What would you prefer?

Dominikk85

Just now, OmarComing25 said:

That’s not what I’m arguing.

Hypothetical scenario A: The White Sox get a bunch of fluky career years out of otherwise mediocre players and win a title, but for the following 5 seasons the team averages 68 wins a season and don’t sniff the playoffs. Talent evaluation is still highly questionable.

Hypothetical scenario B: The White Sox average 95 wins over a six year stret h with 5 playoff appearances and two pennants but zero titles.

Even if the window of contention is now closing in scenario B which do you feel better about going forward and which one does more to generate fan interest?

I think that both of your scenarios are likely to be followed by years of losing, and I think that the team with a title and a trophy has had more fun and built more fan interest. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I think that both of your scenarios are likely to be followed by years of losing, and I think that the team with a title and a trophy has had more fun and built more fan interest. 

Agree to disagree. It didn’t take long for the extra fan interest that 2005 generated to disappear and that was with a playoff appearance 3 years later and it being the first World Series title in Chicago in nearly a century. Another title wouldn’t have the impact 2005 did and if the team immediately started losing 90+ games again afterwards any gained interest would diminish even more rapidly IMO.

11 minutes ago, OmarComing25 said:

Agree to disagree. It didn’t take long for the extra fan interest that 2005 generated to disappear and that was with a playoff appearance 3 years later and it being the first World Series title in Chicago in nearly a century. Another title wouldn’t have the impact 2005 did and if the team immediately started losing 90+ games again afterwards any gained interest would diminish even more rapidly IMO.

In 2004, the White Sox had attendance of 1.9 million. It skyrocketed in 2005, and it didn't fall back to 2.0-1.9 million until 2011/2012. That's the same 6 year period we're talking about in both cases. 

8 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

In 2004, the White Sox had attendance of 1.9 million. It skyrocketed in 2005, and it didn't fall back to 2.0-1.9 million until 2011/2012. That's the same 6 year period we're talking about in both cases. 

They were still somewhat competitive in the five seasons following 2005 though. If 2006-2011 had been more like 2013-2018 then those attendance numbers probably look a lot different.

Edited by OmarComing25

On 12/24/2018 at 10:01 AM, TheTruth05 said:

We should ask Tigers fans which they would prefer,they dominated the central for about a decade with no WS to show for it

Don't know if it was a decade, more like six years wasn't it?

Regardless again just my opinion, I'd take six years of great play with one or two World Series appearances like Detroit had any day of the week. Beats the shit we've basically been dealing with for the past 12 years. A run like that, would help solve a lot of the issues surrounding this franchise.

1 hour ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Regardless again just my opinion, I'd take six years of great play with one or two World Series appearances like Detroit had any day of the week. Beats the shit we've basically been dealing with for the past 12 years. A run like that, would help solve a lot of the issues surrounding this franchise.

Definitely it’s all opinion and can see the argument as to why some fans would want some sustained winning instead of a WS then crap but in my view that option is one that can be afforded by some Sox fans because the Sox already won 1 this century. We would be giving the Cubs a run for their money in the drought if it weren’t for 05.

Detroit and Texas went to 2 WS and won the division multiple times and have nothing to show for it. They are now in the midst of a rebuild,just like the Sox,except in the same span the Sox have 1 WS title. I feel if it weren’t for 05 everyone would pick option 2 without blinking.

2 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

One of my best friends is a Tigers fan. Those years without a title still haunt him. I know for a fact he would choose option #2.

1 hour ago, Fan O'Faust said:

How about we take option #1 out for a test drive and see how we like it before answering this question, since none of us has ever experienced seeing the Sox go on such a run at any point in our lives!

Because it sucks. I may not know from experience as a baseball fan, but I know.

Edited by Dam8610

On ‎12‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 1:33 AM, iWiN4PreP said:

Some of you voting #2 (world series) are outta your mind! 

Check out how bad this past season has been and how bad this past decade has been. The only tolerable thing going for the Sox now is that they have a loaded farm system of young guys due to the trades. Can you imagine going 50 years like this? 

We already won one in 2005, I'd be a much happier W'Sox fan if we put a consistent competitor on the field for the next 10 years.  If the Sox go the next 5 years as trash that might be the end of it for me. 

I'm with you, I'm an old timer and  enjoyed the 17 straight winning seasons of  the Go Go years from 1951-1967. If there were playoffs back then the Sox including the 59 AL Champs would have made the post-season probably 10 times in those years. 

I might have had a different answer if we didn't win it all in 2005.

Edited by The Mighty Mite
  • Like 1