Sox still in the running for Harper/Machado

southsider2k5

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Machado will sign in the first couple weeks of January.

Again, disagree. Machado/Harper are going to be playing a big game of chicken, with neither wanting to sign until the other does. I wouldn't be shocked if this drags past Super Bowl Sunday. They're not going to make a decision until they have to, and that would be probably a week or two before spring training. 

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

Again, disagree. Machado/Harper are going to be playing a big game of chicken, with neither wanting to sign until the other does. I wouldn't be shocked if this drags past Super Bowl Sunday. They're not going to make a decision until they have to, and that would be probably a week or two before spring training. 

No, Machado is signing by mid January, his agent doesn’t play the same games Boras does.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

You said this as fact (which would require a source) instead of speculating like the rest of us dumb fans are

You’re correct, I apologize for it coming off as fact.  My point is there is zero reason to believe Machado’s agent will drag this out until February.

9 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

You’re correct, I apologize for it coming off as fact.  My point is there is zero reason to believe Machado’s agent will drag this out until February.

I agree.  I think he signs pretty quick after the new year; just seems like he knows his options more than Harper does. 

17 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

I don't know. I kinda take the "won't sign until 2019" as "won't sign until after holidays." I bet he signs in the first couple weeks. Just my 2 cents. 

Yea most fans think that. I know i DO after the new year should mean shortly after the new year. 1st week if not the 1st couple days.

5 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

I agree.  I think he signs pretty quick after the new year; just seems like he knows his options more than Harper does. 

I think Machado’s market is pretty set and he’s simply giving the Yankees a chance to improve their offer.  If not, he goes to the Sox or Phillies pretty quickly.

I think with Harper the market is just not what Boras was envisioning.  None of the traditional big spenders are overly interested or simply can’t afford him right now, at least not in the $300M range.  That leaves teams like the Sox, Phillies, and maybe a mystery team or two.  Makes much more sense for him to drag things out and see if someone joins the fray or at the very least make one of these less desirable clubs bid against themselves.  

Edited by Chicago White Sox

Do you most of you agree with this assessment?:

Machado:

He would love to play for his life long favorite team, the Yankees. However, they do not appear to be interested in giving him a long term contract, in the dollar range, he is seeking.  

Between the Phillies and Sox, given comparable offers, he probably prefers the Sox, because his wife would likely prefer being in Chicago, close to her brother, who is also Manny's closest friend, as well as a member of the Sox.

Harper:

He may prefer the Cubs, because of his buddy Bryant, or the Dodgers, because they are in LA, however the Cubs do not have the payroll flexibility and the Dodgers do not really seem eager to make the kind of financial expenditure required. They probably have more pressing needs.

Between the Phillies and Sox, again the wife may play a critical role. If he signed with the Sox, he couldn't play along side his buddy, but at least his wife, who is very close with Bryant's wife, could be near her in Chicago. The city of Chicago should appeal to the Harpers, more than the City of Brotherly Love. Unless the Phillies blow past the Sox offer, why wouldn't he choose the Sox, over the Phillies?

Just trying to provide a little hope and Holiday Cheer. Did it work, for any of you?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Lillian said:

Machado:

He would love to play for his life long favorite team, the Yankees. However, they do not appear to be interested in giving him a long term contract, in the dollar range, he is seeking.  

Between the Phillies and Sox, given comparable offers, he probably prefers the Sox, because his wife would likely prefer being in Chicago, close to her brother, who is also Manny's closest friend, as well as a member of the Sox.

Harper:

He may prefer the Cubs, because of his buddy Bryant, or the Dodgers, because they are in LA, however the Cubs do not have the payroll flexibility and the Dodgers do not really seem eager to make the kind of financial expenditure required. They probably have more pressing needs.

Between the Phillies and Sox, again the wife may play a critical role. If he signed with the Sox, he couldn't play along side his buddy, but at least his wife, who is very close with Bryant's wife, could be near her in Chicago. The city of Chicago should appeal to the Harpers, more than the City of Brotherly Love. Unless the Phillies blow past the Sox offer, why wouldn't he choose the Sox, over the Phillies?

Just trying to provide a little hope and Holiday Cheer. Did it work, for any of you?

I personally feel like this is a perfect write up. I do think the Phillies are in a worse position than us to land either of them. The only wildcard besides the Dodgers that scare me for Bryce is the Padres 

It should be noted that Alonso's stay on the South Side, could be a short one. However, the Machado's might very well have a say in just how long his tenure there would be. Wouldn't that make for some interesting contract negotiations?; "I'll sign, but you have to retain Yonder for at least X number of years". It wouldn't be the worst concession to make, as Yonder has been a pretty decent hitter, the last couple of years, if you can sit him versus LHP. 

Edited by Lillian

31 minutes ago, Lillian said:

Machado:

Harper:

100% agree.

I think that Harper prefers the Cubs and Machado prefers the Yankees.

Harper wont sign with the Cubs unless they free up some serious space. I think Harper only signs with the Dodgers if he is willing to take a smaller deal with them. Same for Manny with the Yankees. Machado only signs with the Yankees if he is just truly willing to accept considerably less money, IMO. 

I think there is a very real scenario where we see the White Sox and Phillies as the last two teams for Harper and Machado. If that's the case, I would guess Harper to the Phillies and Machado to the White Sox.