Sox still in the running for Harper/Machado

southsider2k5

19 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

What about Kikuchi?  He was posted on the 3rd and has to agree to a contract by January 2nd.  That’s something that could have “escalated quickly over the last two weeks” and could be expected to be announced before New Years.

Could be. I expect it to be a reliever like Ottavino.

If I recall, it didn't seem like a lot of teams were in on Kikuchi. Maybe a team can get him on a deal similar to Maeda (he signed for 8 years, $25m which is a steal).

Edited by soxfan2014

18 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

What about Kikuchi?  He was posted on the 3rd and has to agree to a contract by January 2nd.  That’s something that could have “escalated quickly over the last two weeks” and could be expected to be announced before New Years.

Oh that's interesting . You might have something there. Puts us back in the Japanese market too. Eminor would be tickled pink. He's probably in high demand though and the Dodgers could get him instead of Kluber.

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Oh that's interesting . You might have something there. Puts us back in the Japanese market too. Eminor would be tickled pink. He's probably in high demand though and the Dodgers could get him instead of Kluber.

To me, outside of the whales, I don’t see much we’d go after that would be of much substance.  Grandal makes sense if you don’t believe in Collins & Zavala being major league catchers, but would they really cut bait on Castillo while pursuing Machado?  

After that, the only upgrades I could see are pitching.  I still think Ottavino could be in play if they offer him the closer’s job and get him to agree to a 2 year deal.  I don’t think any of the other high-priced relievers left make much sense for us.  The only long-term starting pitching options are Keuchel & Kikuchi and the latter obviously fits much better from an age perspective.  

Will be very interesting to see what this move is.

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

To me, outside of the whales, I don’t see much we’d go after that would be of much substance.  Grandal makes sense if you don’t believe in Collins & Zavala being major league catchers, but would they really cut bait on Castillo while pursuing Machado?  

After that, the only upgrades I could see are pitching.  I still think Ottavino could be in play if they offer him the closer’s job and get him to agree to a 2 year deal.  I don’t think any of the other high-priced relievers left make much sense for us.  The only long-term starting pitching options are Keuchel & Kikuchi and the latter obviously fits much better from an age perspective.  

Will be very interesting to see what this move is.

I posted some other possible move in the Machado thread. Like I said I don't really think it's Grandal but I also think it doesn't mean you don't believe in Collins and Zavala, To me its just hedging your bets. Zavala and Collin's still need AB's in the minors and between the 2 of them it's possible they can learn under Grandal after Castillo is gone . The McCann signing also factors against me really thinking its Grandal but McCann wouldn't be much of an obstacle. Maybe they both have  good years in the minors and they become trade bait.Surely we know some of the minor league guys will be traded.

15 hours ago, whitesoxbrad said:

Boy  i hope  u are correct, this team needs to improve asap, the organization needs it, the fan base needs it, and this dedicated fan site needs it. Boy i hope it is something we can be proud of.

I'm sure they have all sorts of plans under consideration, but most of it is probably dependent on Machado/Harper making a decision.

Arguably, the White Sox have been active already, adding a middle/backend of the rotation starter, a closer and a lefty for the middle of the lineup. Obviously, none of these moves are probably going to alter the win total much for next season and the biggest area's of improvement is still with the younger talent.

I'm sure most are hoping they can land a true difference maker, but I am guessing that will have to come via trade.

17 hours ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

Sox have a move in place. I dont know what it is, but they have one. Guessing it will be announced after Christmas. #sources

I am sorry,  due to new Soxtalk regulations on rumor posting we will require the following:

1. Source of your rumor,  including full name and social security number.

2. Eyewitness testimony of the rumor being relayed to your person.

3. Complete background check including social media verification 

4. Note from a parent verifying that you are indeed a "good kid".

5. Criminal background check. 

6. Post enhancing drug test.

7. Bribes to applicable Soxtalk staff.

8. Eyewitness testimony from a witness verifying that the 1st witness did indeed witness your source informing you of said rumor.

9. Confirmation of your status as a White Sox fan in good standing. 

10. The essay portion of your application. 

• Haha 6

8 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I am sorry,  due to new Soxtalk regulations on rumor posting we will require the following:

8. Eyewitness testimony from a witness verifying that the 1st witness did indeed witness your source informing you of said rumor.

While hilarious, this would be amazing.

11 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I dunno, I feel like the essay is a bit much.  😜

Edited by bschmaranz

5 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

11. Certify that you are not now, nor have you ever been Scott Boras.

2 hours ago, Sockin said:

Wonder if the rumor has anything to do with Realmuto. No one seems to want to budge on the Marlins price but the Sox could do a quantity package and beat out lower offers.

Doubtful in my eyes. With 2 years left he is sure to command a kings ransom and that would include some of the best Sox prospects which they will not move. Marlins are in no hurry unless they get exactly what they want. You know Eloy, Cease and Robert  or 2 of those 3 will be what the Marlins ask.

After those 3 only Madrigal ,Rutherford, Dunning and the injured Kopech are the only one in the top 100 and all of them have a lot yet still to prove.

Fangraphs gave some top 100 love to Collins, Adolfo and Basabe but I'm not even sure I'm looking at the right list since its about prospect valuations and all 3 are head of Cease and Dunning who are 95 and 96 which seems kind of strange. But again all 3 still have a lot to prove.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

Adding Realmuto would be nuts unless they're signing Harper and/or Machado...and, even then, the amount of minor league talent it would require just can't be justified (it's going to take Cease OR Robert as headliner, at a minimum).

Selling low on some of our major league players would be equally ill-advised.   You also have to take into consideration it almost always takes at least 1/2 a season just for players moving from the NL to the AL to make that difficult adjustment.

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Adding Realmuto would be nuts unless they're signing Harper and/or Machado...and, even then, the amount of minor league talent it would require just can't be justified (it's going to take Cease OR Robert as headliner, at a minimum).

Indeed, it would be nuts even if they sign harper or Machado.  
Worse than the 2014-2016 Hahn clownshow.

On 12/24/2018 at 9:54 PM, Buehrle>Wood said:

There was something that's been in the works for two weeks and escalated very quickly this past weekend. All I got.

Just the idea of something that has been "In the works for 2 weeks and escalated very quickly" seems to me like a trade. I don't think a signing, other than by Machado/Harper, would garner this type of wording.