Offseason plan in the event the Sox don't get HarpChado

Jack Parkman

1 hour ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Diamondbacks trade SP Bronson Arroyo and SP Touki Toussaint to the Braves for INF Phillip Gosselin.

"The Braves have acquired right-handed pitchers Bronson Arroyo and Touki Toussaint from the Diamondbacks in exchange for infielder Philip Gosselin, reports Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports (via Twitter). Both teams have confirmed the move via press release.

The move appears to be monetarily motivated for the Diamondbacks. Arroyo is owed the balance of $9.5MM this season plus a $4.5MM buyout (or $13MM option), tweets Rosenthal. The total guarantee is about $10.1MM. He could return from Tommy John surgery as soon as August. "

So you've got no better examples than a deal that happened mid-season, 3.5 years ago, for a guy who was 1 full year out of being a first round pick and who as a 19 year old in high-A ball had an ERA of 4.83? I think this is a strong argument that these deals are extremely rare and don't return much.

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

So you've got no better examples than a deal that happened mid-season, 3.5 years ago, for a guy who was 1 full year out of being a first round pick and who as a 19 year old in high-A ball had an ERA of 4.83? I think this is a strong argument that these deals are extremely rare and don't return much.

You said you struggled to think of an example. I didn't have to struggle, that one has been fresh in my mind for a while. 

Touki Touissant was a top 100 prospect at the time of the deal. Former 1st RD pick who is in the top 100? Yeah, I think that qualifies as a pretty decent prospect that the Braves got out of that deal for buying Arroyo's contract.

In fact, that's a similar return to nearly every trade I proposed, a backend top 100 guy.