**Movies that we Watch** Thread

Brian

1 hour ago, bmags said:

As someone who hasn’t particularly liked Nolan’s work, I thought tenet was absolutely rad as hell. Actually having a sense of humor made the “game rules exposition” bearable and it had so many fun set pieces. I actually watched it back to back nights just to rewatch some fun scenes.

I loved it as well. Didn’t care for the audio mix, which made it hard to hear the dialogue for me... even turned on subtitles.

But yea, been a fan since memento was out in theaters... and while Tenet got bad reviews, I really loved it. 

Movies that I saw in 2020 that I still remember seeing and liked:
- Palm Springs
- Tenet
- Mank
- Boys State (doc)
- Trip to Greece
- David Byrne's American Utopia (doc)

Movies that I saw in 2020 that I didn't remember until a list reminded me they existed:
- The Trial of the Chicago 7 
- On the Rocks 
- American Pickle (I actually thought this was enjoyable but completely forgot it so it gets downgraded)

I liked the painted bird novel, but just can't imagine i'll be in the headspace to want to dive into that. First Cow I gave 10 minutes then went to bed, not looking good for returning.

Nomadland I'll probably give a shot. But honestly for entertainment from movies now I just want some shit to blow up, to be shot with bright colors and going around the world to cool places in boats and shit. I 100% just want escapism now. The only reason mank survived really is the good old time hollywood stuff which i'm a sucker for and the incredible acting performances. But will I watch Boys state again? 0% chance. Everything else up there? Hell yeah. I'll probably watch Trip to Greece 4-5 more times in the next 5 years and I wouldn't even tell anyone it's a good film.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/5/2021 at 6:04 AM, Brian said:

Sound of Metal was excellent.

Hopefully I can see Nomadland somehow. May go across border to see “News of the World” tomorrow.

Promising Young Woman should be on demand next week.

Yeah, although I hope the controversy brewing on the part of audiologists and abled/disabled community doesn’t get Riz Ahmed’s likely nomination for best actor sidetracked.

News of the World is almost exactly what I expected...Dances With Wolves Meets Tom Hanks, although clearly an inferior film to that.  A little dose of anti-Trumpism/populism thrown in there as well, which didn’t come as any great shock.

A Private War (real life story of Guardian/Sunday Times Middle East correspondent Marie Colvin) is excellent...and heartbreaking as well.

First time I can remember a Bond girl having such a successful dramatic run.

I Care A Lot (about elderly/assisted living fraud) is supposed to be an excellent dark comedy as well, putting Rosamund Pike squarely in the Best Actress discussion.

3 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

The payoff was so bad.  Nothing solved, no resolution 

I was actually somewhat ok with that but I just felt like I’ve seen this movie before. It did nothing new and the performances weren’t anything special. It was just very “meh”

https://variety.com/feature/2021-oscars-best-picture-predictions-1234768047/

Top 20 picks for Best Picture.   Have seen 13 so far.   Nomadland is still the one that sticks out, along with The Trial of the Chicago 7 being so topical it’s gaining all the momentum that was once with Ma Rainney.   Minari victimized by debate over whether its a foreign film or not.

Judas and the Black Messiah was really good, as people have said. Wonder how accurate the portrayal of Hoover was. Was he that racist?

End was powerful and sad.

Was thinking of going to see Nomadland in theatre today but don’t think snow will let me, so will probably wait for Hulu Saturday.

• 2 weeks later...