Offseason plan in the event the Sox don't get HarpChado

Jack Parkman

I swear a few of you guys have been in a mental tailspin since Kopech went down. No matter who this team signs they're still at least 2 years from contending. Stay the course. The only way this ship is righted is if guys like Anderson and Moncada develop and around 5 of the top 10 prospects hit. Relax and try to enjoy player development. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

But why is it a big deal that they didn’t say what you have in quotes? I fail to see anything wrong with letting people know you would try to sign Machado and Harper. 

That quote indicates that these were not the focus of their offseason plan and rebuild. Everything they have indicated is this was a focus of the org to go after these players. And they failed. Now the org needs to have a hell of a year of player development to show they have more than one star in the making in their org.

1 minute ago, TaylorStSox said:

It's the baseball equivalent of asking your dad, "Are we there yet?" a few hours into a road trip. 

Getting an additional 5-6 WAR player enhances the rebuild and its only for money. Those players aren’t always available when you need one for just money. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, bmags said:

Getting an additional 5-6 WAR player enhances the rebuild and its only for money. Those players aren’t always available when you need one for just money. 

How about a 1.3 WAR player for $400M? 😂 I get where you're coming from, but I've never seriously entertained the idea that either would come. I'm not really upset because I think both players are overrated. The Sox will be a more attractive destination when the prospects start hitting. There will be more opportunities to add. It doesn't have to be a 5 WAR player. It can be a pair of 3 WAR players for less money. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bmags said:

That quote indicates that these were not the focus of their offseason plan and rebuild. Everything they have indicated is this was a focus of the org to go after these players. And they failed. Now the org needs to have a hell of a year of player development to show they have more than one star in the making in their org.

I guess I still don’t see anything wrong with making it clear that your focus and intentions are to try to sign Machado or Harper. Just so it doesn’t look like a failure if they sign elsewhere? Why does that matter?

Just now, SoxBlanco said:

I guess I still don’t see anything wrong with making it clear that your focus and intentions are to try to sign Machado or Harper. Just so it doesn’t look like a failure if they sign elsewhere? Why does that matter?

I’m a fan of the white Sox and my take isn’t that words are just words they signify the direction and action of the org and I can judge them on that.

I’m a fan of the white Sox and my take isn’t that words are just words they signify the direction and action of the org and I can judge them on that.

Now I’m even more confused. You are saying you want words to mean something. So how could you not want them to be truthful on the direction and actions of the organization by saying they want to do everything in their power to sign those guys?

8 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

How about a 1.3 WAR player for $400M? 😂 I get where you're coming from, but I've never seriously entertained the idea that either would come. I'm not really upset because I think both players are overrated. The Sox will be a more attractive destination when the prospects start hitting. There will be more opportunities to add. It doesn't have to be a 5 WAR player. It can be a pair of 3 WAR players for less money. 

My hope is the org can create 3 WAR players internally, but 6 war players don’t come easy

10 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

Now I’m even more confused. You are saying you want words to mean something. So how could you not want them to be truthful on the direction and actions of the organization by saying they want to do everything in their power to sign those guys?

They did everything in their power? 

My hope is the org can create 3 WAR players internally, but 6 war players don’t come easy

I'm the complete opposite. I hope our 6 WAR players are Moncada or Jimenez or Robert and we sign a couple 3 WAR players to fill in the holes. The Sox can't afford to miss on 6 WAR free agents. Nothing will cripple this franchise faster than signing Harper long term and having him repeat last season. 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

Exactly, we only have a handful of guys with 6 WAR ceilings.  Not using our financial flexibility to add one via free agency puts an insane amount of pressure on hitting big time on most (if not all) of those guys.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

They did everything in their power? 

I feel like the argument is shifting now, so let me go back to my original point. People here have continuously said that they wish Hahn and KW were not so upfront with saying they will try to sign Machado or Harper. My question isn’t about whether they actually have done everything in their power. That’s a separate discussion and separate argument. I want to know why people care that Hahn and KW were honest about trying to sign one of the whales. 

5 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

I'm the complete opposite. I hope our 6 WAR players are Moncada or Jimenez or Robert and we sign a couple 3 WAR players to fill in the holes. The Sox can't afford to miss on 6 WAR free agents. Nothing will cripple this franchise faster than signing Harper long term and having him repeat last season. 

I have no urge to try to sign 3 WAR players. They are, IMO, the guys that are the most likely to underperform.

3-WAR players are guys that their teams could always sign if they wanted to keep them, and their team has decided that player isn't worth that money to them.  They're they guys where a team may not even offer them a QO because they don't want them back. 

If you've got to sign 1 of them to fill a role at the end, fine. But we've played this game before. We know how that game goes. That's the Todd Frazier, Jeff Samardzija game - we expect more out of those guys than we actually get, and they don't make a big difference in the end. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

I feel like the argument is shifting now, so let me go back to my original point. People here have continuously said that they wish Hahn and KW were not so upfront with saying they will try to sign Machado or Harper. My question isn’t about whether they actually have done everything in their power. That’s a separate discussion and separate argument. I want to know why people care that Hahn and KW were honest about trying to sign one of the whales. 

I hope they were honest about it because they should be doing everything they can to draw the attention of those players. I also hope they have come forward with the kind of unbeatable offer necessary to win one of them. I'm not confident in the latter. 

Just now, Balta1701 said:

I hope they were honest about it because they should be doing everything they can to draw the attention of those players. I also hope they have come forward with the kind of unbeatable offer necessary to win one of them. I'm not confident in the latter. 

Agreed. I’m not sure of the latter either. But do you have any idea why people keep saying that they wish Hahn and KW hadn’t said anything about trying to sign them?

12 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

Yeah, gotta disagree with your thinking here.  With our prospect depth, 2 to 3 win players shouldn’t (hopefully) be hard to come by.  Developing stars will be the challenge and the first prospect we’ve called up with that type of upside didn’t make a convincing first case that he’ll ever reach his ceiling.  Banking on us hitting on all three of Moncada, Jimenez, & Robert seems like a dangerous proposition.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, SoxBlanco said:

In that case, I agree with you. I like the honesty. I know others are saying that the honesty hurts them because it raised expectations. I however, do like the honesty.

Fans got on KW in the past about fan attendance determining their ability to get mid season players. All he was saying was that they knew all the revenues going into 5he season except the variable of attendance, thus attendance determined the extra income. 

Honesty really isn't the best policy with Sox fans as they will turn it against them. This is why KW stopped doing radio interviews.

2 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

Agreed. I’m not sure of the latter either. But do you have any idea why people keep saying that they wish Hahn and KW hadn’t said anything about trying to sign them?

Because they'd feel better about hahn and KW if they didn't say anything while doing their usual thing perhaps?

5 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Well its obviously not an unbeatable offer if they go elsewhere. That is different than offering the most money.

1 minute ago, ptatc said:

In that case, I agree with you. I like the honesty. I know others are saying that the honesty hurts them because it raised expectations. I however, do like the honesty.

Fans got on KW in the past about fan attendance determining their ability to get mid season players. All he was saying was that they knew all the revenues going into 5he season except the variable of attendance, thus attendance determined the extra income. 

Honesty really isn't the best policy with Sox fans as they will turn it against them. This is why KW stopped doing radio interviews.

I have no problem with honesty as long as there's some reasonable chance of success. The problem is that they've been the worst franchise in baseball under Rick Hahn, and its not really close, and they're the ones to blame for that. If they want to pass off blame to the fans for not showing up - f*** give us a product worth showing up for you abject failures.

• Like 1