Pending White Sox Move? (*May contain partially digested news)

Chicago White Sox

Haven’t we learned our lesson yet about signing ex-Royals?

Apparently not...Herrera is toast.

Granted, Soria worked out okay, but these are the kind of moves that make the rest of the baseball world think we really don’t care or have much of a strategic plan.

Edited by caulfield12

13 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Haven’t we learned our lesson yet about signing ex-Royals?

Apparently not...Herrera is toast.

Granted, Soria worked out okay, but these are the kind of moves that make the rest of the baseball world think we really don’t care or have much of a strategic plan.

You couldn’t even make it to the end of your own post before realizing your point wasn’t good.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

9 minutes ago, bmags said:

You couldn’t even make it to the end of your own post before realizing your point wasn’t good.

Soria netting someone who won’t even be our next playoff roster versus 12-15 ex Royals signings that didn’t help at all the last twenty years?  Okay.  In general, they tend to look better against the Sox than ON the Sox.

By that theory, we can only successfully trade with the DBacks and Cubs now.

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Soria netting someone who won’t even be our next playoff roster versus 12-15 ex Royals signings that didn’t help at all the last twenty years?  Okay.  In general, they tend to look better against the Sox than ON the Sox.

By that theory, we can only successfully trade with the DBacks and Cubs now.

So it's a bad theory then right? 

I seem to remember Sox months ago hearing that our system was overflowing with middle and late relief prospects.

If they manage to increase the payroll by $50-60 million on placeholders and don’t add Machado...this might end up being the worst offseason of all time for Sox fans...worse than Jeff Keppinger as the headliner, even.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

I seem to remember Sox months ago hearing that our system was overflowing with middle and late relief prospects.

If they manage to increase the payroll by $50-60 million on placeholders and don’t add Machado...this might end up being the worst offseason of all time for Sox fans...worse than Jeff Keppinger as the headliner, even.

Agreed.

Relievers and OF'ers is our strength in the minors.

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

They are overflowing with relief talent but to bank on all that talent developing would be foolish.  Not to mention some of that talent isn't ready.

9 minutes ago, BlackSox13 said:

They are overflowing with relief talent but to bank on all that talent developing would be foolish.  Not to mention some of that talent isn't ready.

I agree.  When it comes to young relievers, I like having several guys competing for spots and then allowing the winners to prove themselves in low leverage situations.  If all goes well, the first group moves into high leverage roles and the next wave gets their opportunity.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Baker said:

Let it be Grandal. Should cost the Sox 4/$75,000,100. The extra $100 is to get a 1st baseman’s glove for Collins. The kid needs to concentrate on his bat. 

That'd be a big overpay since it was reported that he turned down 4/60M from the Mets already this off-season .

Just now, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Herrera wouldn't be a terrible signing, but his massive drop in K/9 is a little alarming. Still only 29 though.

In terms of reliever years, with his overusage in KC and the resulting drop off in FB velocity the last two years and considering that Latin American prospects are throwing hard in the mid 80’s at 13-14, 29 is no longer a spring chicken.

5 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I agree.  When it comes to young relievers, I like having several guys competing for spots and then allowing the winners to prove themselves in low leverage situations.  If all goes well, the first group moves into high leverage roles and the next wave gets their opportunity.

I came here to post exactly this. Well said. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

You don’t have to throw them into the closer’s role right away...when’s the last time we did that with a rookie pitcher?

Jenks?

Yea, I believe so. But isn't that a different situation? Hermanson's back exploded and Takatsu was toast. Sox didn't really have a choice other than closer by committee and Jenks ran away with it.