**Movies that we Watch** Thread

Brian

I watched a lot during my week off.

Enjoyed Crazy Rich Asians. 

Vice was just ok. Nothing great.

Expected more from Leave No Trace. Poignant but slow.

Eighth Grade was excellent. 

Enjoyed Birdbox, disappointed in Bandersnatch.

Roma didn't resonate with me. Didnt even finish it. Oops

A Simple Favor was one I wanted to see but ran out of time and don't want to pay $6 to rent.

Here's my 2018 top 10 of anyone cares. 😁

1. A Quiet Place
2. Upgrade
3. Avengers: Infinity War
4. American Animals
5. Green Book
6. A Star is Born
7. Three Identical Strangers
8. Love, Simon
9. BlacKKKlansman
10. Eighth Grade

The Hate U Give, The Old Man and the Gun, Creed 2 (not quite as good as the first), Shoplifters (great Japanese film), Sorry to Bother You, The Rider, First Reformed, Paddington 2, To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before, Elf (had somehow never seen it b4), Tully, Won’t You Be My Neighbor?, Widows, Into the Spiderverse...those are some of my favorites the last six months

Tried to watch The Mule But couldn’t finish (don’t like his politics, but enjoyed Gran Torino and American Sniper), it’s just not a movie that fits with the zeitgeist of 2018

Edited by caulfield12

I don't watch a lot of movies but have seen a few lately.

Enjoyed Bohemian Rhapsody a lot.  I'm a huge Queen fan, and even though I know the movie didn't go real deep into Mercury's life, it was a good time at the movies.

BirdBox was good.  The suspense was well-done.  I thought the ending was a bit quick, but it was a nice surprise.

The Wave, a Norwegian film from 2016, was really good.  It was a disaster flick, but I thought it was better than a lot of the American disaster movies.

Yesterday my wife and I watched A Man Called Ove.  It's a Swedish movie.  Really enjoyed it.  I've watched my share of foreign movies and have no problem following the subtitles.  This movie had a ton of dialogue, and the characters talked quickly.  I had to pay close attention to it.  Highly recommended.

17 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Tried to watch The Mule But couldn’t finish (don’t like his politics, but enjoyed Gran Torino and American Sniper), it’s just not a movie that fits with the zeitgeist of 2018

Not sure if I was being soft, but I thought The Mule felt pretty racist at a few points. Like Clint put these jokes in there to be the cute old guy who doesn't know what is right or wrong to say, but came off as more inappropriate. 

I did chuckle at the Dykes on Bikes part.

• 2 weeks later...

Vice was GOOD, not great.

Bale really did a good job with the Cheney role (especially the 2000 to present time period).  In the effort to explore both sides and be objective, I think they end up muddling the message of the picture, which is that what Cheney did while in office (especially under GW Bush) was extraordinary and basically evil.

By softening the message by focusing the family's struggles with their daughter's lesbianism and the resulting controversy within the Republican Party, they make the film more well-rounded, but it's almost as if they were afraid to offend anyone on either side of the political aisle...so it comes off with just as much "admiration" as outrage.  That's all fine and good, but this unwillingness to take a position (and even to make fun of the Cheney group divvying up the world like they're making dessert choices at a Michelin 2-star restaurant) left the ultimate ending as...well, almost sympathetic, because of all his heart problems, many that were self-induced.

Amy Adams was also good...Carell was so so as Rumsfield, I think Rockwell did a great impression of GW Bush, but didn't quite inhabit the character (he's only in the film for 10-12 minutes total).

Wow I really liked Bohemian Rhapsody. I knew a bunch of their songs, but really didn't know any of the backstory other than Freddie Mercury being gay and dying of AIDS. I found the movie fascinating and I've spent my time since coming home from the theater just watching documentaries. Rami Malek absolutely nailed it. Really, all of the casting at the very least looked spot on.

Edited by ChiliIrishHammock24

8 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Wow I really liked Bohemian Rhapsody. I knew a bunch of their songs, but really didn't know any of the backstory other than Freddie Mercury being gay and dying of AIDS. I found the documentary fascinating and I've spent my time since coming home from the theater just watching documentaries. Rami Malek absolutely nailed it. Really, all of the casting at the very least looked spot on.

I wouldn't call Bohemian Rhapsody a documentary.  A lot of criticism from people was the story was really rushed and timelines were messed with a lot. I still really enjoyed it though!

1 hour ago, BigHurt3515 said:

I wouldn't call Bohemian Rhapsody a documentary.  A lot of criticism from people was the story was really rushed and timelines were messed with a lot. I still really enjoyed it though!

Sorry, I didn't mean to call it a documentary. I came home and immediately watched a documentary on the band, and mixed my words.

On 1/18/2019 at 1:19 AM, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Sorry, I didn't mean to call it a documentary. I came home and immediately watched a documentary on the band, and mixed my words.

You’re fired!  

I love Rami Malek In Mr. Robot, but somehow haven’t been motivated enough (yet) to watch this particular film.

Since it’s almost Chinese New Year’s, I’m pathetically stuck with A Dog’s Way Home or local fare in terms of actually going to the cinema.  

If Beale Street Could Talk is my next online choice.  Roma, still haven’t found a version with subs.

Edited by caulfield12

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

You’re fired!  

I love Rami Malek In Mr. Robot, but somehow haven’t been motivated enough (yet) to watch this particular film.

I eventually gave up on Mr Robot because it got too weird, but yeah, Rami nails it man. And funny enough he said he got asked to play Freddie because of his role in Mr Robot. He said it doesn't make any sense to him. Lol

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/2019-oscar-nominations-complete-list-131536427.html

All the Oscar nominations.

It’s going to take a win for Roma to get me to watch.  Right now, they don’t even have a host.

Vice, Green Book, Bohemian, Spike Lee joint, no way, same with BP.  The Favourite, A Star is Born or Roma....those are the three left standing.

Edited by caulfield12

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

Finally saw Baby Driver, and have no idea why people were excited about that movie.  It was a two hour car chase.

And?

The editing was phenomenal.

Edited by Brian

• Brian changed the title to **Movies that we Watch** Thread