Sox interested in Jose Martinez

southsider2k5

Elaborating on an earlier post, I'd guess:

If the Sox sign Machado, Abreu and Alonso will split 1B/DH duties.

If the Sox sign Harper, Alonso will be traded. Encarnacion or Martinez will be acquired as DH, with Abreu as 1B.

If they sign neither, I have no idea but I don't think they'd need to trade for any more 1B/DH types. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Elaborating on an earlier post, I'd guess:

If the Sox sign Machado, Abreu and Alonso will split 1B/DH duties.

If the Sox sign Harper, Alonso will be traded. Encarnacion or Martinez will be acquired as DH, with Abreu as 1B.

If they sign neither, I have no idea but I don't think they'd need to trade for any more 1B/DH types. 

If they sign neither, Abreu is traded for prospects and Alonzo mans 1B this season. Jose can come back in 2020 if the price is right and he wants to return. 

Just now, Balta1701 said:

If there's one thing that sums up the last decade of white sox teams, it is overpaying to fill the DH position with a player who falls off a cliff once acquired. 

But if Jose Martinez comes here and plays well, is this proof the Sox can develop offensive prospects?  :)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, fathom said:

I can't imagine a bigger FU to the fans than this

I don't think it would be an FU if they got Fisher and Martes from Houston, especially if Abreu comes right back in 2020 like Chapman did with the Jankees. 

Where does Abreu fit long term anyway? He really doesn't, so I really don't mind cashing in on him this year. If they don't get Harper or Machado, this year is going to suck anyway. Grab another top 3 pick in 2020 and grab some talent for Abreu too. If Abreu really wants to come back, and Hahn wants him back, move the guy and sign him in 2020. 

It would have to be a deal similar to the one mentioned above to consider moving him. Otherwise, Abreu is worth more to the Sox than anyone else. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

8 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

If they sign neither, Abreu is traded for prospects and Alonzo mans 1B this season. Jose can come back in 2020 if the price is right and he wants to return. 

Then we are stuck with Alonso for another year.