guy is  putting his blogging or whatever he does career on the line with his tweet. Maybe to him it’s worth the risk , but I really don’t see what ultimately he gains by being right here. It won’t put him on a national stage and make him millions. Being wrong will basically ruin this portion of his life. That is why I believe he is telling the truth

I mean if Dan Clark is blocked by Ken Rosenthal, how many other national guys block him? Maybe that’s the reason for silence. That plus it being 24 hours of nothing really does make me hopeful.

i also just think Yankees love DiDi, and may think it’s easier to find upgrades at 3b than the plus manny brings over DiDi in production/attitude wildcard.

OTOH DiDi is older, but Stopgap SS seems to have some options

Just now, bmags said:

I mean if Dan Clark is blocked by Ken Rosenthal, how many other national guys block him? Maybe that’s the reason for silence. That plus it being 24 hours of nothing really does make me hopeful.

i also just think Yankees love DiDi, and may think it’s easier to find upgrades at 3b than the plus manny brings over DiDi in production/attitude wildcard.

OTOH DiDi is older, but Stopgap SS seems to have some options

If they didn’t sign Machado, I think the plan would be to sign a 2B and temporarily move Torres to SS. At least that is what Cashman said on MLBN during the Winter Meetings.

17 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

So he’s not unlike Bruce Levine, Phil Rogers, Bob Nightengale, any White Sox beat reporter. They all get slammed here, yet we have  numerous threads that are based on their reporting. 

There really isn’t one guy who hasn’t been slammed before. 

People get things wrong, but this guy is  putting his blogging or whatever he does career on the line with his tweet. Maybe to him it’s worth the risk , but I really don’t see what ultimately he gains by being right here. It won’t put him on a national stage and make him millions. Being wrong will basically ruin this portion of his life. That is why I believe he is telling the truth

I’m not sure getting this wrong will have any impact on his career.  He can simply say his source (who he already revealed to be a friend / former teammate) misunderstood the certainty of what Machado told them.  Meanwhile, he’ll have gained some Twitter followers which long-term likely results in more clicks for his blog.  Sure, his reputation will take a hit in the short-term, but look how many of you beleive hik despite all his previous misses / cover-ups.  To me, there is nothing but upside for him here.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’m not sure getting this wrong will have any impact on his career.  He can simply say his source (who he already revealed to be a friend / former teammate) misunderstood the certainty of what Machado told them.  Meanwhile, he’ll have gained some Twitter followers which long-term likely results in more clicks for his blog.  Sure, his reputation will take a hit in the short-term, but look how many of you beleive hik despite all his previous misses / cover-ups.  To me, there is nothing but upside for him here.

100% this. 

• Like 1

From what I am gathering around the interwebz most people agree that Dan Clarke doesn't have any 100% credible information, he's simply taking a stab here with a 1 in 3 chance with low long-term risks and high short term gains. 

It just doesn't make sense. I'm treating it as a non-story. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

You are really all in on this Dan Clark report huh.

I enjoy the off season and all of its rumors and reports. This is fun to me. Dan could be wrong in his reporting and Machado still winds up going to the Yankees who knows. I’m not a Dan Clark groupie but I am not just looking at his recent tweets in a vacuum either. I’ve read his tweets for about a year now. He’s not some weirdo looking for notariety from my perspective. I know that’s how some view him and how many want to view him. Again, I hope he’s wrong. 

10 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

From what I am gathering around the interwebz most people agree that Dan Clarke doesn't have any 100% credible information, he's simply taking a stab here with a 1 in 3 chance with low long-term risks and high short term gains. 

It just doesn't make sense. I'm treating it as a non-story. 

After reading more this morning I tend to be on this side of the fence. He was wrong about Markakis, JD Martinez and a Santana move as well. He seems to be just throwing the obvious at the wall hoping it sticks. 

1 hour ago, Jose Abreu said:

If you’re so sure that Clark is right and Machado has signed with the Yankees, why do you feel the need to continue posting in the Machado thread?

LOL I’m sorry I didn’t know I have disqualified myself from posting in here because I tend to believe a report you don’t like. 

6 minutes ago, shipps said:

LOL I’m sorry I didn’t know I have disqualified myself from posting in here because I tend to believe a report you don’t like. 

All I meant is that if it’s over (to you) then it’s over, so there’s no need to make fun of people who don’t believe in Clark. 

Just now, Jose Abreu said:

All I meant is that if it’s over (to you) then it’s over, so there’s no need to make fun of people who don’t believe in Clark. 

What I said was those who don’t believe Clark’s words yet will standby WSD report. If you don’t believe Clark it’s whatever. I am not making fun of that. I would expect it to be a polarizing rumor. 

4 minutes ago, shipps said:

What I said was those who don’t believe Clark’s words yet will standby WSD report. If you don’t believe Clark it’s whatever. I am not making fun of that. I would expect it to be a polarizing rumor. 

Got it, I may have misinterpreted your original comment then, my bad. 

There are plenty of people here, honestly including me lol that consider Dave a source. I made that comment right after Dave tweeting his report, so no I was not referring to people directly in this thread. 

Dude believe what you want. I can give two craps about who you believe. 

1 minute ago, shipps said:

There are plenty of people here, honestly including me lol that consider Dave a source. I made that comment right after Dave tweeting his report, so no I was not referring to people directly in this thread. 

Dude believe what you want. I can give two craps about who you believe. 

Gotcha, didn’t realize you were speaking from a general perspective.

57 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

He would be known as a joke. This is a big one. It isn't the Orioles signing someone to a minor league contract.

There was a kid who was breaking a lot of info 2 or 3 years ago, and the main guys even gave him credit. Does anyone know if he is still doing his thing?

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

If they didn’t sign Machado, I think the plan would be to sign a 2B and temporarily move Torres to SS. At least that is what Cashman said on MLBN during the Winter Meetings.

Yeah, that makes sense, the 2b market is stacked if you only care about one year production.

18 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

He would be known as a joke. This is a big one. It isn't the Orioles signing someone to a minor league contract.

There was a kid who was breaking a lot of info 2 or 3 years ago, and the main guys even gave him credit. Does anyone know if he is still doing his thing?

Cottillo?

14 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I mean, he kind already is.  Most Orioles think he is full of shit based on his track record, mlbtraderumors won’t even run his “report”, and one the most respected journalists (who local ties no less) has blocked him.  I guess I don’t see a lot of downside for him, but maybe that’s just me.

27 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Chris Cotillo works as a Red Sox beat writer now.

• Like 1

• Heads22 changed the title to Machado: Update - Manny, do you officially like us?
  • southsider2k5 locked this topic