**Movies that we Watch** Thread

Brian

19 hours ago, bmags said:

Parasite won a bunch last night. Eminem sang.

I am excited to see Downhill. I have seen force majeur and loved it and I'm not sure if that ruins it, but I think JLD and Ferrell will be too good to avoid anyway.

Force Majeur was so good. This remake isn't being well received, so I won't make it a priority. Maybe when it's on HBO.

On 2/11/2020 at 9:48 AM, Brian said:

Force Majeur was so good. This remake isn't being well received, so I won't make it a priority. Maybe when it's on HBO.

Naturally. That sucks. The previews certainly made the tone look heavily slapstick/american vs the slow burn embarrassment of Force Majeure. But was hoping it would be int he line of "in the loop" and veep type comedies.

Personally, liked Dunkirk more, but it’s such a unique film, the reactions are due to be so varied.  Enjoyed George McKay in Captain Fantastic, that’s the performance that really put him on the map.

The Gentlemen and Queen & Slim were both highly watchable, especially the latter film.

Harriet was almost a Hallmark/Lifetime movie, but Cynthia Erivo elevates it well beyond that level...just her musical talent alone is off the charts, and perhaps the most jarring aspect is currently watching her as well in The Outsider as such a distinctive character, a demon-sensitive PI savant.

Btw, BoJack Horseman rules!

10 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Personally, liked Dunkirk more, but it’s such a unique film, the reactions are due to be so varied.  Enjoyed George McKay in Captain Fantastic, that’s the performance that really put him on the map.

The Gentlemen and Queen & Slim were both highly watchable, especially the latter film.

Harriet was almost a Hallmark/Lifetime movie, but Cynthia Erivo elevates it well beyond that level...just her musical talent alone is off the charts, and perhaps the most jarring aspect is currently watching her as well in The Outsider as such a distinctive character, a demon-sensitive PI savant.

Btw, BoJack Horseman rules!

Dunkirk was HORRIBLE.

I generally like Chris Nolan movies- his Batman trilogy is easily my favorite of the superhero genre. And years ago, my friend and I drove home from the theatre trying to piece together every individual element of Inception. So I can totally enjoy some unconventional story telling.

But don’t do that for Dunkirk. Introduce us to a few soldiers who are at risk of annihilation, show the reaction/panic of the people back in Britain, show a hodgepodge fleet being assembled, play some glorious music with many panoramic shots while they get picked up, fade to black with a single subtitle about how so many of these dudes returned at Normandy four years later. And cut. Boom.

Mrs. Miniver does a way better job at this story with only twenty or so minutes of its run time devoted to it.

29 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

I view Dunkirk more as an exercise in filmmaking than a good film. The narrative is lacking, but it's beautifully made. 

I can agree with that, and I can appreciate those types of movies, but not for that particular story. Just be conventional with that topic (and with truth-based war movies in general).

42 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

I view Dunkirk more as an exercise in filmmaking than a good film. The narrative is lacking, but it's beautifully made. 

The film making aspect IMO is why it's such a great movie...I believe the narrative had to be told the way it was in order to have the tension hold in a cohesive fashion.  The guys in the video along with Quentin don't believe it would've worked in a more linear fashion.

Edited by TheBlackSox8

5 hours ago, greg775 said:

Movies ... who is the best male actor and female actor of all time?

Male: Jack Nicholson.

Female: Meryl Streep.

DeNiro, Daniel Day Lewis and Brando would get a lot of votes.  Tom Hanks and maybe Denzel Washington from the generation.

Hepburn(s), Bergman, Bette Davis...twenty years ago, perhaps it was Jodie Foster.  Streep passed her.  Cate Blanchette of the current generation.

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

DeNiro, Daniel Day Lewis and Brando would get a lot of votes.  Tom Hanks and maybe Denzel Washington from the generation.

Hepburn(s), Bergman, Bette Davis...twenty years ago, perhaps it was Jodie Foster.  Streep passed her.  Cate Blanchette of the current generation.

Maybe it's an easy role but I think Nicholson's work in 3 movies shows his greatness: The "you can't handle the truth" movie he is insanely brilliant; the movie Kukoo's Nest he is insanely brilliant and the movie with Shirley McLaine where McLaine's daughter dies of cancer he is supurb.

I just think Streep is outstanding on the women's side.

p.s. Office Space was on TV last night and I had to watch. Dammit what a movie!

I used to buy DVDs pretty frequently when I was younger and had more disposable income.

I'd say that I watched a couple Kevin Smith movies on a regular basis back then. Mallrats particularly, but also Strike Back.

I like all of the Craig Bond movies enough to watch at any given time. The Blues Brothers. Dredd, The Raid 1&2, John Wick 1&2.

I also enjoy television in the same way and I've watch several episodes of Mystery Science Theater 3000 dozens of times. Each episode consists of a B-movie that they crack jokes about.

Not a movie but The Outsider on HBO is probably the best Stephen King adaptation so far.  Its pacing is pretty poor as the first two episodes were a good chunk of the book and a ton of the action and then it moves extremely slowly from episodes 3 through 8.  But it’s still a well done adaptation.  It probably would have been fine as 6 to 8 one hour episodes as opposed to 10.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

Caught up on a couple more Oscar nominated movies over the weekend.  JoJo Rabbit was really good.  Had some good humor despite its relatively serious subject matter.  Also watched It's A Beautiful Day In The Neighborhood.  Having grown up watching Mr. Rogers, it was very nostalgic.  Tom Hanks played the role perfectly.

Of all the best picture nominees that I've seen, however, Parasite was the best in my opinion.  1917 was beautifully shot and a truly great movie, and it deserved the cinematography and visual effects awards.  It was a movie I was really glad I saw in the theater.

Emma 3.5 (Taylor-Joy one of the most talented in upcoming generation of actresses)

The Way Back 3.25  (great work by Affleck in familiar personal territory, sports story aspect the traditional cliche)

Onward  3.0 (tries just a bit too hard for that Field of Dreams father and son bonding vibe)

The Hunt was disappointing....wait on that one, if the theatres ever open again.

Joking, I hope.  Buckle up for the next 2-4 months, it’s going to get bumpy for the entertainment industry as well, in terms of creating new content. 

On the plus side, we have a lot to look forward to...when things eventually get released in the summer/fall. 

I usually am not a big fan of mystery movies, but my wife really wanted to watch Knives Out.  It was actually quite entertaining and worth a look imho.  

We actually sat down to watch it with a pizza with my college age son, and he stayed for the entire film (not something he usually does with his folks)....high praise indeed :lol: