Fifth Starter

Boopa1219

12 minutes ago, ChiSoxJon said:

Well I'd like to see that just to make sure instead of spending money to lose ball games

Just to make sure?  Why don’t we worry about him finding success in AAA before we even consider him part of the major league mix.  His K/BB ratio was 1.11 for Charlotte last year, giving him a major league rotation would be a travesty.

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Adams would get destroyed in the majors.

Yeah. 

#1 The Sox didn't think enough of Adams to call him up multiple different times with the worst team in franchise history and plenty of starts needing to be filed.

#2 The Sox didn't think enough of him to protect him on the 40 man roster.

#3 No other team in baseball thought enough of him to select him in the Rule 5 draft.

15 hours ago, EvilJester99 said:

I’d like to see the Sox deal for Greinke.. 

I would be okay with this as well. The salary is bad but he won’t cost a thing in terms of talent and he’s still an above average pitcher and a clubhouse leader. 

The Sox have a million number five starters...what they don’t gave us 1 and 2 starters unless Rodon turns it up a notch. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

I’m torn on Covey. My gut says he’s better suited for a relief role where he doesn’t have to face guys more than once, but he looked so good for that stretch last year. 

Yanks still trying to deal away Sonny Gray. Brewers interested but Yanks pretty much burned their bridges on Gray so the early high asking price was a joke. Will be a free agent after 2019 season and was bad in Yankee Stadium but pretty good on the road. Low ball the Yanks and see if they can beat the Brewers offer.  He also indirectly dissed Gary Sanchez by saying Austin Romine was good at making in game adjustments. Slight  chance the Yankees keep him but this is what Cashman said about him :

“We are going to move him if we get the right deal because I don’t think it is going to work out in The Bronx, I don’t feel like we can go through the same exercise and expect different results.”

That was back in early November.

12 hours ago, Joshua Strong said:

I think we’re past the point of the 26th man/inactive roster spot being a necessity. The Sox could take a page from the Dodgers by taking adventure of and manipulating the 7-Day DL too but to do that they need to amass starting pitching depth. 

Roster sizes cannot keep up with today's strategy needs. It would be nice to allow 3 inactives each game but the owners would not want to pay for that. Present-day roster needs are not being addressed. 

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Yanks still trying to deal away Sonny Gray. Brewers interested but Yanks pretty much burned their bridges on Gray so the early high asking price was a joke. Will be a free agent after 2019 season and was bad in Yankee Stadium but pretty good on the road. Low ball the Yanks and see if they can beat the Brewers offer.  He also indirectly dissed Gary Sanchez by saying Austin Romine was good at making in game adjustments. Slight  chance the Yankees keep him but this is what Cashman said about him :

“We are going to move him if we get the right deal because I don’t think it is going to work out in The Bronx, I don’t feel like we can go through the same exercise and expect different results.”

That was back in early November.

I agree. Really think Sonny Gray is the way to go. There is so much potential for him to be a real difference maker for White Sox. He's under 30. Get him away from the melting lights of New York media, Cooper him up a little. I really think he could become a top of the rotation guy again. And I don't think we should even low-ball NY, offer someting real, a top 10 to 20 level prospect and maybe a throw in. 

Edited by vilehoopster

1 minute ago, vilehoopster said:

I agree. Really think Sonny Gray is the way to go. There is so much potential for him to be a real difference maker for White Sox. He's under 30. Get him away from the melting lights of New York media, Cooper him up a little. I really think he could become a top of the rotation guy again. And I don't think we should even low-ball NY, offer someting real, a top 10 to 20 level prospect and maybe a throw in. 

Alonso for Gray :)

22 minutes ago, vilehoopster said:

Did you miss the part about him being a FA after the year ? No way on any good prospects. Plus you have to remember Sonny Gray played his good years in Oakland where mediocre pitchers become good pitcher. Mike Fiers did very well in Oakland last year . Hell even Edwin Jackson pitched well there last year.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

On 12/31/2018 at 12:28 AM, frogsplash31 said:

He seems like he would be a good fit with Tampa Bay's opener strategy.

I was thinking along those lines.  He seems pretty good first time thru the lineup.  What if you pitched him two innings, twice a week.  The fifth starter slot and then 2-3 days later.  Ideally, with off days, every third day to have on a schedule.  Roughly 60 appearances 120 innings.  That would have value.  If second pitcher doing good you might get thru the game or to your late guys.

On 12/28/2018 at 11:48 AM, Jack Parkman said:

The talent that made Giolito the top pitching prospect in baseball at one point is still there. If Coop can't unlock him, I'm not sure anyone can. It is going to take time. 

You should write a book. 

On 12/28/2018 at 11:48 AM, Jack Parkman said:

The talent that made Giolito the top pitching prospect in baseball at one point is still there. If Coop can't unlock him, I'm not sure anyone can. It is going to take time. 

People think I have some sort of vendetta against Don Cooper, which I don't.  But posts like this baffle me. If White Sox pitchers are good, get on your knees and bow to Coop. If they suck, they just suck. It is if any White Sox pitchers success is 100 percent Coop.

If Coop can't fix him no one can has ignored history. And some don't need fixing.

I am not  calling for his head, but he is getting long in the tooth. Every year it looks like he has to go up a Jersey size. I bet Hassler is the pitching coach by 2021.