Dodgers & Reds trade (Kemp, Puig, & Wood to CIN, Bailey, Josiah Gray & Jeter Downs to LA)

Sleepy Harold

34 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

No way. There is no reason to trade for rental players like Puig. It doesn't move the rebuild further, if anything you take a slight step back because you lost one of your top prospects.

I was never really a big fan of Burger. With 2 Achilles injuries, I'd take productive MLB players for him, because I don't think he'll turn into one.

15 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Kluber + Pollock is a better use of resources than Harper (for them) and could be had for probably less total dollars.  I do think they’ll go back and make an offer for Harper first, but I think it will be of the 4 or 5 year variety and I can’t see Bryce accepting that.

Kluber, yes.  Pollock is one of those mid tier FA who are best avoided, imo.  
As for Harper, they'll probably have to break the luxury tax, but I think they'll do it with a shorter term deal. Yes that would mean Harper "leaves money on the table" but he'll be 30 when he has a chance to get it back and more.

First off, I know exactly one Cubs fan, and that's my brother who lives in another part of the country. Therefore, I hope the Cubs, Cards, and Brewers dominate that division and the Reds don't put up a winning record for 20 years. I know tanking pisses people off, but acquiring shitty contracts for marginal improvement so that other teams can swing for the fences is embarrassing. Screw the Reds- although I feel sorry for their fans, because they're still going to suck.

Second, let Harper go to LA. I wanted him, but the truth is, he's not a $40 million player. Two years of an OPS over .900, and only one which was actually a full season. Limited defensive value. And there have been so many FA disasters in recent years. Look at Heyward, Pujols, Cabrera, Davis, Sandoval, Hanley Ramirez, Desmond, Fowler, Gordon, Cespedes, etc. If we're dubious about Harper's value now, how do you think we're gonna feel in eight years when he's 34 and not even playing RF anymore? A $40 million DH? No thanks.

Third, I don't blame anyone for this, but we've gotten really caught up in the shiny object of the last two months, but before that, did we really think we had any chance at these guys? No. It doesn't speak well of Hahn to be inflating our hopes, but two months ago, we still thought we were gonna be dominant in a few years. Why? Because of Eloy, Kopech, Cease, Robert, Madrigal, 2019 #3, Moncada, Lopez, Gio (?), Collins, and so on.

So let's remember the main allure of our franchise as it stands now. 3B looks like a hole for the foreseeable future, so Machado would be nice, but if that fails (and I'm not yet certain it will), let's not play the games of 2014-15 and sign the second rate guys. Save the cash for later, and focus on our organization's primary strength right now. I don't think the future looks grim for us at all.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

If they miss on these two guys, it puts the rebuild in a really tough spot. 

It shouldn't though. Other successful rebuilders didn't need FAs at this level (or at this point in the rebuild) to build the core and complete the mission.   
I think they need them because, well, Hahn is running this rebuild and I think he needs a boost.  But it shouldn't.

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

I think it's either Harper or Pollock, and not both for them (unless the end up trading Bellinger)

1B- Bellinger

2B- Muncy

SS- Seager

3B- Turner 

LF- Joc

CF- Pollock

RF- Harper

Taylor and Keke as super subs. 

Don’t know about the financial aspect but they can def fit both guys into their lineup

Just now, TheFutureIsNear said:

1B- Bellinger

2B- Muncy

SS- Seager

3B- Turner 

LF- Joc

CF- Pollock

RF- Harper

Don’t know about the financial aspect but they can def fit both guys into their lineup

And Taylor and Keke get no shortage of at bats with most of those guys being lefties. 

4 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Kluber, yes.  Pollock is one of those mid tier FA who are best avoided, imo.  
As for Harper, they'll probably have to break the luxury tax, but I think they'll do it with a shorter term deal. Yes that would mean Harper "leaves money on the table" but he'll be 30 when he has a chance to get it back and more.

The chances Harper passes on signicant money is slim to none IMO.  He wants a record breaking contract.

6 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

It shouldn't though. Other successful rebuilders didn't need FAs at this level (or at this point in the rebuild) to build the core and complete the mission.   
I think they need them because, well, Hahn is running this rebuild and I think he needs a boost.  But it shouldn't.

Which rebuilds are you referring to?  Make sure not to include the Cubs.

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Which rebuilds are you referring to?  Make sure not to include the Cubs.

Lester was about 60% of the cost of these guys.  But Astros, Brewers, Braves, As, etc. Indians didn't need anyone like that.
You just have to be able to assemble a large group of ascending young players in order to win (harper/machado or not).

43 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Not sure if this was posted earlier.

Michael J Duarte knows exactly zero "rival executives".

No rival executive would be "blown away" if a player that is under contract on a contending team isn't traded, let alone to a specific team.  

5 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Lester was about 60% of the cost of these guys.  But Astros, Brewers, Braves, As, etc. Indians didn't need anyone like that.
You just have to be able to assemble a large group of ascending young players in order to win (harper/machado or not).

what you have to be able to do is develop your own offensive players.  The Astros/Cubs/Braves/Indians have done that.  We know the Sox are horrendous at this, and last year wasn't very inspiring at the major league level.  It's fine though, the staff changes at the big league level will help fix things.

27 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

1B- Bellinger

2B- Muncy

SS- Seager

3B- Turner 

LF- Joc

CF- Pollock

RF- Harper

This Muncy idea is not even as good as Mark Teahen at 2B or in the outfield.

11 minutes ago, fathom said:

what you have to be able to do is develop your own offensive players.  The Astros/Cubs/Braves/Indians have done that.  We know the Sox are horrendous at this, and last year wasn't very inspiring at the major league level.  It's fine though, the staff changes at the big league level will help fix things.

Feels like that last sentence is sarcasm.

I still figure the Sox will go 10/ 350 for either guy and should not go further. I would never get drawn into Scott Boras and his silly games. I would give him 10 minutes on the phone and let him get back to me. You have to draw a line and not cross it. I do not have any locker room sources. 

They better take out a yuge insurance policy on Eloy, because any type of injury to our franchise hitter would send even some of the biggest fans into cryofreeze for another couple of years.

So far, the only surprise is the Indians didn’t get that group of Dodgers’ outfielders for Santana, but we will see where things stand after the expected Kluber/Bauer deal.   Pollock to the Indians for 3-4 years actually makes some sense, paired with Verdugo.  He would have to come down into the $60-65 million range, though, for that to occur.

That would force the Dodgers to up their offer for Harper.   As long as he has multiple options (Braves, Padres, Nats, Phillies, White Sox), Boras still is in control of things.

Of course, if they’re going to maximize the return for pitching, the Indians might not want to antagonize Friedman like that.

My guess (note: not any sources :p) is that this is NOT a move to get Harper. Too many people here are calling doomsday prior to anything really happens.

As already alluded to in this thread, if they Sign Harper they will still need to get creative with the financial aspects to not go over the luxury tax. Further, Harper is IMO NOT beneficial to their team needs compared to other assets available on the market. 

• Love 1