Sox still in the running for Harper/Machado

southsider2k5

6 minutes ago, fathom said:

Fine with me, more important for Sox to land one than anything else.

Just trying to factor in the importance of landing a big fish with drawing back interest and new fans, if Machado comes to us and Harper goes to the Cubs do we get outshined by them and move the needle at all? I get harper is the biggest of the two, it would kind of suck in my opinion 

7 minutes ago, beckham15 said:

Just trying to factor in the importance of landing a big fish with drawing back interest and new fans, if Machado comes to us and Harper goes to the Cubs do we get outshined by them and move the needle at all? I get harper is the biggest of the two, it would kind of suck in my opinion 

Can the Cubs needle even move higher than it already has in Chicago

8 minutes ago, fathom said:

Can the Cubs needle even move higher than it already has in Chicago?

Yes. If they win another championship or two, and the Sox rebuild fails they can absolutely put the hammer down on the Sox. The Sox might as well not even exist at that point. I don't think it would be even worth it for the Sox to remain in town past this stadium lease at that point. The Cubs would have a stranglehold on the city and there would be exactly zero Sox fans under 35 by 2030. 

I haven't seen a random kid wearing Sox gear in 5+ years. I really don't think they register to anyone born after 1995. This is the bigger problem, IMO. I never see kids at Sox games. The youngest people that ever see at the games are really little kids and about 25 year olds. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Yes. If they win another championship or two, and the Sox rebuild fails they can absolutely put the hammer down on the Sox. The Sox might as well not even exist at that point. I don't think it would be even worth it for the Sox to remain in town past this stadium lease at that point. The Cubs would have a stranglehold on the city and there would be exactly zero Sox fans under 35 by 2030. 

When you go to a department store in the south suburbs and there is no Sox equipment, that seems like the hammer has been slammed down.  

1 minute ago, fathom said:

When you go to a department store in the south suburbs and there is no Sox equipment, that seems like the hammer has been slammed down.  

We aren't too far off from that, tbh. 

The only place in the Chicago area I can find a decent collection of Sox stuff is at Grandstand on 35th and Canal. Most places will still carry a random T-shirt or Abreu jersey, but other than that, nada. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

22 minutes ago, beckham15 said:

Considering Harper would cost them assets and not move the needle too much on the field when accounting for that, it'd be worth it.

12 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I haven't seen a random kid wearing Sox gear in 5+ years. I really don't think they register to anyone born after 1995. This is the bigger problem, IMO. I never see kids at Sox games. The youngest people that ever see at the games are really little kids and about 25 year olds. 

I was born in 98 and they definitely register to me. There were several Sox fans other than me that I knew in high school. Obviously way more people like the Cubs but there is a group of young people that are Sox fans.

7 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

Again, disagree. Machado/Harper are going to be playing a big game of chicken, with neither wanting to sign until the other does. I wouldn't be shocked if this drags past Super Bowl Sunday. They're not going to make a decision until they have to, and that would be probably a week or two before spring training. 

They will sign at half time while Janet Jackson does her thing. 

1 hour ago, spiderman said:

Except the White Sox, according to some reports, are not going to make big offers to either.

And we have heard the same things about the Yankees and Machado and the Phillies and Machado and the Dodgers about Harper and how the wifes might prefer one team over the other and on and on and on. Just sit back relax and strap it down and keep your hands inside the ride at all times.

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

My son is 3 years old. He will be a Sox fan no matter what happens. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1