Mariners to Sign Kikuchi

DirtySox

24 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

One more argument for moving to Portland, lol.

Much closer to the Japanese market.   Just don’t have the opposing teams staying at the DoubleTree.

I would have thought making them stay there would be a great advantage. 

11 minutes ago, bmags said:

That ... sounds like he’s mistaken. You are giving the player the option to re ew his contract for 4 years? 

Sure, if his contract was seriously backloaded...it would have to be attractive enough to keep him off the free agent market at Year 4, right?

Edited by caulfield12

2 minutes ago, Sarava said:

I was going to express disappointment in the Sox letting yet another player sign elsewhere. But if he seriously got 7 guaranteed years - then enjoy him Seattle!

Yeah exactly. It would have been fun and maybe it’s a 7 year 10 million contract (I doubt it) but not a length I’d want to commit to. Really bizarre.

“MLB Network insider Jon Heyman says the unique deal is for an initial three years, plus a player option in 2022. But the option can potentially be replaced by an additional four-year guarantee that would convert the deal to seven years.”

So it’s only guaranteed for three years...we need to find out more about how this player (but not team option) works.  There should be protection built into the deal for both sides, or maybe incentives met are related to the player option automatically kicking in.

Since they’re rebuilding, it would make sense for the M’s to want a player for more than three years, because they’re unlikely to be competitive from 2019-21.  Weird deal...or revolutionary, time will tell, and who the hell knows with the Mariners?