Machado: Update - Manny, do you officially like us?

Chicago White Sox

7 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

The no formal offers thing seems so far fetched. 

Look, I have no idea how baseball negotiations work, but I do know the only people who could tell Morosi & Nightengale that no formal offers have been submitted is Machado or his agent.  And what do they accomplish by leaking this if not true?  And a formal offer does not mean they haven’t talked numbers.  In my line of work, you typically force buyers to present an indicative range of value first, filter out the non serious parties, and then request formal bids from a select group of players.  I don’t see why this couldn’t be any different.

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Something that could be interesting is if Yanks hold off on announcing the Manny deal for a few days (if he signs) to give them more leverage in trading Andujar

I don’t think adding Machado has any impact on their ability to extract full value for Andujar given he’s young, cheap, & desirable.  Plus they could always use him at 1B until someone was ready to pony up.

25 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

No. The first text was "Don't believe the BS reporting". I'm trying to figure out now why he says that and what he may have for me. Could be nothing, could also be something I can't say. But I'll let you guys know which of those two things it is.

Anything else of interest?

13 minutes ago, fathom said:

Something that could be interesting is if Yanks hold off on announcing the Manny deal for a few days (if he signs) to give them more leverage in trading Andujar

Even if they were trade Andujar, they could easily hold off on a announcing the smaller deal, which is Tulo signing, if they want to have more leverage here. I don't even think the Yankees-MM negotiation is in the late stages at this point.

Why does everyone assume Tulo would be a stater?  I know this is not what we as Sox fans are used to, but really good teams sign guys like that to fill out bench roles, especially when you can get them for league min.  And, if I’m Tulo, I’m getting paid millions either way so why not just sign with the best team that makes me an offer?  Effectively, every offer he has is for $20M, it’s just a different portion that’s being paid by the Jays.

4 minutes ago, RTC said:

Why does everyone assume Tulo would be a stater?  I know this is not what we as Sox fans are used to, but really good teams sign guys like that to fill out bench roles, especially when you can get them for league min.  And, if I’m Tulo, I’m getting paid millions either way so why not just sign with the best team that makes me an offer?  Effectively, every offer he has is for $20M, it’s just a different portion that’s being paid by the Jays.

If you’re Tulo you probably care about playing time first & foremost, because you’re trying to work towards another contract.

2 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Because he’s a terrible 3B. We need to improve the defense, not make it worse. I’d definitely take Andujar all things being equal, but he’s a DH or 1B soon and that’s a pretty easy spot to fill economically in FA these days. 

I am not trading Carlos Rodon for him. Or Cease. Bad use of resources IMo. 

Cue Balta post about how much the White Sox have spent on 1B/DH position since 2011...

6 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Unless he is thinking he wants to retire, but he wants to end his career as a Yankee. He is 34 after all, it wouldn't be shocking.

You’re probably right about this.  Plus I didn’t realize he has two years remaining on his original Blue Jays deal, so it’s unlikely he’s worried about his next contract.

Regardless, I don’t think this has much impact on Machado, although it may reiterate they only want Manny on their terms.

Machado has had the holidays now to think about where he’ll play. Plenty of time to decide, and I’m hoping we hear something definitive soon (as in next couple days). 

I almost sense Tulo is sort of a nudge, like hey - it’s time to decide because we’re not waiting around to fill out our roster. They couldn’t have waited another week or so after his decision?

12 minutes ago, Flash Tizzle said:

Machado has had the holidays now to think about where he’ll play. Plenty of time to decide, and I’m hoping we hear something definitive soon (as in next couple days). 

I almost sense Tulo is sort of a nudge, like hey - it’s time to decide because we’re not waiting around to fill out our roster. They couldn’t have waited another week or so after his decision?

See Alonso deal...it’s not like the White Sox couldn’t have promised to acquire him after he signed.   The Indians were elated to get out from under that contract.

The problem is that unless all the scouts who saw Tulo in his workouts thought he suddenly looked at least 75%, there’s actually zero leverage...besides, Machado if he really wants to play for the Yankees will agree to move back to 3B at some point during the season.

The main question is whether NY is willing to allow Machado to play SS from a health perspective.

Edited by caulfield12

Folks seem to think the Yankees are pressing hard to get Machado......could the meeting have been due diligence and the actual current market is only sox and phils with only market for Harper Chicago with one team needing to do a lot of money laundering to get him.

I'm thinking we get Machado and Harper back to Washington.

The White Sox can front load both deals like no other and give opt outs.....if rebuild goes to plan both guys opting out could be helpful and the dynamics of those types of deals could be the hold up in figuring it out.

• Thanks 1

• Heads22 changed the title to Machado: Update - Manny, do you officially like us?
  • southsider2k5 locked this topic