Dodgers & Reds trade (Kemp, Puig, & Wood to CIN, Bailey, Josiah Gray & Jeter Downs to LA)

Sleepy Harold

Just now, Lightning said:

I give the Reds credit. They gave up some low level prospects and got a couple 1 year rental players. At least that makes them a little more interesting for their fans after losing 95 games last year. They sign a pitcher or two they might be able to be somewhat competitive. 

The Reds are providing eyewash to their fanbase while being a mule for the Dodgers to finish off their roster.  

3 minutes ago, Lightning said:

I give the Reds credit. They gave up some low level prospects and got a couple 1 year rental players. At least that makes them a little more interesting for their fans after losing 95 games last year. They sign a pitcher or two they might be able to be somewhat competitive. 

Don't encourage them. Or the Sox lol

8 minutes ago, Lightning said:

They just traded a 2017 1st rounder for a bunch of rentals.  Our fanbase would be livid if we did something like that and rightfully so.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

I might be naive but I don’t think the Dodgers go after Harper. I’m thinking Pollock and Realmuto

We’re on the same page fathom, I’m gusssing they trade Verdugo+ for Kluber or Realmuto and then turn around and sign Pollack for a fraction of the cost of Harper.  That’s a way better use of their financial resources IMO.

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

They just traded a 2017 1st rounder for a bunch of rentals.  Our fanbase would be livid if we did something like that and rightfully so.

Well, if we'd traded Burger for some rentals...I'm not sure I'd be that livid right now. I might be kinda happy to get anything.

15 minutes ago, Tony said:

Please. All we got this offseason, from both Rick and Kenny was how aggressive they were going to be, this offseason is different, etc. 

I see there is a contingent already making excuses...

Uh they obviously have been aggressive, but never said it was guaranteed to result in anything like the Phillies did. Those two things can be true, and not excuses

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Well, if we'd traded Burger for some rentals...I'm not sure I'd be that livid right now. I might be kinda happy to get anything.

A “husky” guy with huge question marks about being able to stick at 3B and just ruptured his Achilles twice is probably not an apt comparison.  And yes, I’d be pissed if we traded him in this type of deal.

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

We’re on the same page fathom, I’m gusssing they trade Verdugo+ for Kluber or Realmuto and then turn around and sign Pollack for a fraction of the cost of Harper.  That’s a way better use of their financial resources IMO.

I really don't think it would make sense for them to get harper, but ultimately I think that's what they end up doing

1 minute ago, Tony said:

No one has ever said it was a guarantee. Not the White Sox, not the Phillies, no team ever has said that. It doesn’t have to be that black and white for expectations to exponentially raised and tone not turned down by this front office, which it wasn’t at all this entire offseason. 

You just agreed with the notion that the white sox swore on a stack of bibles that they would sign one of the big 2, and now you're saying they never guaranteed? The white sox have never made comments alluding to something like that, but the Phillies did when they said they were going to spend stupid money. That essentially alluded to their fans that they would land one of the big fish. I agree that expectations of aggressiveness weren't downplayed, but Hahn specifically said that just because they're aggressive didn't mean they would land one

• Like 1

Too early to tell if the Sox have been aggressive. If they were the top offer and the player decided to go elsewhere , ok I get that. Also, if the contract went north of 40 million a year , sure don’t want to mortgage the future. 

The Sox are at the plate but are they swinging or just watching the pitches go by? 

Even the Reds are swinging they may not be hitting well but they are putting stuff in play and so are a lot of other teams. 

Hopefully the Sox hit a HR and not playing with warning track power. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Burger was a reach and otherwise dubious pick, but, no, the Sox don't need a bunch of rentals.  They need to develop a core, if they can.

Too early to tell if the Sox have been aggressive. If they were the top offer and the player decided to go elsewhere , ok I get that. Also, if the contract went north of 40 million a year , sure don’t want to mortgage the future. 

The Sox are at the plate but are they swinging or just watching the pitches go by? 

Even the Reds are swinging they may not be hitting well but they are putting stuff in play and so are a lot of other teams. 

What are we going to use that money on that is going to help this roster more than one of these 2 guys? Haven't we seen already how rotten the mid-range of the free agent market is? Did people look at the deal Corbin got and really think "Gosh I wish we'd done that"? To me, if you want to avoid mortaging the future...stay out of that range in the market, that's where you get hurt the most.

• Like 2

If they are in the final 3 with the Yankees that can only mean they have outbid them. Also to be in the final stage of teams after 100 losses means they did something to get Mannys attention.  I suppose he could really be excited about our minor leaguers,  but there is about a 99% chance this means we offered an obscene amount of money to him to keep his attention.