Machado: Update - Manny, do you officially like us?

Chicago White Sox

6 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

If you’re Rick Hahn and Manny’s agent comes to you and says I need another $25M or he may take less and sign with the Yankees, what would you do?  Let’s be real here, Rick knows they’re offering more than New York.  It’s a game of chicken on whether or not you believe the proposed $25M will actually make a difference.  You may think it’s stupid, but I’d probaly throw an extra $25M after seeing him follow the YES Network because it does just enough to make me think he’s willing to take less money to purse his dream of playing in New York.

You ask them if that’s an offer of a contract they will offer a handshake agreement on. If they don’t say yes then you don’t answer. If they say yes, you congratulate him on joining the white Sox.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Lillian said:

It's hard to understand why the Yankees would commit a huge amount of money to another bat. They already have plenty of offense. They need pitching, which is still, along with the rest of the defense, 80% of the game. Cashman knows that. New York's front office is probably just trying to take advantage of Machado's infatuation with the Yankees, in an attempt to get him at a discount. If the Sox are really prepared to spend the money, I think that they can entice him to give up his Yankee dream. I also think that his wife, brother-in-law and agents would all be pushing him to take the bigger payday and forget about being a Yankee. 

I still like the front loaded contract, with an opt out, at around year 5. If they get Machado, I hope that the Sox use whatever else they plan on spending, on pitching. Again, it's much more important and is what wins championships. Spend the money on the starting rotation and the bullpen. 

If you sign Machado, I think you still go after Harper.  Look at this projected 2020 lineup:

1. Moncada, 2B
  2. Machado, 3B
  3. Harper, RF
  4. Jimenez, LF
  5. Abreu, DH (via tender)
  6. Alonso / cheap vet, 1B
  7. Anderson, SS
  8. Collins, C
  9. Basabe, CF

All of a sudden, you have Madrigal and excess OFs (Robert would be off limits) that can be used in a package to acquire a stud TOR starter to head a young, talented staff.  I’d rather spend big on young positional guys and trade for an impact starter than vice versa.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

If you sign Machado, I think you still go after Harper.  Look at this projected 2020 lineup:

1. Moncada, 2B
  2. Machado, 3B
  3. Harper, RF
  4. Jimenez, LF
  7. Anderson, SS
  8. Collins, C
  9. Basabe, CF

All of a sudden, you have Madrigal and excess OFs (Robert would be off limits) that can be used in a package to acquire a stud TOR starter to head a young, talented staff.  I’d rather spend big on young positional guys and trade for an impact starter than vice versa.

Interesting lineup.  Gotta say, though, if Robert isn’t up in 2020, something has gone seriously wrong.

55 minutes ago, fathom said:

So a guy with strong Sox sources says he loves their chances with Machado, yet people are fixated on if he’s a jerk or not?  I get it, WSD isn’t for everyone.  But I trust him a hell of a lot more than Nightengale.

Yeah for whatever you think of Dave (not much) he IS connected.

10 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

1. Moncada, 2B
  2. Machado, 3B
  3. Harper, RF
  4. Jimenez, LF
  7. Anderson, SS
  8. Collins, C
  9. Basabe, CF

I agree with that line up but i could see Moncada in CF as well and Madrigal at 2B

If the sox do land Machado and Harper I would love to see them make a move for Ray, Dyson and Bradley from AZ

2019 25 man could look like this

DH - Abreu
C - Castillo
1B - Alonso*
2B - Moncada#
SS - Anderson
3B - Machado
LF - Jimenez
CF - Dyson*
RF - Harper*

C - McCann
MI - Rondon
IF - Sanchez#
UT - Garcia#

SP - Rodon*
SP - Ray*
SP - Lopez
SP - Nova
SP - Giolito

CL - Colome
SU - Fry*
SU - Bradley
MR - Jones
MR - Bummer*
LO - Frare*
LR - Covey

Just now, fathom said:

Said today he loves them. Only other thing he’s said recently was Sox were very, very confident they get one of the two.

Ahh, nice. That is encouraging to hear. After the Clark, Leyritz, Simonetti and IG stuff I was pretty much ready to hear the final news and be disappointed. Beef boy and recent reports have given me hope again. 

32 minutes ago, Lillian said:

It's hard to understand why the Yankees would commit a huge amount of money to another bat. They already have plenty of offense. They need pitching, which is still, along with the rest of the defense, 80% of the game. Cashman knows that. New York's front office is probably just trying to take advantage of Machado's infatuation with the Yankees, in an attempt to get him at a discount. If the Sox are really prepared to spend the money, I think that they can entice him to give up his Yankee dream. I also think that his wife, brother-in-law and agents would all be pushing him to take the bigger payday and forget about being a Yankee. 

I still like the front loaded contract, with an opt out, at around year 5. If they get Machado, I hope that the Sox use whatever else they plan on spending, on pitching. Again, it's much more important and is what wins championships. Spend the money on the starting rotation and the bullpen. 

My personal opinion is that 1) Cashman realizes he already got Didi’s best years, and isn’t planning to resign him, 2) Machado can play SS in the short-term, but the long-term solution is Gleyber at SS and Machado at 3B, and 3) the org has lost faith in Bird and believes Voit is probably just a flash in the pan.

I think that Andujar’s defensive struggles have been overblown by the media. A lot of his problems were with a throws, for example, which can be very flukey/unstable from season to season, and I think Cashman knows that. I think he figures that getting Machado either gives him a chance to put an impact bat at first base in the long term, or gives him a great trade chip, and both those scenarios sound nice. 

Edited by Eminor3rd

12 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

Interesting lineup.  Gotta say, though, if Robert isn’t up in 2020, something has gone seriously wrong.

This was just meant to be the opening day lineup.  I think Robert reaches at some point in 2020, but probably not right away.  Hopefully he pulls an Acuna this year and proves me wrong!

13 minutes ago, beautox said:

I agree with that line up but i could see Moncada in CF as well and Madrigal at 2B

If the sox do land Machado and Harper I would love to see them make a move for Ray, Dyson and Bradley from AZ

2019 25 man could look like this

DH - Abreu
C - Castillo
1B - Alonso*
2B - Moncada#
SS - Anderson
3B - Machado
LF - Jimenez
CF - Dyson*
RF - Harper*

C - McCann
MI - Rondon
IF - Sanchez#
UT - Garcia#

SP - Rodon*
SP - Ray*
SP - Lopez
SP - Nova
SP - Giolito

CL - Colome
SU - Fry*
SU - Bradley
MR - Jones
MR - Bummer*
LO - Frare*
LR - Covey

What’s it going to cost to land those guys?

4 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

My personal opinion is that 1) Cashman realizes he already got Didi’s best years, and isn’t planning to resign him, 2) Machado can play SS in the short-term, but the long-term solution is Gleyber at SS and Machado at 3B, and 3) the org has lost faith in Bird and believes Voit is probably just a flash in the pan.

I think that Andujar’s defensive struggles have been overblown by the media. A lot of his problems were with a throws, for example, which can be very flukey/unstable from season to season, and I think Cashman knows that. I think he figures that getting Machado either gives him a chance to put an impact bat at first base in the long term, or gives him a great trade chip, and both those scenarios sound nice. 

I think this is spot on, but I also think they love Didi and the Yankees have been pretty damn sentimental about re-signing players 

4 minutes ago, fathom said:

Pretty good 

I am not sure in those other situations the other team could choose to outbid the Yankees by $50 million if they choose to. It’s a moneys game right now and Sox should be in driver seat.

Edited by thxfrthmmrs

12 minutes ago, bmags said:

I think this is spot on, but I also think they love Didi and the Yankees have been pretty damn sentimental about re-signing players 

Didi’s also much more valuable to the Yankees than anyone else IMO. His left handed bat plays up in that stadium with the RF porch. I wonder what his SLG% is outside that park. I’d bet it’s lower.

30 minutes ago, beautox said:

Ray and Bradley have 2 and 3 years left on their contract; they're good, but would cost a lot and leave any real long term contention up to Hahn's drafting, of which has not been shown to be a favorable proposition.
Dyson is basically a mid-30s version of Engel.

Edited by GreenSox

18 minutes ago, bmags said:

Didi is definitely extremely popular in the city. I haven’t worked with him personally yet but my colleagues says he’s extremely nice, accommodating, and charismatic with fans and staff when he’s doing appearances and stuff. 

While it does seem like they’ve been sentimental with bringing guys back lately, they’ve really all been guys that come back to fill what would be an organizational hole. I’m not sure we’ve seen them bring a vet back to block a better long term path quite yet. You could argue Gardner is an exception, but he isn’t really blocking anyone and can fake center, so he lets them pretend Ellsbury doesn’t exist a little longer. 

Edited by Eminor3rd

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

What’s it going to cost to land those guys?

To land Ray, Dyson and Bradley it will take reasonable package.

Ray has 2 years of control left and is projected for 6M this year and lets just double that for his last year at 12 so 18M, hes projected for 3.2 fWAR so just keep that consistant and his surplus value is roughly 40Mish, Dyson is owed 3.5M and is projected for 1.8 fWAR so his surplus value is 12.7M and is a FA after '19 and Bradley has three years of control left and is projected to make 2M in ARB1 and projected for 1.1 fWAR, likely 20Mish in surplus value. So all told 72M in surplus value.

So something like Dunning + Basabe + Adolfo + Palka & Fulmer as throw ins

• Heads22 changed the title to Machado: Update - Manny, do you officially like us?
  • southsider2k5 locked this topic