**Movies that we Watch** Thread

Brian

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, Tony said:

Finally watched it tonight, really liked it. 

That's crazy, I literally just finished it and was coming here to tag bmags' post. I thought it was great, Lonely Island made a romcom and it's easily one of my favorites of the genre.

5 minutes ago, Tony said:

I had heard good things, and knew it “wasn’t what I thought it was” but didn’t know the twist or premise, and I think it made it that much more enjoyable. I really enjoy when a group of smart people can finally give a different take on a genre that’s been basically sucked dry of any new ideas. 

Yeah, I went into it blind as well and I’d recommend watching it that way, the twist caught me completely off guard. And yeah, it’s super impressive that they were able to take a trope that’s been used a lot, especially of late and make it feel fresh, I also found myself caring about the characters because the acting was so good. Oh and bonus points for putting Conner O’Malley in the movie, he needs to be in more things, one of the funniest people alive. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/15/2020 at 10:06 AM, hi8is said:

One of the strangest films I’ve ever seen in my life... Charlie Kauffman’s “I’m Thinking of Ending Things” recently released on Netflix.

Giant, Kauffman stan here. What a miserable movie, did not connect the double entendre in the title. Firmly in the Requiem for a Dream category of movies I found fascinating that I will absolutely never watch nor recommend ever again. 

Have watched Palm Springs a few times already and it does not get old. A+

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Brian said:

Returned to the theatre last week and saw Tenet. Easily Nolan's worse movie. I was bored and tuned out the last 20 mins or so.

Agreed. Fan of his movies, but movie was a bust. Even if it was pre-covid released, I think it would of bombed. He was trying too hard to prove he’s smart instead of making a good movie.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Unfortunately, seeing Wonder Woman 1984 in the theatre will prove to be a choice the majority of American families will later come to regret.

No idea how it can have an 88% positive ranking at RT.

There’s simply not enough action, there are enough plot holes to drive a Brinks truck through, Cheetah’s CGI is total mess and the last 1/3rd or 1/4th of the film is bordering on incoherence.   

8 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Unfortunately, seeing Wonder Woman 1984 in the theatre will prove to be a choice the majority of American families will later come to regret.

There’s simply not enough action, there are enough plot holes to drive a Brinks truck through, Cheetah’s CGI is total mess and the last 1/3rd or 1/4th of the film is bordering on incoherence.   

They won't be doing that, they will mostly be watching at home on HBO max 

I’ll just say this.

The first movie is arguably one of the top 3 modern-day superhero movies.

This movie almost forces you to consider a future world where nobody leaves home, as unlikely as that seems.  The line between premium Netflix content and a $200+ million tentpole event movie has never been so indistinguishable...part of it was the lack of at least one more set/action piece, or maybe it just felt like so much less action then the previous one because of the 2 hour 31 minute running time.  Having two villains seemingly forced another 30-45 minutes into the film.

I’ll leave it for others to add spoiler tags with all the implausible plot gyrations...it’s almost like they tried to throw everything from 2015 to 2020 into a geopolitical stew and didn’t realize how bland and befuddling the result would be.

Just hope Jenkins can pull it back together for the Star Wars series.

7 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

It’s already released in China?

On Sat Dec 19 2020 at 10:15 AM, Chicago White Sox said:

It’s already released in China?

Yeah, Thursday at midnight.

Limited restrictions here....except still need to wear mask coming into theatre, lining up to enter...limited to 30-50% capacity still despite last case being over six months ago.

Almost everyone is wearing a mask in public still due to Japan and South Korea fears, that the same thing would happen here if they allowed international travel or travel bubbles.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/wonder-woman-1984-china-debut-183339825.html

It should also be noted that only 25% of revenues from American films shown in China go back to the US...which is lower than the rest of the world by +/- 10% or so. 

The Rescue (local movie) is supposed to be terrible but the government manipulates the review aggregator numbers for nationalistic/patriotic films. They also manipulated the negative scores with Mulan quite obviously, fwiw.

Edited by caulfield12

• 2 weeks later...

As someone who hasn’t particularly liked Nolan’s work, I thought tenet was absolutely rad as hell. Actually having a sense of humor made the “game rules exposition” bearable and it had so many fun set pieces. I actually watched it back to back nights just to rewatch some fun scenes.