Offseason plan in the event the Sox don't get HarpChado

Jack Parkman

- trade Yolmer Sanchez for Jose Martinez

- trade Yonder to Yankees for 25-30 range prospect

- sign Ottavino to be closer (2/20 with vesting 3rd year option depending on games finished)

- sign Pollock to 4/70

- sign Dozier to 2/20

- sign Ervin Santana to 1 year deal

None of these deals block the future prospects outside of Pollock, who you can easily move to a corner if Robert fulfills his potential.

I've seen worse lineups than Moncada/Pollock/Abreu/Jimenez/Martinez/Palka/Dozier/Castillo/Anderson

Edited by fathom

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Tar and feather Rick Hahn.

I'll accept if he misses on both but has a plan to bring in some controllable talent.  Making a panic move and trading for Encarnacion would be the nail in the coffin, IMO.  It would show a stunning lack of preparation and market awareness.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, fathom said:

I'll accept if he misses on both but has a plan to bring in some controllable talent.  Making a panic move and trading for Encarnacion would be the nail in the coffin, IMO.  It would show a stunning lack of preparation and market awareness.

The lineups and signings that were posted in your post and the previous one are gag-worthy. Classic Rick Hahn specials - overpaying in the middle range of the free agent market, for guys who aren't going to make a difference long term, so that we can win 73 games and declare loudly that we're going to be right there.

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

The lineups and signings that were posted in your post and the previous one are gag-worthy. Classic Rick Hahn specials - overpaying in the middle range of the free agent market, for guys who aren't going to make a difference long term, so that we can win 73 games and declare loudly that we're going to be right there.

Nobody thinks they're going to win more than 75 games this year anyway. 

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I don't disagree, but as things stand right now, the Sox roster is worse than it was last season.  After everything they've said, I doubt the Sox want to see this team be one of the 3 worst again.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ptatc said:

Stick with the youth movement. It's only been 2 years for the rebuild.

Might as well have kept Avi around then.  Outside of opening day, I don't think I'm going to have much interest watching a lineup with Delmonico, Engel and Yolmer to start the season the first few weeks.

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

I don't disagree, but as things stand right now, the Sox roster is worse than it was last season.  After everything they've said, I doubt the Sox want to see this team be one of the 3 worst again.

I think there's a good chance they could spend the $50 million you just outlined, have 1 or 2 injuries, and wind up in the bottom of the league again.

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Might as well have kept Avi around then.  Outside of opening day, I don't think I'm going to have much interest watching a lineup with Delmonico, Engel and Yolmer to start the season the first few weeks.

And you're going  to be interested in watching Dozier, Ervin Santana, and Engel who is starting with Pollock on the DL? 

Just now, jenksycat said:

Sign a bunch of shitty 30+ year olds

Claim they were all in on Manny and Harper but just couldn't afford them

They'll say they offered competitive contracts that far surpassed previous team highs, but they can't control where a free agent picks.  That narrative has already been stated by Hahn.

Just now, Balta1701 said:

And you're going  to be interested in watching Dozier, Ervin Santana, and Engel who is starting with Pollock on the DL? 

Dozier was hurt all last year.  His numbers the previous years were actually startling in terms of how good he was (fWAR).  I think he's a great buy low type of guy since they want to play Moncada at 3rd.  I have little interest in seeing Delmonico fly out to the warning track and Yolmer killing 20 worms on a weak grounder to 2nd base.

5 minutes ago, fathom said:

We've seen Avi. I would put Palka out there with Jimenez at the other corner. Never know where Palka goes. 

The Sox last year had 7 legit players that had a wRC+ of 100 or higher.  They've already let 3 of them go in Davidson, Smith and Omar.  LaMarre and Rondon are included in that number as well.  Only Abreu and Palka are expected to be on the roster in 2019.  That's the main reason I'm looking for some offensive short-term/long-term upgrades, as only Eloy is expected to help from the minors this year.

1) Trade Alonso. See if the Yankees or Astros want him. I really don’t need a year-long reminder of missing out on Machado on the team. Plus I’d rather see Palka in the DH spot and he also can spell Abreu at 1B.

2) Sign D.J. LeMahieu to a 2 year deal. He can bat lead off or in the 2 spot. Move Moncada to 3B. Sanchez becomes your backup IF.

3) Sign Ottavino.

4 minutes ago, LittleHurt05 said:

Watch little to no baseball for another season

This is the reason the White Sox never wanted to do a true, complete rebuild. Not to pick on you individually but I think this is the sentiment of most Sox fans and the fanbase will not tolerate a true rebuild. The cubs had 4 years of losing 90+ games, the Astros had 3 straight 100 loss seasons. The Sox fan base won't tolerate that.

57 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

What would you do in the absence of landing a big fish? 

My moves: 

Either Kikuchi or Pomeranz to fill out the rotation

Moustakas 3/33

Trade Abreu to Houston for Martes and Fisher

There's no reason to sign Moustakas to a multi-year deal. I would question taking on any multi-year deals to older veterans. Continue down the youth movement and be aggressive in signing/trading for premium talent.

16 minutes ago, ptatc said:

This is the reason the White Sox never wanted to do a true, complete rebuild. Not to pick on you individually but I think this is the sentiment of most Sox fans and the fanbase will not tolerate a true rebuild. The cubs had 4 years of losing 90+ games, the Astros had 3 straight 100 loss seasons. The Sox fan base won't tolerate that.

7 of the last 8 seasons have been losing ones. They mad the playoffs 10 years ago. Barely. How much is a fan supposed to take?

At what point is this not on the fan base but on the guys who have been in charge for close to 20 years?

Someday, everyone will be able to block out all the filler KW and RH use when they speak, and realize even if they may be bright guys, they pretty much suck at their jobs.  

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, spiderman said:

There's no reason to sign Moustakas to a multi-year deal. I would question taking on any multi-year deals to older veterans. Continue down the youth movement and be aggressive in signing/trading for premium talent.

3B is a hole, and they don't have any kids to play it. I don't think Burger is a true 3B and he's a couple years away at least.