**Movies that we Watch** Thread

Brian

Wow...high praise for Shazam.  Not sure I'd go that far.

Always Be My Maybe....indie Asian-led (Randall Park from Fresh Off the Boat and Ali Wong) with a hilarious supporting performance by Keanu Reeves as the anti-Keanu, 3.25 stars

Toy Story 4   3 1/2 stars

Spiderman   3 1/2 stars

Tried to get through the critically-acclaimed Booksmart and made it through about 60 minutes...

22 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Wow...high praise for Shazam.  Not sure I'd go that far.

Dark Knight ****1/2

Watchmen *** 1/2

Jonah Hex *

Green Lantern *1/2

Dark Knight Rises **1/2

Man of Steel **

Batman vs Superman **1/2

Suicide Squad **

Wonder Woman *** 1/2

Justice League **1/2

Aquaman ***

Shazam ****

Updated Quentin Tarantino power rankings.

1. Pulp Fiction

2. Inglorious Basterds

3. Kill Bill Vol 2

4. Once Upon A Time in Hollywood

5. Reservoir Dogs

6. Kill Bill Vol 1

7. Jackie Brown

8. Death Proof

9. Django Unchained

10. Hateful Eight

I think OUATIH is QT's best character piece.

59 minutes ago, Brian said:

Updated Quentin Tarantino power rankings.

1. Pulp Fiction

2. Inglorious Basterds

3. Kill Bill Vol 2

4. Once Upon A Time in Hollywood

5. Reservoir Dogs

6. Kill Bill Vol 1

7. Jackie Brown

8. Death Proof

9. Django Unchained

10. Hateful Eight

I think OUATIH is QT's best character piece.

DiCaprio and Pitt were great together.  Telling the Tate story without giving her much dialogue was an interesting decision.  One or two too many shots lingering on the hippie girl’s butt as she was sweet talking Pitt on Ventura, Hollywood or Melrose.  

As much as researchers try to figure it out, nobody has cogently explained the hold of Manson on those kids.  Finally, favorite scenes were with the precocious Trudi...and missed the Luke Perry cameo somehow.

For a director known for violence (and certainly the gruesome true story underpinning the events), it wasn’t that type of movie, it was a love letter to that period of cinema and the way things used to be.  Maybe a bit of self-reflection on the director’s part that the things you used to be able to get away with back then are rapidly becoming a thing of the past.

Crawl was actually the best alligator/crocodile movie of all time, although a low bar for sure.

Art of Self Defense already gone after one week, was meaning to watch that...although Zombieland 2 is enough Eisenberg for me.

The Lion King was strangely disappointing.  Just too much cognitive dissonance laying that soundtrack over real life animals in nature...Seth Rogen for once made it more tolerable.

Edited by caulfield12

3 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

DiCaprio and Pitt were great together.  Telling the Tate story without giving her much dialogue was an interesting decision.  One or two too many shots lingering on the hippie girl’s butt as she was sweet talking Pitt on Ventura, Hollywood or Melrose.  

As much as researchers try to figure it out, nobody has cogently explained the hold of Manson on those kids.  Finally, favorite scenes were with the precocious Trudi...and missed the Luke Perry cameo somehow.

For a director known for violence (and certainly the gruesome true story underpinning the events), it wasn’t that type of movie, it was a love letter to that period of cinema and the way things used to be.  Maybe a bit of self-reflection on the director’s part that the things you used to be able to get away with back then are rapidly becoming a thing of the past.

Did you fall asleep for the 10 minutes Luke Perry was on the screen talking with Leo? 😜

I'll complain about the hairy pit shot of Cat and not the ass shots.

Felt the 2.5 hours flew by. Didn't drag like his 3 hour movies. The climax was pretty gorey but I know what you mean. Didn't you like Birdie?

Edited by Brian

51 minutes ago, Brian said:

Did you fall asleep for the 10 minutes Luke Perry was on the screen talking with Leo? 😜

I'll complain about the hairy pit shot of Cat and not the ass shots.

Felt the 2.5 hours flew by. Didn't drag like his 3 hour movies. The climax was pretty gorey but I know what you mean. Didn't you like Birdie?

I forgot Bruce Lee...that was awesome, too.

I must have fallen asleep there somehow...never adjust completely to jet lag from China, 4 p.m. show is like the middle of the morning.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, soxfan2014 said:

Just looked him up to see if he played anyone in Breaking Bad. I don't remember a character named Ed.

He was the guy who was going to help Walter go into hiding at the end of Breaking Bad. And did help Saul

• 4 weeks later...

Is Zombieland sequel good? That first one 10 years ago was fun. Woody is great. Is Joker worth going to? Or Judy? I don't care about individual performances by Phoenix and/or Renee Z. I want a good movie. I thought Hustlers sucked BTW.

Joker is bleak...but a great, albeit divisive approach from director and actor alike.  Still, Phoenix goes to the head of the pack for the Oscar.

Hustlers was okay.

Will Smith...what happened to your career, or Ang Lee, for that matter?   The distraction resulting from the frame rate and stilted dialogue are so bad that a decent concept was turned into garbage.

Favorite movies nobody has heard of, indie doc American Factory and One Cut of the Dead, Japanese meta zombie flick...

• 5 weeks later...

Ford vs. Ferrari was a worthwhile watch, a tick better than the Hunt/Nikki Lauda one with Thor.

Seems like retro days, with Midway being the type of movie that came out in the 1950’s, but with CGI...actually enjoyed that one more than expected, the battle scenes were awesome but exposition in between and Ed Skrein (last time I saw him was Akita Battle Angel) was over the top annoying.

Frozen 2 (saw it yesterday with 4 year old son and wife) was a shadow of the first one, but with a catchy soundtrack, improved animation and more overly cute product tie-ins.   It’s tolerable, but one’s mind wanders.  Had a 72% positive rating at RT last time I checked.  Some really cool scenes from a child’s 3-D perspective.

On 7/23/2019 at 8:58 AM, knightni said:

Dark Knight ****1/2

Watchmen *** 1/2

Jonah Hex *

Green Lantern *1/2

Dark Knight Rises **1/2

Man of Steel **

Batman vs Superman **1/2

Suicide Squad **

Wonder Woman *** 1/2

Justice League **1/2

Aquaman ***

Shazam ****

I hated the whole premise of Batman vs. Superman even though i was just going by the title when I first heard of it. The whole idea that Batman or anyone could think that Superman was corruptible bothered me. Here is this super man both physically and morally yet somehow Batman who is supposed to be very smart somehow thinks Superman could be corrupted and proceeds to fight him with very little dialogue between them to resolves what makes Batman think that way. I know the whole argument with absolute power corrupts absolutely but without any proof how the hell could Batman just get so worked up about it enough to fight this paragon of virtue ? It just belittled the Batman character too much. I got over it because the whole Death of Superman with Wonder Woman ( her character intro ), Superman and Batman fighting as a team was pretty cool.

• Brian changed the title to **Movies that we Watch** Thread