Machado: Update - Manny, do you officially like us?

Chicago White Sox

1 hour ago, OmarComing25 said:

This isn't the NBA, any team that makes the playoffs is a title contender.

Matter of opinion. Twins weren't winning anything two years ago, nor were the Braves this year. Or Rockies.. Or Athletics. There's a reason their odds of winning the WS were set very high by Vegas.. They min win a game or even a series, but they aren't winning 3 series back to back when you've got a Trevor Cahill on the mound or a 'Sean Newcomb pitching in a big game.

You may not want to admit it, but most of the time you can narrow the field down to 3-4 legit contenders. Last year I'd argue that was the BoSox, Astros, and the Indians (Indians were a fringe -- the OF was lacking, but the pitching could be dominant in the right stretch) In the NL you had the Cubs (had many of their own warts) and Dodgers.... Brewers weren't going to beat the anybody in the AL head to head over 7 games.

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

That's not good.

I think its great, just further proves that Boras miscalulated and is likely over extended. Washington doesn't need Harper. Robles & Eaton are both projected for 2.5 fWAR and Soto is 4.5 fWAR 

4 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

I kind of expected it. A one last chance kinda thing.

5 hours sounds a lot more than a one last chance thing with a franchise you have already been with for 6 years.  There are a lot of things that don't need to be discussed in a situation like that.

1 hour ago, Lillian said:

It's hard to understand why the Yankees would commit a huge amount of money to another bat. They already have plenty of offense. They need pitching, which is still, along with the rest of the defense, 80% of the game. Cashman knows that. New York's front office is probably just trying to take advantage of Machado's infatuation with the Yankees, in an attempt to get him at a discount. If the Sox are really prepared to spend the money, I think that they can entice him to give up his Yankee dream. I also think that his wife, brother-in-law and agents would all be pushing him to take the bigger payday and forget about being a Yankee. 

I still like the front loaded contract, with an opt out, at around year 5. If they get Machado, I hope that the Sox use whatever else they plan on spending, on pitching. Again, it's much more important and is what wins championships. Spend the money on the starting rotation and the bullpen. 

It's just allocating money in a different way. You spend $35mm on Machado and flip the controllable Andujar for a front line pitcher via trade. You can't buy a controllable pitcher for $35mm out there. You struck out on your top target on Corbin and all that's left is Keuchel. If they don't like him, then the best route where you have money to spend is to get someone like Machado and trade Andujar. You can definitely trade for a difference maker easier than signing one (Verlander, Sale, Cole, etc. are all examples). Bumgarner, Greinke, Kluber ... I think it's pretty clear as day what the Yankees are doing here...

6 minutes ago, Tony said:

1. I'm sure the Nats would love to have Bryce back, and their price. 

2. If your Boras, why wouldn't you want to bring the Nats back into the conversation, and make sure everyone knows about it? That's his job. 

re: #2, the only part about that i'd object to is you have the nats that were essentially discounted at the beginning as being unable to meet the price, along with their public offering of 10 / 300 (more like 280 with 20 deferred). Going back to them says that the market was not substantially beyond that. So I think at very least it's nice for harper to have this 10/300 floor, but if he was hoping for a massive payday beyond that it's clear it didn't exist.

2 hours ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

Kudos to those who were calling Clark’s tweet BS last week. Now that the big boys are returning to work, all signs point to him spewing BS without real information last week. He was either trying to strike first with a scoop by picking the most likely scenario while others are taking the week off, or he was fed with bad information and wanted to go down in flame with it.

I like kudos.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Sleepy Harold said:

Sure Bruce.

Bruce is really dead set on this. I just don't see this is even remotely possible for many reasons. Why would they be hung up over 3 extra years for 26 year olds. Harper already turned down a 10 year offer. Why would the Sox believe they can get either for 7? Sounds so stupid.

4 minutes ago, Quin said:

This confirms that the Sox are offering at least 14 year contracts.

6 minutes ago, Orlando said:

Bruce is really dead set on this. I just don't see this is even remotely possible for many reasons. Why would they be hung up over 3 extra years for 26 year olds. Harper already turned down a 10 year offer. Why would the Sox believe they can get either for 7? Sounds so stupid.

I wonder who his industry resource is? Jim Bowden?

9 minutes ago, Dam8610 said:

If the Sox aren't offering more than 7 years, we can just forget it now. That said, Bruce Levine is less than reliable.

Sounds like the negotiations are getting serious if the Sox need start making details public. 

Edited by ptatc

• Heads22 changed the title to Machado: Update - Manny, do you officially like us?
  • southsider2k5 locked this topic