Dodgers & Reds trade (Kemp, Puig, & Wood to CIN, Bailey, Josiah Gray & Jeter Downs to LA)

Sleepy Harold

14 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

FWIW, as a matter of making baseball moves here everything you've said about them already having a number of outfielders is right, and the money still doesn't add up if they actually want to stay out of the tax just yet, but if I were in their shoes I'd probably be willing to make exceptions for the right player to every one of those. 

Is Bryce that guy though?  I want him more than anything, but a huge part of that is what his marketability brings to our franchise potentially.  The Dodgers wouldn’t reap those same benefits.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Berlinger, Taylor, & Pederson combined for 9.4 fWAR (3.1 each) last year.  Harper had 3.5.  I think Bryce is a better player than that, but is he worth $40M+ in the short-term for what might end being only a moderate upgrade.  I just can’t see Friedman doing that, but I know I’m in the minority on this one.

I wish I could say I agree with you man, but the light seems to be dimming quickly on this one....

5 minutes ago, raBBit said:

You might want do a refresher on the rules if you're going to speak so matter of factually on this. People might parrot your thoughts on the rules thinking they're accurate but they're not. 

Wouldn't it be more helpful to correct it, than to just be snarky?

Edited by turnin' two
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Ross Gload Fan said:

This makes me afraid there are more stupid teams out there willing to help the Cubs. :(

The difference is that the Cubs bad contracts are generally more long term (J-Hey, Darvish) or else are for players they need to compete (Hamels and Lester). I'm not sure I see a way for them to free up payroll without getting significantly worse on paper.

22 minutes ago, raBBit said:

You might want do a refresher on the rules if you're going to speak so matter of factually on this. People might parrot your thoughts on the rules thinking they're accurate but they're not. 

You could have been nice and told me which rule I was using incorrectly? I'd be interested to know. I've literally read that section of the CBA twice today and the tweet by Passan shows an even higher total luxury tax number for the Dodgers than the conservative one I came up with so what did I miss?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

With a Scott Boras negotiation? Even if the White Sox have a 10/$400 offer and no one comes close to that, he'd probably sit there and wait - either he'd hope that someone else might enter the game or he'd hope that the White Sox would bid against themselves a little bit to make sure the deal got done. There's been no reason to believe that any of the current suitors for Harper would drop out or that the market would dry up, even if Machado signed - which we know he wasn't going to do while touring sites. 

RaBBit said that the Phillies being out and the white sox with the only substantial offer on the table (it seems), if Bryce was going to sign he already would've. Outside of the Phillies, nobody else can match the offer the white sox can-and presumably- have put out. And teams are much more careful these days about bidding against themselves

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Berlinger, Taylor, & Pederson combined for 9.4 fWAR (3.1 each) last year.  Harper had 3.5.  I think Bryce is a better player than that, but is he worth $40M+ in the short-term for what might end being only a moderate upgrade.  I just can’t see Friedman doing that, but I know I’m in the minority on this one.

I hope you're right but I just dont think you will be unfortunately

Just now, daggins said:

The Reds did genuinely improve their rotation by adding Wood. That said, Puig and Kemp are mostly expensive dead weight, so it kinda evens out.

They'll probably trade Senzel and Trammel for Kluber now.

Yeah but he's in a walk year, so it still doesn't make a lot of sense to add wood

I give the Reds credit. They gave up some low level prospects and got a couple 1 year rental players. At least that makes them a little more interesting for their fans after losing 95 games last year. They sign a pitcher or two they might be able to be somewhat competitive. 

1 minute ago, Lightning said:

I give the Reds credit. They gave up some low level prospects and got a couple 1 year rental players. At least that makes them a little more interesting for their fans after losing 95 games last year. They sign a pitcher or two they might be able to be somewhat competitive. 

They still may be in on Kluber too, who knows.