Offseason plan in the event the Sox don't get HarpChado

Jack Parkman

24 minutes ago, ptatc said:

This is the reason the White Sox never wanted to do a true, complete rebuild. Not to pick on you individually but I think this is the sentiment of most Sox fans and the fanbase will not tolerate a true rebuild. The cubs had 4 years of losing 90+ games, the Astros had 3 straight 100 loss seasons. The Sox fan base won't tolerate that.

Except those GM’s didn’t come out and reveal that they were going all out for two huge FA’s. 

5 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

3B is a hole, and they don't have any kids to play it. I don't think Burger is a true 3B and he's a couple years away at least. 

you r correct he is a few years away, but I do think he will be an outstanding 3rd baseman, I like everything about him, his attitude, hitting, and fielding, he just might turn out to be one of their best draft choices that they actually drafted on their own.

1 minute ago, soxfan49 said:

Except those GM’s didn’t come out and reveal that they were going all out for two huge FA’s. 

Again, I've said this the whole offseason: I don't doubt the Sox were going to be competitive with money, but I don't think Harper or Machado are interested one bit in signing here. There isn't anything Hahn could do if that is the case, They'd listen in case the money was close, but I said the Sox would have to beat the next best offer by at least 50-75M, if not 100M to get them to even think twice about going elsewhere. Unless the Sox want to go to $400M when nobody else is at $300M, there isn't much they can do. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, spiderman said:

There's no reason to sign Moustakas to a multi-year deal. I would question taking on any multi-year deals to older veterans. Continue down the youth movement and be aggressive in signing/trading for premium talent.

Moustakas would reek of Kevin Youkilis in a White Sox uniform. 

I’d rather have Yolmer. 

The only way I will be placated is if the Sox announce they are committed to building the best player development org in the world, acquire some sports medicine start up and analytics business, say they are building special training facilities for players to use in North Carolina, and a hiring spree of front office officials from progressive franchises AND creating a scouting team and facility for some obscure country like Ghana.

And they sign drew Pomeranz and Shelby Miller to one year deals.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

7 of the last 8 seasons have been losing ones. They mad the playoffs 10 years ago. Barely. How much is a fan supposed to take?

At what point is this not on the fan base but on the guys who have been in charge for close to 20 years?

Look, I’m as sick of losing as anyone, but at the end of the day you got to stick to the plan if you’re unable to land the whales.  Spending big money on mediocre free agents is the worst thing we can do.  

That being said, I’d look into Kikuchi as well as Ottavino to be the closer if I could get him on a two year deal.  If we miss on those guys, I’d look at one year deals for potential flip candidates like Pomeranz & Allen.  I’d also be open to signing one of the 2B free agents (preferable Dozier) to a pillow contract if the market dries up.  Hell, I’d be ok with bringing Avi back if we could dump Alonso.  Those of the types of moves that make sense to me.  Save the rest of our money for a shot at Arenado, Rendon, & Bogearts next year.

1 minute ago, soxfan49 said:

First, what was the closest thing they actually said to “going all out” for them?

Second, saying they will pursue the two big free agents does not mean it’s guaranteed that they sign them. I still have no idea why people are so upset with Hahn and/or KW’s comments. Is it because you will be mad that you got your hopes up?

soxfan49, this isn’t directed at you only. I just don’t understand why anybody is so upset with Hahn and KW for not hiding the fact that they will try to sign the whales. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

7 of the last 8 seasons have been losing ones. They mad the playoffs 10 years ago. Barely. How much is a fan supposed to take?

At what point is this not on the fan base but on the guys who have been in charge for close to 20 years?

Someday, everyone will be able to block out all the filler KW and RH use when they speak, and realize even if they may be bright guys, they pretty much suck at their jobs.  

Like usual you are correct, too bad there garbage owner does not see it your way. The only way Sox fans can make themselves noticed is not to spend anything on them.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

First, what was the closest thing they actually said to “going all out” for them?

Second, saying they will pursue the two big free agents does not mean it’s guaranteed that they sign them. I still have no idea why people are so upset with Hahn and/or KW’s comments. Is it because you will be mad that you got your hopes up?

soxfan49, this isn’t directed at you only. I just don’t understand why anybody is so upset with Hahn and KW for not hiding the fact that they will try to sign the whales. 

Spending 9 million on a recruiting tool is going all out 

2 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

They didn’t say they would try, for two years when asked they did not hide that they would be aggressive, and Kenny saying this offseason would be different. There’s no denying the sentiment they were pushing.

They easily could have put out the fires after this terrible year saying “while we will always monitor and seek special players when available, we are committed to building our our timetable and will not try to accelerate things prematurely.”

Just now, fathom said:

Spending 9 million on a recruiting tool is going all out 

This too. I don’t know how it can be denied what Sox were doing, and many are rightly worried that this indicates these were actuallly a big part of their rebuild plans. I do think this offseason was a part of the pitch to JR as to why they should do the rebuild when they did.

Just now, bmags said:

They didn’t say they would try, for two years when asked they did not hide that they would be aggressive, and Kenny saying this offseason would be different. There’s no denying the sentiment they were pushing.

They easily could have put out the fires after this terrible year saying “while we will always monitor and seek special players when available, we are committed to building our our timetable and will not try to accelerate things prematurely.”

Almost as if they got caught up in the excitement of being told what they want to hear by Boras and Lozano, even if they were just being used.

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

But why is it a big deal that they didn’t say what you have in quotes? I fail to see anything wrong with letting people know you would try to sign Machado and Harper. 

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

I actually would too. Probably only need 1/$6

Something I’ve wondered if it would be possible is bringing Avi back for a little more money but being able to get a 12-14 team option for 2020?  Doubt it’s possible but would give you flexibility if he has a big 2019.