Machado: Update - Manny, do you officially like us?

Chicago White Sox

15 hours ago, whitesoxbrad said:

I wouldn't give this organization 1 penny of my money and I hope none of you will either, let this garbage for an organization move and someone else will come in who knows baseball and take advantage of what this  great city offers, the White Sox and the bulls are just garbage, we do not deserve this bullshit.

Yet here you are posting about the team and giving them free space in your head.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Flash Tizzle said:

Why would telling people you will sign with the Yankees, in addition to following their television network, make that team want to fork over more money? It looks like their offer is already good enough! “Well he should be accepting our offer soon, but lets give him another 20 million anyway...”

I’d be more willing to believe the White Sox are the front runners with New York and all of this inside information/Social media following about the Yankees is an attempt for us to match the offer. But even that I feel is unlikely, just slightly more realistic. 

He has not said he is signing with the Yankees. It was known that the Yanks are his preferred team. He unfollowed their network.  

I just received an email from Bleacher Report, which might cheer up a few of you. It doesn't tell us anything that we don't already know, but at least they give some credence to the possibility, which is more than some of the recent sources:

"The New York Yankees have featured in many Machado rumors, and the Bronx may be where he ends up. Consider the Chicago White Sox, however.

The ChiSox don't boast the glamor and championship-strewn history of the Yankees. But they're an up-and-coming club loaded with young talent that might be a few pieces away from contending in the winnable AL Central. They also employ Yonder Alonso, who happens to be Machado's brother-in-law.

Machado was recently "wooed" by the White Sox as well as the Yankees and Phillies, per ESPN.com's Coley Harvey. They have the second-least committed payroll for 2019, per Spotrac, meaning they can back up the Brink's truck if they want to. 

Assuming Machado is amenable to the South Side, Chicago is a dark-horse suitor to bet on."

Edited by Lillian

20 minutes ago, whitesoxbrad said:

They won 62 games and looked horrible at it, hitting, pitching, defense. That's what I would define as " watchable", DEFAULT.

Do you even read what you're writing?   An evaluation of the 2018 White Sox team is not a definition of the subjective term, "watchable". 

32 minutes ago, aeichhor said:

I really hope he's wrong 

I find it extremely odd that this Clark guy is so certain that Machado is signing with the Yankees. According to Morosi on the MLB Network, Machado hasn’t event talked financial numbers and offers with the Phillies, Yankees or White Sox yet. 

http://mlb.com/r/article?ymd=20181228&content_id=297610378&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

(watch the end of the video on top of page) 

Seems more and more that Clark is grasping at straws and hoping Machado does sign with his favorite childhood team. As of now, Clark looks foolish.

Just now, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

If the Yankees are his favorite team, why does he blog for the Orioles? Being a blogger seems pretty autonomous, and I can't imagine there is enough money in it that someone offered him a job to switch allegiances. 

Think he means Machado's childhood team.

16 minutes ago, GreatScott82 said:

I find it extremely odd that this Clark guy is so certain that Machado is signing with the Yankees. According to Morosi on the MLB Network, Machado hasn’t event talked financial numbers and offers with the Phillies, Yankees or White Sox yet. 

http://mlb.com/r/article?ymd=20181228&content_id=297610378&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

(watch the end of the video on top of page) 

Seems more and more that Clark is grasping at straws and hoping Machado does sign with his favorite childhood team. As of now, Clark looks foolish.

Good find. Has this been discussed here yet? Looks like the video is from December 27, but it would be really interesting if Machado is waiting until after the new year to discuss financial terms with the three teams. 

1 minute ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Again, same question. Why would he choose to blog for the Orioles now instead of the Yankees?

I think Clark simply wants to be ‘the guy’ who claimed to break the news. He is claiming to have used his connections to the Orioles roster (Manny’s former team), as an intel to get leaked info. Manny already told his friends that he simply “prefers the Yankees” as MLB.com previous reported, but that doesn’t mean that will be the team he ends up with. It’s all about long term fit, $$$, and long term chance at winning. Morosi brings up wonderful points that favor the white Sox at the end of the video I posted. 

9 minutes ago, aeichhor said:

I wonder, historically, how many examples he can give of players taking less money for this reason - especially in baseball. Basketball sure, where they've gone into superteam mode and the salary cap was rapidly going up - we saw Lebron and Durant do that, but I can remember few cases of it happening obviously in baseball. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

I know, I'm just simply pushing back on the idea that Clark WANTS Machado to go to the Yankees because he is a Yankees fan. I haven't seen any reason to believe he's a Yankees fan, so I am not sure why that would be his motivation.

Choosing the most likely team and wanting everyone to believe he is an insider who breaks news is a motive I would believe, but I haven't seen the Yankees-fan connection yet.

No one said Clark was a Yankees fan.

20 minutes ago, aeichhor said:

I hope this guy is right, actually.  Because I still believe the Sox will have the highest offer on the table for both players (or else it was a complete waste of time to try and compete with the other major market teams in the mix), AND with coming to the Sox comes very lucrative endorsement opportunities and high possibility of success, given all of the top prospects.  The Sox can easily compete with the other teams on those two attributes.  

So just throw in the “highest $”, and well, you still have to be hopeful about the team’s prospects on signing one or both.  But they probably have zero chance if they don’t have the highest offer on the table, so it’ll ultimately come down to that. 

One thing Clark and others might be forgetting is that NY State income tax is 8.82% for an individual in Machado’s income bracket, plus there is a NY City income tax of 3.867%.  Illinois State income tax is 4.95% and there is no Chicago City income tax.  Thus, Machado would pay about $2.7M more per year in income tax playing in NY vs Chicago.  

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I wonder, historically, how many examples he can give of players taking less money for this reason - especially in baseball. Basketball sure, where they've gone into superteam mode and the salary cap was rapidly going up - we saw Lebron and Durant do that, but I can remember few cases of it happening obviously in baseball. 

How would any of us know? We're only privy to information filtered through people that are paid to filter information. 

• Heads22 changed the title to Machado: Update - Manny, do you officially like us?
  • southsider2k5 locked this topic