Dodgers & Reds trade (Kemp, Puig, & Wood to CIN, Bailey, Josiah Gray & Jeter Downs to LA)

Sleepy Harold

4 hours ago, turnin' two said:

Odd to see this said about a team with Kershaw.  Especially considering Kluber's postseason ERA is just about 4, and has been worse than that the last 2 postseasons (10.64 the last 2 years, though he has only pitched 11 innings -- in 3 starts, but still 13 ER).

Kershaw is declining though. With his drop in velocity and loss of effectiveness of his slider I’d honestly bet the days of sub 3 ERA Kershaw are gone.

4 hours ago, fathom said:

Clearly no way to prove this, but I'm willing to bet every team in baseball had Fulmer ranked higher than Buehler.  Buehler's health was always an issue, and I have a very, very hard time seeing the Sox picking someone that that high that they know will likely need TJS sooner than later.

Then why trade for Kopech when he was at heightened risk from trying to push for max velocity?  Not sure why there would be much distinction in drafting versus picking said pitcher up a couple of years later?

It’s also pretty clear Fulmer didn’t exactly possess smooth mechanics, either.

Edited by caulfield12

2 minutes ago, Sockin said:

Dodgers in talks for Kluber and Castellanos. They want a right handed OF. Could be posturing to get Bryce to bring his ask down.

Bryce Harper should not get his ask down. He hasn't kept Scott Boras as his agent for the first 7 years of his pro career to "Get his ask down for the Dodgers". 

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Bryce Harper should not get his ask down. He hasn't kept Scott Boras as his agent for the first 7 years of his pro career to "Get his ask down for the Dodgers". 

Oh for sure but there might be merit to the Dodgers not wanting to spend on a long Harper contract.

28 minutes ago, Sockin said:

Oh for sure but there might be merit to the Dodgers not wanting to spend on a long Harper contract.

Then he isn't going to the Dodgers.

You don't get drafted out of high school with Scott Boras as your agent, win an MVP award in your early 20s, and keep Boras as your agent the entire time to give the highest spending team in baseball a discount of hundreds of millions of dollars. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

You don't get drafted out of high school with Scott Boras as your agent, win an MVP award in your early 20s, and keep Boras as your agent the entire time to give the highest spending team in baseball a discount of hundreds of millions of dollars. 

Especially when a team is willing to mad money on you

1 hour ago, Quinarvy said:

Especially when a team is willing to mad money on you

Thought Peavy was back for a second until noticing the author’s name...unless we believe he pretty much is determined not to sign with the Phillies.  Or that’s simply a ploy to get the Phils or other teams to offer even more.

Edited by caulfield12

2 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

This seems to make a whole heck of a lot of sense. 

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Thought Peavy was back for a second until noticing the author’s name...unless we believe he pretty much is determined not to sign with the Phillies.  Or that’s simply a ploy to get the Phils or other teams to offer even more.

Eh, I had a typo. 

This isn't such a bad deal for the reds. They take on 1 year each of Puig and Kemp for 2 years of Bailey. The reds will free up money a year sooner because of this trade. Kemp and Puig upgrade their lineup and Wood is a big upgrade over Bailey.  I like this trade for both teams.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, BlackSox13 said:

This isn't such a bad deal for the reds. They take on 1 year each of Puig and Kemp for 2 years of Bailey. The reds will free up money a year sooner because of this trade. Kemp and Puig upgrade their lineup and Wood is a big upgrade over Bailey.  I like this trade for both teams.

I would have been fine with it for Cinci if they weren't giving up Gray and Downs. Silly.

5 hours ago, BlackSox13 said:

Why did they have to trade good prospects in exchange for a salary dump (by both sides)? 

14 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

I would have been fine with it for Cinci if they weren't giving up Gray and Downs. Silly.

This was where I was.

The Dodgers got increased flexibility for 2019 with this move, and get prospects on top of it. Yes, the Reds got some major league help for next season, but I feel like they should have had a stronger position to not give up good prospects.

4 minutes ago, spiderman said:

This was where I was.

The Dodgers got increased flexibility for 2019 with this move, and get prospects on top of it. Yes, the Reds got some major league help for next season, but I feel like they should have had a stronger position to not give up good prospects.

The Reds are getting a couple of decent players (Puig, Wood) while the Dodgers are not.  As such, I think L.A. should be getting prospects back.  The problem here is what does this actually accomplish for the Reds?  They’re still not going to be good next year and then they just lose all these guys.  From a big picture standpoint, it just seems like a dumb move.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The Reds are getting a couple of decent players (Puig, Wood) while the Dodgers are not.  As such, I think L.A. should be getting prospects back.  The problem here is what does this actually accomplish for the Reds?  They’re still not going to be good next year and then they just lose all these guys.  From a big picture standpoint, it just seems like a dumb move.

Totally agree. Unless the Reds actually believe they can flip Puig and Wood at the deadline for better returns than they gave up?