Pending White Sox Move? (*May contain partially digested news)

Chicago White Sox

6 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

The White Sox don't have enough good players, and Manny's friends aren't good enough either. Exactly what happens if you lure Manny in with his buddies and suddenly his buddies get replaced? 

Manny's best buddy is Benjamin Franklin. Show him enough of those and you won't need one former Oriole. 

I agree, but I also wouldn't disqualify players talent because they played on a bad team. Bringing in his friends should be in addition to signing him. To help ease his transition. 

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

There's some things hidden in there worth noting - our catcher's spot was worth something like 3.3 fWAR last year between Smith, Narvaez, and Castillo. Yes you'll have Castillo there for a full year, but there's a good chance of a downgrade there. And then you've got the assumption of good health. And all that makes this a "maybe they have a shot at .500 team". I could buy that, but we should also understand that a .500 record is a wildly optimistic scenario where almost everything goes right.

Are you really using fWAR to evaluate catcher’s?

1 hour ago, TomPickle said:

Yeah, this is almost sure to not happen. It's also projecting another 6 fWAR season from Machado, which is plausible, but not what I would expect certainly in basically any season for a player that isn't Mike Trout. If the team were largely unchanged from the current roster other than adding Machado a very nice step forward would be 75 wins. If that happens then there is real optimism for the 2020 season where you could see Kopech and Cease added to the rotation and maybe one of the CF prospects can break into the lineup as an everyday player and offer an upgrade from Engel.

Machado has had 6+ win seasons in 3 of the last 4 years, why is that not expected?

2 minutes ago, pcq said:

This is little more than a troll thread. 

Joel Sherman literally posted a thread in the last few hours saying how there’s very little work done this week. And fwiw, the person who posted the rumor has never made up anything during his entire soxtalk “career”

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, fathom said:

Joel Sherman literally posted a thread in the last few hours saying how there’s very little work done this week. And fwiw, the person who posted the rumor has never made up anything during his entire soxtalk “career”

Yes, the poster who came up with this has a ton of posts.  I would imagine if it’s a free agent, they need to come in and take a physical, especially if it’s a pitcher, so with holiday plans that could easily be delayed a few days. If it’s the end of next week and nothing has come out, I will think he was just given bad info. I think I have had somedisagreements with this poster, but I don’t think he would just make this up. 

5 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I fail to understand what it is that you don't understand.

1. The pitch to Manny probably was the Sox will be good just not right away but in the mean time to make you feel welcome and at home we will TEMPORARILY fill spots we need to fill anyway with friends and family.

Because that's just  -I don't know what to call it - who the heck does that? 

And the Sox have done enough in that regard: they downgraded catcher and traded for a first basemen who isn't very good and in a position of non-need.    The second trade makes them less competitive and blocks a spot for young player development,  and the catcher move arguably might as well.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

And the Sox have done enough in that regard: they downgraded catcher and traded for a first basemen who isn't very good and in a position of non-need.    The second trade makes them less competitive and blocks a spot for young player development,  and the catcher move arguably might as well.

What young players are getting blocked. You keep bringing that up but haven't shown which players are losing a spot/at bats

• Like 1

Hey guys....bad news. Japan will have an earthquake again. Maybe in 2018...maybe in 2019. Sometime in the future though for sure. Just have to wait for those tectonic plates to slip. But it'll definitely happen. 

Can't believe this forum fell for this shit again. 

Edited by Baron
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

Yes, the poster who came up with this has a ton of posts.  I would imagine if it’s a free agent, they need to come in and take a physical, especially if it’s a pitcher, so with holiday plans that could easily be delayed a few days. If it’s the end of next week and nothing has come out, I will think he was just given bad info. I think I have had somedisagreements with this poster, but I don’t think he would just make this up. 

My guess is that the poster read the same (or similar) information from a few different writers and made an assumption that there would be news soon.

It's possible that he is completely on the right track, however, it's rather obvious that the White Sox (and several other teams) are actively trying to make moves. Unfortunately, it's a slow moving market so it takes the entire off-season to complete your off-season moves.

There will be a few more moves by the White Sox. Obviously, most are hoping for either Machado or Harper, but, if not one of them, they will do something of some significance. The problem is that this move can happen tomorrow, New Years Eve, mid-January or even later. A sign of the times.

49 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Who the heck does what? Who the heck is honest with a potential superstar and tells him we both know we lost 100 games however here are all our good prospects and this is where we see this team going in a very short time with you leading the way ?

"As I am sure you have noticed we traded for Yonder and Ivan and Alex Colome. Last year we signed Welington. All these guys are special to you but they also were signed because they are what we need right now. We want you to feel at home here. It may be unorthodox but that's how much we really believe that you are the key to the start of something big. We are all grownups here and we all know nothing is permanent and some of these players may be replaced when our prospects lead us into our window of contention perhaps as early as 2020. Again  we want you to feel at home here first and then we expect to win and win for the majority of your years with us.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Baron said:

Hey guys....bad news. Japan will have an earthquake again. Maybe in 2018...maybe in 2019. Sometime in the future though for sure. Just have to wait for those tectonic plates to slip. But it'll definitely happen. 

Can't believe this forum fell for this shit again. 

Yes we all know how you feel about this . You have made it abundantly clear. However sooner or later someone will be telling the truth. Yes there have been joke posts in the recent past and if those members who did the joking around had just followed the rules about using green font then maybe we wouldn't have to be so skeptical of another rumor. Excuse the hell out of those of us to continue to trust some of our long time members. Like many rumors involving player movement everything can fall apart in the blink of an eye so even if nothing happens that doesn't mean it wasn't true at the time it was posted.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, spiderman said:

My guess is that the poster read the same (or similar) information from a few different writers and made an assumption that there would be news soon.

It's possible that he is completely on the right track, however, it's rather obvious that the White Sox (and several other teams) are actively trying to make moves. Unfortunately, it's a slow moving market so it takes the entire off-season to complete your off-season moves.

There will be a few more moves by the White Sox. Obviously, most are hoping for either Machado or Harper, but, if not one of them, they will do something of some significance. The problem is that this move can happen tomorrow, New Years Eve, mid-January or even later. A sign of the times.

The thing is there was nothing from any writers or tweeters that something was in the works that came together quickly and would be announced shortly. If I had to make a guess it's either Machado or a relief pitcher, guys we definitely know Hahn is seeking. Trades are more difficult because we probably don't trade any good prospects or anyone of the young guys already up. There are probably 10-12 guys on the current 40 who could be traded but most have very little value.

48 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Yes we all know how you feel about this . You have made it abundantly clear. However sooner or later someone will be telling the truth. Yes there have been joke posts in the recent past and if those members who did the joking around had just followed the rules about using green font then maybe we wouldn't have to be so skeptical of another rumor. Excuse the hell out of those of us to continue to trust some of our long time members. Like many rumors involving player movement everything can fall apart in the blink of an eye so even if nothing happens that doesn't mean it wasn't true at the time it was posted.

Your not excused. Sooner or later somebody will be right...maybe consult the crystal ball of your nearest psychic. Same result. 

Edited by Baron

4 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

You're entitled to think that.  But your opinion could be debated.  

GRAMMAR GREMLIN!!!!!!

Think you quoted the wrong one there mate. Well this has been entertaining. 

Edited by Baron