Mariners to Sign Kikuchi

DirtySox

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/25658933/seattle-mariners-japanese-lefty-yusei-kikuchi-agree-four-year-deal

I think Heyman was mistaken. Passan mentions no four year extension. He probably just misunderstood someone saying that when the player option is executed it’s a guaranteed 4 year contract, not an additional 4 years.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bmags said:

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/25658933/seattle-mariners-japanese-lefty-yusei-kikuchi-agree-four-year-deal

I think Heyman was mistaken. Passan mentions no four year extension. He probably just misunderstood someone saying that when the player option is executed it’s a guaranteed 4 year contract, not an additional 4 years.

He also doesn’t mention anything about the terms of the deal. He obviously doesn’t know details.

4 minutes ago, aeichhor said:

This makes a lot more sense.

edit: actually rereading his first tweet it actually was describing the 4 year extension as a team option. The first time I read the 4 year guarantee as a player option.

1 minute ago, ptatc said:

How much higher would've the Sox needed to go to get him away from the west coast?

It was pretty widely rumored that he preferred the west coast, yes?  I would have loved for the Sox to pounce on him at those numbers (+posting), but I'm not gonna be overly upset that he chose Seattle.

2 minutes ago, SouthWallace said:

It was pretty widely rumored that he preferred the west coast, yes?  I would have loved for the Sox to pounce on him at those numbers (+posting), but I'm not gonna be overly upset that he chose Seattle.

That's what I remember. Most Asian players do because of the flights. If they are making enough money to go home on occasion, I don't blame them.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, sin city sox fan said:

I just don’t think we have the money to sign him, Machado, and Harper. We had to cut bait with one of these players

Actually, that contract would have been fine to absorb, along with one of the Big 2.

The problem is his health, and he’s a workhorse guy like Q...not a dominant, TOR type.  There hasn’t been a single Japanese pitcher not to lose effectiveness after coming to MLB due to injury.   

Let say his upside is Maeda-like results.

The only reason is you feel that there’s no opportunity for better FA pitchers next offseason (dubious)...the risk/reward is justified for a LHP or your marketing department, but the Pacific Northwest has always been a better home for Japanese pitchers.  Our only connection was Tikatsu and Iguchi over a decade ago now.