Machado: Update - Manny, do you officially like us?

Chicago White Sox

2 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

He didn't inherit it, he helped create it. 

He isn't going anywhere. I know that. But he shoudn't be where he is. He seems like a decent enough guy. I think he's very bright, but I don't think MLB GM is his thing. And it's not all on him. KW needs to go as well. 

You are ignoring quite a bit of context when you are judging Hahn’s performance prior to trading Chris Sale. 

57 minutes ago, iamshack said:

You are ignoring quite a bit of context when you are judging Hahn’s performance prior to trading Chris Sale. 

So if we blame JR or KW for handcuffing him financially for 15 years...and he has “free reign” now...when can we start judging his track record?

Because if we don’t bring in any whales, he’s pretty much operating in the same way he always did, with the lone exception of having the money to go out and sign Luis Robert.  

Unless you think everyone will not care about Alonso’s production (or Castillo’s, and Colome’s) if we fail to sign Machado?

I really think we all need to wait and see where the whales land before we start shredding Hahn to pieces.  Rick & KW have had several years to plan these pursuits and in the next 30 days or so we’ll know if they were successful in their efforts.

Also, reading through the Yankees Reddit site is making me much more optimistic about our chances with Machado.  This post in particular about Leyritz really made me feel better:

I see everyone in this thread has forgotten about the time this desperate-for-relevance drunk said G. Cole to the Yankees was a done deal last year.

He reads the same shit the rest of us do and then declares deals done based on a hunch. Fans think he's credible because he wore the uniform 20 years ago, but the Yankees don't even invite him to old timer's day, so how close to the org can he be?

All this “smoke”, with the possible exception of Dan Clark, seems like complete BS and/or rumor riding.  Even some Yankees fans are speculating these are blatant plants by Machado’s agent to cause us or the Phillies to bid against themselves.  I’m going to remain cautiously optimistic until a legit insider tells me I should feel otherwise.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iamshack said:

Would you put him in the top 10 GMs in the game, next 10, or bottom 10. If it isn't top 10, and the goal as Rick has stated numerous times is sustained winning and multiple championships,  how do you justify his continued employment as the GM? Especially after 6 losing seasons as a GM, not all being rebuilding seasons.

Edited by Dick Allen

18 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Would you put him in the top 10 GMs in the game, next 10, or bottom 10. If it isn't top 10, and the goal as Rick has stated numerous times is sustained winning and multiple championships,  how do you justify his continued employment as the GM? Especially after 6 losing seasons as a GM, not all being rebuilding seasons.

To Rick’s credit, he may have only been GM in name those first few years.  Not that saying should give him a free press, but I think it’s clear he’s much more responsible for the direction of the club now than when he was first given the title.  For better or worse we’re stuck with him and I think he deserves at least another year or two before a chance is even considered.

That being said, I fully expect some major leaps from Moncada, Lopez, etc. next year or I feel like Rick must go.  Hahn has refused to make changes to the coaching staff despite underperformance from the entire first wave of talent and as such he should go down with the ship if those guys don’t make significant progress next year.

• Heads22 changed the title to Machado: Update - Manny, do you officially like us?
  • southsider2k5 locked this topic