Chicago White Sox

Machado: Update - Manny, do you officially like us?

So, as many expected, WSD's "scoop city" was nothing but an attention grab. He is starting a Barstool Chicago office or something like that. This is why he gets a bad reputation, because he implies he has a White Sox-related scoop, then the scoop concerns nothing related to the White Sox. 

1 minute ago, fathom said:

None of those details have been proven false yet though

I know Bob is not widely respected here, but he tweeted out last night Machado will he getting final offers this week, and I think the biggest red flag is with how much uncertainty around the situation, it’s hard for him to know they had planned a conference to announce the signing on Jan 7th last week.

4 minutes ago, maggsmaggs said:

So, as many expected, WSD's "scoop city" was nothing but an attention grab. He is starting a Barstool Chicago office or something like that. This is why he gets a bad reputation, because he implies he has a White Sox-related scoop, then the scoop concerns nothing related to the White Sox. 

To be fair, he never said it was a baseball announcement. As a matter of fact, when he said announcement and not rumor, I figured it wasn’t a baseball rumor.

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

To be fair, he never said it was a baseball announcement. As a matter of fact, when he said announcement and not rumor, I figured it wasn’t a baseball rumor.

Ya, but he included it at the bottom of a baseball-related article in which he was gloating about being "right" on a baseball-related scoop.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So a guy with strong Sox sources says he loves their chances with Machado, yet people are fixated on if he’s a jerk or not?  I get it, WSD isn’t for everyone.  But I trust him a hell of a lot more than Nightengale.

• Like 7

On 12/31/2018 at 5:15 PM, Chicago White Sox said:

I will say this, you’d think his agent would tell him not do anything revealing on social media until they’ve got something signed, sealed, & delivered.  So either something is in the “finalizing” stages or they’ve stepped their plant game to another level.

Ever think Manny gave his agent permission to follow certain Yankee things as a negotiating ploy ? 2 things we have heard about MM a lot and that is he loves the Yankees and he loves money. So let's say the Yankees offer is less than the Sox but agent wants Sox to think he's going to the Yanks. Seems to me to be the right way to go about getting a better offer from the Sox. To me it's unethical but not illegal. I believe in negotiating in good faith but that's a bit old fashioned and probably has been done in the past by other agents. The bigger twitter gets the more it will be a cesspool for this kind of behavior and may also involve bribes.

Just now, fathom said:

So a guy with strong Sox sources says he loves their chances with Machado, yet people are fixated on if he’s a jerk or not?  I get it, WSD isn’t for everyone.  But I trust him a hell of a lot more than Nightengale.

Agreed him and Brian i trust them bob nightingale 

31 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

Absurd? I guess the first thing is what is your definition of "competing". Because mine is actually having a shot at winning the World Series. So in my own definition I don't count the Braves as a serious competitor this past year. Sure they won the division but they were never making it through the gauntlet of the playoffs as champs. Likewise, the Astros are a perfect example. In 2015 they won 86 games and went as a WC.. nice season? yes. But it was laying groundwork. They never really had a shot at winnign it all. 2016 they won 84 games and didn't make the playoffs. Obviously 2017 worked out great.

So, maybe by your definition my thoughts are absurd, but my thoughts are more or less this:

2019: hopefully a great, healthy year in the minors, players move up to AAA. Maybe a Cease or others hits the majors

2020: Your Madrigals, Dunnings, and Kopechs all take their licks in the MLB. Hot/cold season. Up and down.

2021: Your second wave of prospects --- Rutherford, Adolfos, Burgers, etc. get their seasoning while your Kopech, Cease, Dunnings, start really coming into form.

2022: Everything finally comes together.

So yes, I standby 2022 being the first REAL year that a Sox team can compete seriously against teams like the Yankees and Red Sox and Astros currently are putting out.

That's assuming no injuries and prospects all getting better... let's not forget we thought Moncada would be an All-Star and Giolito could be a nice 2-3 starter. Hansen was supposed to be a 2-3 starter too... now he's what? And Fulmer, etc. etc. things don't go that smoothly very often. Robert is probably more likely to be Jorge Soler than Mookie Betts. So yes, 2022. I guess I'm absurd.

This isn't the NBA, any team that makes the playoffs is a title contender.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Ever think Manny gave his agent permission to follow certain Yankee things as a negotiating ploy ? 2 things we have heard about MM a lot and that is he loves the Yankees and he loves money. So let's say the Yankees offer is less than the Sox but agent wants Sox to think he's going to the Yanks. Seems to me to be the right way to go about getting a better offer from the Sox. To me it's unethical but not illegal. I believe in negotiating in good faith but that's a bit old fashioned and probably has been done in the past by other agents. The bigger twitter gets the more it will be a cesspool for this kind of behavior and may also involve bribes.

I think that’s definitely a legit possibility. And let’s be honest, Harper just did the same think by liking a Dodgers post.  Social media is a powerful tool and agents are going to use tool in their disposal to maximize value for their client and ultimately themselves.

1 hour ago, maggsmaggs said:

Exact quote is "HUGE #ScoopCity announcement coming up at 12pm EST (eyeball emoji)." We'll see if he's just trying to get attention or actually has something.

Someone may have already mentioned it by now, but the announcement was that the Red Line Radio boys are now going full-time with Barstool and they are opening up a Chicago office.

26 minutes ago, fathom said:

Seriously. Like him or not, we don't care, but clearly his intel is good.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, fathom said:

The guy is not for me, but you are right his sources have been pretty good. Better than anyone's sources here(Since Rock's sources have mostly dried up), and better than any of the beat reporters. 

Nightengale is a stooge for a couple of agents and a couple of FO people. Everything he tweets has an agenda behind it. There is really not much point following anything he says.

7 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

If a team upped their offer based on someone following a twitter account........................

Well you sure seem convinced Machado is as good as gone. What led you to think that? Was it just one or many in a series of twitter posts about it ? Clark, Simonetti. Sox supposed interest in other options, Manny following Yankees things on twitter etc.. haven't influenced you at all have they ?

9 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

If a team upped their offer based on someone following a twitter account........................

If you’re Rick Hahn and Manny’s agent comes to you and says I need another $25M or he may take less and sign with the Yankees, what would you do?  Let’s be real here, Rick knows they’re offering more than New York.  It’s a game of chicken on whether or not you believe the proposed $25M will actually make a difference.  You may think it’s stupid, but I’d probaly throw an extra $25M after seeing him follow the YES Network because it does just enough to make me think he’s willing to take less money to purse his dream of playing in New York.

It's hard to understand why the Yankees would commit a huge amount of money to another bat. They already have plenty of offense. They need pitching, which is still, along with the rest of the defense, 80% of the game. Cashman knows that. New York's front office is probably just trying to take advantage of Machado's infatuation with the Yankees, in an attempt to get him at a discount. If the Sox are really prepared to spend the money, I think that they can entice him to give up his Yankee dream. I also think that his wife, brother-in-law and agents would all be pushing him to take the bigger payday and forget about being a Yankee. 

I still like the front loaded contract, with an opt out, at around year 5. If they get Machado, I hope that the Sox use whatever else they plan on spending, on pitching. Again, it's much more important and is what wins championships. Spend the money on the starting rotation and the bullpen. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lillian said:

It's hard to understand why the Yankees would commit a huge amount of money to another bat. They already have plenty of offense. They need pitching, which is still, along with the rest of the defense, 80% of the game. Cashman knows that. New York's front office is probably just trying to take advantage of Machado's infatuation with the Yankees, in an attempt to get him at a discount. If the Sox are really prepared to spend the money, I think that they can entice him to give up his Yankee dream. I also think that his wife, brother-in-law and agents would all be pushing him to take the bigger payday and forget about being a Yankee. 

I still like the front loaded contract, with an opt out, at around year 5. If they get Machado, I hope that the Sox use whatever else they plan on spending, on pitching. Again, it's much more important and is what wins championships. Spend the money on the starting rotation and the bullpen. 

Well getting Manny to play 3B would also allow them to upgrade their defense while keeping their offense great and give them a great asset to go out and get that pitching you say they need.

6 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

If you’re Rick Hahn and Manny’s agent comes to you and says I need another $25M or he may take less and sign with the Yankees, what would you do?  Let’s be real here, Rick knows they’re offering more than New York.  It’s a game of chicken on whether or not you believe the proposed $25M will actually make a difference.  You may think it’s stupid, but I’d probaly throw an extra $25M after seeing him follow the YES Network because it does just enough to make me think he’s willing to take less money to purse his dream of playing in New York.

You ask them if that’s an offer of a contract they will offer a handshake agreement on. If they don’t say yes then you don’t answer. If they say yes, you congratulate him on joining the white Sox.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

You ask them if that’s an offer of a contract they will offer a handshake agreement on. If they don’t say yes then you don’t answer. If they say yes, you congratulate him on joining the white Sox.

Perfect way to answer.

3 minutes ago, Lillian said:

If you sign Machado, I think you still go after Harper.  Look at this projected 2020 lineup:

1. Moncada, 2B
  2. Machado, 3B
  3. Harper, RF
  4. Jimenez, LF
  5. Abreu, DH (via tender)
  6. Alonso / cheap vet, 1B
  7. Anderson, SS
  8. Collins, C
  9. Basabe, CF

All of a sudden, you have Madrigal and excess OFs (Robert would be off limits) that can be used in a package to acquire a stud TOR starter to head a young, talented staff.  I’d rather spend big on young positional guys and trade for an impact starter than vice versa.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

If you sign Machado, I think you still go after Harper.  Look at this projected 2020 lineup:

1. Moncada, 2B
  2. Machado, 3B
  3. Harper, RF
  4. Jimenez, LF
  7. Anderson, SS
  8. Collins, C
  9. Basabe, CF

All of a sudden, you have Madrigal and excess OFs (Robert would be off limits) that can be used in a package to acquire a stud TOR starter to head a young, talented staff.  I’d rather spend big on young positional guys and trade for an impact starter than vice versa.

Interesting lineup.  Gotta say, though, if Robert isn’t up in 2020, something has gone seriously wrong.

55 minutes ago, fathom said:

Yeah for whatever you think of Dave (not much) he IS connected.

10 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

1. Moncada, 2B
  2. Machado, 3B
  3. Harper, RF
  4. Jimenez, LF
  7. Anderson, SS
  8. Collins, C
  9. Basabe, CF

I agree with that line up but i could see Moncada in CF as well and Madrigal at 2B

If the sox do land Machado and Harper I would love to see them make a move for Ray, Dyson and Bradley from AZ

2019 25 man could look like this

DH - Abreu
C - Castillo
1B - Alonso*
2B - Moncada#
SS - Anderson
3B - Machado
LF - Jimenez
CF - Dyson*
RF - Harper*

C - McCann
MI - Rondon