**Movies that we Watch** Thread

Brian

9 hours ago, Tony said:

Ghostbusters was harmless, fan-servicy fun....and I had no problem with it. 

Wasn't the greatest, wasn't the worst. Had some laughs, the ending pretty much worked for me too. 

Way better than the 2016 version, and I'm glad it didn't take itself too seriously. 

I enjoyed it

Really liked the Harold stuff at the end. 

2 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

Really liked the Harold stuff at the end. 

I did too, it worked for me. I could see people thinking it was too corny or over the top, but it worked for me.

There were 100% issues with the movie. It seemed to totally shift tones once they hit the Walmart, it went from a "simple" movie to feeling like a big budget blockbuster way too quickly, but again, for me it was a movie that didn't try to take itself too seriously and kind of felt like a love letter to the diehards, which I appreciate. 

1 minute ago, Tony said:

I did too, it worked for me. I could see people thinking it was too corny or over the top, but it worked for me.

There were 100% issues with the movie. It seemed to totally shift tones once they hit the Walmart, it went from a "simple" movie to feeling like a big budget blockbuster way too quickly, but again, for me it was a movie that didn't try to take itself too seriously and kind of felt like a love letter to the diehards, which I appreciate. 

I enjoyed the kids and would be down for them taking the mantle.  The girl is a perfect Egon 

• 3 weeks later...

Movies recently watched

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings   3.5/4

Eternals  1.5/4

Power of the Dog 3.25/4.0 (although most reviewers are giving it 3.5 after a second watch, for quite obvious reasons if you have watched it)

West Side Story  3.5/4.0

Dune  3.25/4.0

Tick, Tick...Boom!!!  3.5/4.0 (highly-recommended if you like musicals or Andrew Garfield)

Licorice Pizza...  3.5/4.0  mix Once Upon a Time in Hollywood's feel with a coming of age romance (25 year old woman with 15 year old "boy")  

Really liked this one a lot...especially the fact that the two leads are pretty much unknowns.

Others on the viewing list include some more GG nominees, like King Richard (Will Smith meets Richard Williams of Williams tennis playing sisters renown and aces the role, supposedly), Belfast, Being the Ricardos, A Hero (amazing Iranian director, also did A Separation)

Edited by caulfield12

• 3 weeks later...

There’s an episode of Star Trek The Next Generation called Shades of Grey. Riker gets his brain infected by things and must relive bad memories to kill them. It is generally agreed to be one of the worst 2 episodes of TNG.

This description is exceedingly relevant to the Matrix: Resurrection.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/23/2021 at 12:21 AM, caulfield12 said:

Free Guy was quite watchable, but those who hate Ryan Reynolds (or think a little of him goes a LONG way) might not find it to their liking.

Just finished watching it with my wife...it was much more entertaining than we were expecting.  Fun movie but we do like Ryan Reynolds.  As you suggested, if you don't like him you probably want to pass on it.

• 4 weeks later...

Have seen all the Best Pic nominations but Belfast and Coda.

Still can’t believe Don’t Look Up! made it, unless they simply wanted star power for possible awards ceremony in person.

Also watching:

Moonfall….surprisingly not terrible in a way only Emmerich can pull off

The Worst Person in the World   3.5/4   (Foreign language nominee)

A Hero  3.5/4   Should have been nominated, but Iranian director already has two Oscars

Anyone seen Jackass Forever?  Have to watch that, reviews nearly all positive…you know what you’re getting, like a trip to McDonald’s or Subway (well, except for Greg775 in Lawrence.)

• 2 weeks later...

Don't watch a lot of movies, especially having not been to a theater since COVID started.  But with football winding down, we did watch a few recently.

Ghostbusters Afterlife was fun.  Entertaining with plenty of nods to the original.

The Tender Bar was really good.  Nothing exciting, just a well done movie.  Easy to watch.

Candyman was decent.  Gory and scary in parts.  

20 hours ago, Iwritecode said:

That's actually a sequel and not a re-boot right? I remember watching the original when I was a teenager and couldn't quite follow the story line for some reason.

It is a sequel, and there's a few minutes of backstory referring to the original.

11 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Is there anyone else fed up with Ryan Reynolds and Channing Tatum (Dog) movies?

It almost makes me pine for Ryan Gosling, well, my wife at least doing that.

No, Reynolds can make as many movies as he likes.  Tatum is fun too

11 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Is there anyone else fed up with Ryan Reynolds and Channing Tatum (Dog) movies?

It almost makes me pine for Ryan Gosling, well, my wife at least doing that.

Weird to go after two of the most likable guys in Hollywood.

Was thinking about the following movie birthday treat for myself in May....since I have not seen the new Spiderman film yet, I am planning on having my wife and son joining me to watch on successive nights the following 7 films for a week of fun....Starting with the original Raimi Trilogy in order and then Andrew Garfield's Amazing 1 & 2 followed by No Way Home....I will finish on my birthday by heading back to the theater for the 1st time in a long time to check out Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness on the big screen,  My only concern about Dr Strange is that I have not seen Wandavision so hopefully I don't miss too many plot points there.  

14 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

Really liked the Batman,  but it easily could have chopped about a half hour and it would not have been noticeable.  They really nailed the detective aspect of Batman

I think I was about two hours in and said "This is a masterpiece, I think I might be enjoying this more than Dark Knight." 

Then there was another 45 minutes or so. I still really really liked it, it just lost some steam for me at the end (like a lot of Batman movies have quite frankly) 

But very few complaints about the film, they did a great job.