Any Interest in Clayton Richard?

vilehoopster

He was let go by the Padres, had knee surgery after the season; seems he was let go to make room for all their upcoming young pitchers. We still need a 5th starter. (You guys know this stuff better than I, so that's why I'm asking.) Can we give him some sort of minor league offer/contract and bring him to spring camp and give him a look?

He's from Lafayette, IN and I'm from the area,so I'd like to give him a chance to pitch for the White Sox. Is that realistic? Is it worth the effort?

2 minutes ago, vilehoopster said:

He was let go by the Padres, had knee surgery after the season; seems he was let go to make room for all their upcoming young pitchers. We still need a 5th starter. (You guys know this stuff better than I, so that's why I'm asking.) Can we give him some sort of minor league offer/contract and bring him to spring camp and give him a look?

He's from Lafayette, IN and I'm from the area,so I'd like to give him a chance to pitch for the White Sox. Is that realistic? Is it worth the effort?

Minor league deal, sure.

24 minutes ago, vilehoopster said:

Yes, as third string QB for the Bears.

1 hour ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

I want Gio back. Surprised we havent been linked to him

We were never linked to Fiers either and they are the same age. Fiers WAR was 3.7 last year in the league with the DH while Gio G. was 1.8 in the NL .

Fiers was non tendered but resigned with Oakland for 2 years for about $7.5 M /yr. So why go after Gio when maybe Fiers was better ?

So my bigger question is regarding the rumor you mentioned. I know you already stated that's all you know but do you get the sense it has nothing to do with Machado or it's another player ? What you did mention seems the fit the Machado statement that "after the new year" he will make up his mind.

15 hours ago, vilehoopster said:

My main memories of Richard is terrible throws to 1B, his unorthodox motion, his limited time as Michigan QB and that 2008 playoff debacle against the Rays.

That said, if they can't find any veteran swing-man candidate and they want to go in that direction, he couldn't be much worse than Santiago.

Of course, it's probably better to audition 1 of about 15 possibilities from our minor league system, including Fulmer and Dylan Covey.  The other point is that those numbers compiled in PetCo are simply not going to hold up in the American League.

Clayton Richard is the last active MLB player from the last White Sox playoff team. It is possible Boone Logan gets some sort of spring training invite as the Brewers released him during the middle of last season, so the total may double. 

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 1