Pending White Sox Move? (*May contain partially digested news)

Chicago White Sox

20 minutes ago, elwood5892 said:

Nelson Cruz just signed with the Twins. Looks like the market is about to pick up for a few days before the New Year. Let’s see what happens with the Sox. 

We will see. These guys have family commitments around the holidays as well. It's a case by case basis. So even if something is agreed to, it might take a week or so to get everything lined up. 

12 hours ago, SoxAce said:

Seriously. This isn't a Peavy44 situation (or even Ron if you think he's full of shit). B>W is a hell of a poster. I definitely back with what he said.

What did he say?  I went back and couldn't find it.  

Nevermind: In the original post of the the thread - was looking for Buerhle>Wood post.  

Edited by ChiSox59

To me, if this rumor is legit, it has to be about Kikuchi.  First, we know the Sox are still pursuing Ottavino which means this can’t be bullpen related.  I don’t think the Sox address any positional holes until the whale situations have been addressed and that won’t  be happening until next year.  That leaves the rotation and Kikuchi best fits the narrative around this rumor.  He has to have a deal agreed to by January 2nd and assuming it requires a physical, he probaly wants some wiggle room just in case and that means something has to happen in the next few days IMO.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

To me, if this rumor is legit, it has to be about Kikuchi.  First, we know the Sox are still pursuing Ottavino which means this can’t be bullpen related.  I don’t think the Sox address any positional holes until the whale situations have been addressed and that won’t  be happening until next year.  That leaves the rotation and Kikuchi best fits the narrative around this rumor.  He has to have a deal agreed to by January 2nd and assuming it requires a physical, he probaly wants some wiggle room just in case and that means something has to happen in the next few days IMO.

Does he actually to have a deal agreed to by Jan 2nd, or just a team selected and then the negotiations begin on contract?  I apologize, I am not up to speed on the new posting rules.  

7 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Does he actually to have a deal agreed to by Jan 2nd, or just a team selected and then the negotiations begin on contract?  I apologize, I am not up to speed on the new posting rules.  

I can’t find the article that specifically indicated January 2nd, but this article highlights he has a 30 day negotiationing period from the day he’s formally posted.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.mlb.com/290440098-yusei-kikuchi-may-join-mlb-in-2019.amp.html

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I can’t find the article that specifically indicated January 2nd, but this article highlights he has a 30 day negotiationing period from the day he’s formally posted.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.mlb.com/290440098-yusei-kikuchi-may-join-mlb-in-2019.amp.html

So it doesn't work like the old rules where one team wins the bidding, and then the contract is negotiated?

He just signs with whomever he wants, and then his current club gets a cut?  

4 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

So it doesn't work like the old rules where one team wins the bidding, and then the contract is negotiated?

He just signs with whomever he wants, and then his current club gets a cut?  

Correct.  He negotiates a deal and then his Japanese club gets a commission equal to 20% or less (depending on size) of the overall contract.

14 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

With the recent post by Morosi about the Sox and Ottavino. I think that could be it. The original interest in Ottavino was a Dec 14 post by Incarcerated Bob who many don't like. But if you just take it at face value it lines  up with the 2 weeks ago timeline and coming together quickly narrative  based on the recent Morosi post.

It could also be Machado signing. CF is a position that can be addressed by a short term fix in a trade that has nothing to do with the whales. I also believe it could be Kikuchi but not that it has to be about him. Still hoping for an announcement before the New Year which would also fit with Buerhle> Wood rumor for after Christmas.

Just now, Dick Allen said:

That's why I don't think he is the rumored done deal. 

Well by your logic, it would have then leaked that he is going elsewhere.  There doesn't seem to any smoke with him leaguewide.  

I think it definitely possible its Kikuchi.  

Just now, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

With the recent post by Morosi about the Sox and Ottavino. I think that could be it. The original interest in Ottavino was a Dec 14 post by Incarcerated Bob who many don't like. But if you just take it at face value it lines  up with the 2 weeks ago timeline and coming together quickly narrative  based on the recent Morosi post.

It could also be Machado signing. CF is a position that can be addressed by a short term fix in a trade that has nothing to do with the whales. I also believe it could be Kikuchi but not that it has to be about him. Still hoping for an announcement before the New Year which would also fit with Buerhle> Wood rumor for after Christmas.

2 weeks ago was the middle of the Winter Meetings, so just about anything we have heard could have lined up. But I agree, I do think if it's legit it's Ottavino.

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

2 weeks ago was the middle of the Winter Meetings, so just about anything we have heard could have lined up. But I agree, I do think if it's legit it's Ottavino.

But the only things we have heard about since the winter meetings is Ottavino and Machado's visit which is why I think it's one or the other. Still would be fun if it was something we haven't heard anything about. Unexpected surprises are the best.

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

That's why I don't think he is the rumored done deal. 

But here’s the thing.  He has literally has less than a week to finalize a deal.  I’m assuming MLB offices are shutdown on January 1st, which means he effectively has until this coming Monday to wrap things up unless he plans to wait until the very last minute.  Between now and then, he’ll need to fly to the US, meet with team officials, and take a physical.  That’s a lot to accomplish in a short period of time.  My guess is either he has agreed to a deal in principle (like the rumor suggests) and is in process of finalizing things or close to finalizing something (whether with us or another team).  Regardless, we should hear something very soon.

15 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I think it has to be pitching related and originally through out Ottavino, but given Morosi just tweeted about him today I’m assuming he hasn’t agreed to a deal yet.  Just me guessing though.

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

But here’s the thing.  He has literally has less than a week to finalize a deal.  I’m assuming MLB offices are shutdown on January 1st, which means he effectively has until this coming Monday to wrap things up unless he plans to wait until the very last minute.  Between now and then, he’ll need to fly to the US, meet with team officials, and take a physical.  That’s a lot to accomplish in a short period of time.  My guess is either he has agreed to a deal in principle (like the rumor suggests) and is in process of finalizing things or close to finalizing something (whether with us or another team).  Regardless, we should hear something very soon.

I can’t wait for January to end so that winter is closer to being over, Harper and Machado will have signed somewhere and the roster takes place. Rumors without tweets need more color to them.

2 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Yeah I think it could be Kikuchi. We know the Sox want to add another arm, there isn't anyone else really out there to add, and last reported (if I can remember correctly), there wasn't much reported interest at the time.