Fifth Starter

Boopa1219

It appears that the team is interested in having a competition for the fifth spot in the rotation and it figures that Jordan Stepehens, Covey and Banuelos are some in house options but are there any names out there on the market, that you guys would like to see the team add into the race?

I wouldn't be upset with Drew Hutchinson, Shelby Miller, or Clay Buchholz. I think Miller and Hutchinson could be non-roster invitees.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

If Kikuchi doesn’t happen (purely my speculation there), I’d love to add Pomeranz on a one-year deal.

This is basically how I feel. I'd like to get Kikuchi on board, but both he and Pomeranz would fit if they sign Harper/Machado or not.

• Like 1

Agree with the names said already and I’ll throw in Ervin Santana on a 1 year deal under $10M. Had the finger issue last year, but threw 180 innings of sub 4 era in our division the previous 2 years. Obviously the medicals would have to check out, but Santana seems like a safe bet veteran to eat innings and possibly be a trade chip mid season 

3 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

Agree with the names said already and I’ll throw in Ervin Santana on a 1 year deal under $10M. Had the finger issue last year, but threw 180 innings of sub 4 era in our division the previous 2 years. Obviously the medicals would have to check out, but Santana seems like a safe bet veteran to eat innings and possibly be a trade chip mid season 

And give up 70 homers at GRF

Well, with all those veterans, it obviously depends what they have left, stuff-wise.  You never know what wonders a change of scenery can work.  Of course, they more likely end up like Felipe Paulino than Esteban Loiaza or Phil Humber.

No harm in at least bringing them in for workouts, right?

Covey, from everything we observed last year, is much better suited for the long relief or swing man role, where he's typically only going to see hitters a single time.

That said, the odds are 50/50 of Giolito not even being in the rotation still by mid-season, but you have to give those two and even Fulmer or Stephens looks before you completely pull the plug with a Shields/Holland-ish innings-eater.

20 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Well, with all those veterans, it obviously depends what they have left, stuff-wise.  You never know what wonders a change of scenery can work.  Of course, they more likely end up like Felipe Paulino than Esteban Loiaza or Phil Humber.

No harm in at least bringing them in for workouts, right?

Covey, from everything we observed last year, is much better suited for the long relief or swing man role, where he's typically only going to see hitters a single time.

That said, the odds are 50/50 of Giolito not even being in the rotation still by mid-season, but you have to give those two and even Fulmer or Stephens looks before you completely pull the plug with a Shields/Holland-ish innings-eater.

I'd rather give any openings to young pitchers (sort of how the White Sox handled Giolito last season). If they did want to bring in a veteran, I'd rather go after somebody who makes a difference for more than 1 year, but that doesn't make a ton of sense given that Rodon, Lopez, Nova (for 1 season) and Giolito (hopefully) are forming the core of the rotation. It's hard to block guys like Cease/Dunning, etc. for a 1 year James Shields type starter.

Giolito will go into next season trying to solidify a future rotation spot, but right now, he's doubtful (or a question mark if being generous).

If Covey can earn that #5 job, great. I'd much rather see that than a older veteran.

52 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

I totally agree with Covey best serving the team as a swingman. However, I think that he would be a fantastic ‘opener’ for the team. I also think that employing an opener would really help out someone like Giolito. 

If anyone is not not a fan of the idea of an opener, remember that the Rays employed it for a big chunk of the season and they won 90 games. 

That "opening with a reliever/s" approach might actually work well...as long as Giolito gets to come in with a "clean" inning and doesn't ever have runners on base when he enters the game.

One of the most interesting targets out there was Lance Lynn, and I personally would have gotten behind that particular move (3 years) rather than Nova for one, just to provide that veteran leadership/stability...and Lynn already had a taste of the AL Central and improved quite a bit in the last few months after finding his footing with the late start to the season.

That said, maybe they have a plan to sign Kikuchi.   If they don't get Harper OR Machado, they have a LOT more money to spend next off-season in the free agency market, but it's likely to end up as an overpay no matter who they target.

Assuming that Cease and Dunning stay healthy and Kopech comes back (three big assumptions) cleanly, we should be in really good shape with ONE key pitching addition who overlaps into 2021-22.  We just might go fast-moving college pitcher #3 next June, nothing can be ruled out.

Of course, we still don't know ultimately what will become of Rodon's Sox tenure.

1 hour ago, Joshua Strong said:

I totally agree with Covey best serving the team as a swingman. However, I think that he would be a fantastic ‘opener’ for the team. I also think that employing an opener would really help out someone like Giolito. 

If anyone is not not a fan of the idea of an opener, remember that the Rays employed it for a big chunk of the season and they won 90 games. 

Teams really need at least 15 pitchers to strategize in today's game. Have two guys pitch a few innings each game and then use the bullpen. We see starters getting pulled earlier so use a backup starter as a bridge. This is where we are headed. 

2 hours ago, pcq said:

Teams really need at least 15 pitchers to strategize in today's game. Have two guys pitch a few innings each game and then use the bullpen. We see starters getting pulled earlier so use a backup starter as a bridge. This is where we are headed. 

I think we’re past the point of the 26th man/inactive roster spot being a necessity. The Sox could take a page from the Dodgers by taking adventure of and manipulating the 7-Day DL too but to do that they need to amass starting pitching depth. 

Edited by Joshua Strong

12 hours ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

I think santana May be done. He was topping out in the mid 80s in his rehab last summer. But if he gets a clean bill of health, I’d roll the dice and he should be pretty cheap.

My top two choices remaining on FA market are Kikuchi and Pomeranz for the price. 

10 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

that said, the odds are 50/50 of Giolito not even being in the rotation still by mid-season, but you have to give those two and even Fulmer or Stephens looks before you completely pull the plug with a Shields/Holland-ish innings-eater.

I think Gio has a FAR greater than 50/50 shot of being in the rotation by mid season. 

Unless this team finds themselves in contention in July and Gio is still a garbage fire, there is zero reason for them not to continue to let him try to figure it out. 

Edited by ChiSox59

4 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I think Gio has a FaR than 50/50 shot of being in the rotation by mid season. 

Statistics are all 50/50. Either he is or he is not.................................................

If were not competing I think he should have a decent leash on him. IMO even if we land MM/Harper we still wont compete this year so there's probably an 80% chance Gio is in the rotation by mid season barring an implosion by him. 

Edited by Capital G
typo

3 minutes ago, Capital G said:

Statistics are all 50/50. Either he is or he is not.................................................

If were not competing I think he should have a decent leash on him. IMO even if we land MM/Harper we still wont compete this year so there's probably an 80% chance Gio is in the rotation by mid season barring an implosion by him. 

Sounds like you failed your statistics course. 

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I think Gio has a FAR greater than 50/50 shot of being in the rotation by mid season. 

Unless this team finds themselves in contention in July and Gio is still a garbage fire, there is zero reason for them not to continue to let him try to figure it out. 

I am going to go with something closer to 90/10.

• Like 1