**Movies that we Watch** Thread

Brian

13 hours ago, Tony said:

I mean, the Twitter group "defending" Will Smith is just insane. And so is the rest of Hollywood for giving him a standing O for winning an Oscar moments later. 

It was a joke, from a legendary comedian. Will Smith had ZERO right to put his hands on him. 

But this is the world now.  Comedians aren’t allowed to make fun of our differences.  Yet somehow the assault-reaction is great!

25 minutes ago, ShoeLessRob said:

Chris Rock made a joke, poor taste yes, but Will Smith committed a crime and the fact he won an award after and went on a whole tangent about love etc. is hilarious. And I’m a big Will Smith fan. 

I think the thing he was saying about love was a justification of his action. He assaulted Chris Rock out of love for his family. That’s why he equated it to Richard Williams being crazy and acting the way he  did for his daughters.

Smith laughed at the joke. Then he got up and approached Rock on stage. The worst thing about the slap is there’s no way Rock could have expected it.

Edited by Middle Buffalo

I know Will Smith was trying to defend his wife...but that joke probably went over a lot of people's heads. It's a reference to a movie 25 years ago. Had he done nothing, I bet nobody would have said anything about it. Maybe an obscure article here or there. But because of his slap, everybody knows about Jada's alopecia, everybody knows that she slept with her son's friend, and he basically put a microscope on himself and his family. 

3 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

I didn't see it, but read the transcript.  The tone of the words sounded like "I need to be better than this" vs holier than thou type of a speech. 

In real time it seemed much more like an "I've been put on this earth to do God's work" speech than "I'm sorry for my actions and need to do better". 

19 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Anyone read if Chris Rock knew about her medical condition? 

TMZ said he did not know, I still have a hard time believing this isn't staged somehow. I mean, until the Oscars come out and ban him or do something its incredibly suspect to me. If this was for real, it was an assault on live TV and for nobody to do anything about it just is crazy to me. Maybe everyone is still in shock over this, I don't know.

Also want to add, holy shit learn how to take a joke. There is nothing worse than people who get offended by a comedian. I was at an Anthony Jeselnik show at a comedy club one time and there was a guy who stood up in the middle of the show and caused a scene because he was offended by a joke. Comedians make jokes, that's what they do.

Edited by T R U
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, T R U said:

TMZ said he did not know, I still have a hard time believing this isn't staged somehow. I mean, until the Oscars come out and ban him or do something its incredibly suspect to me. If this was for real, it was an assault on live TV and for nobody to do anything about it just is crazy to me. Maybe everyone is still in shock over this, I don't know.

Also want to add, holy shit learn how to take a joke. There is nothing worse than people who get offended by a comedian. I was at an Anthony Jeselnik show at a comedy club one time and there was a guy who stood up in the middle of the show and caused a scene because he was offended by a joke. Comedians make jokes, that's what they do.

It really does look fake even if it was real. Maybe it was like Bryce Harper throwing the bat but missing on purpose. Once the arm went back, he definitely could have landed a more solid blow if he wanted to. But yeah, Jada is a public person that talks about everything. She’s fair game whether they like it or not. He definitely didn’t cross a line of being cruel or anything like that. 

Edited by flavum
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Texsox said:

If Jada and Will walk out they win. No one to accept the best actor award and Chris Rock looks like mean spirited ass. 

Yeah, the slap looked weak. Maybe he's trying for GI Jane 3?

Its suspect for sure. I mean, its on a tape delay why would the most prestigious film industry award show leave that to be seen by everyone watching? They were able to censor the F-Bombs but they leave that slap in?

Its a work to get more buzz about the Oscars that have been floundering the past few years, im calling it. Until something is done to prove otherwise, this is all actors acting to me.

16 minutes ago, T R U said:

Its suspect for sure. I mean, its on a tape delay why would the most prestigious film industry award show leave that to be seen by everyone watching? They were able to censor the F-Bombs but they leave that slap in?

Its a work to get more buzz about the Oscars that have been floundering the past few years, im calling it. Until something is done to prove otherwise, this is all actors acting to me.

Here is why the "staged" argument doesn't make sense to me. 

Why do Chris Rock and Will Smith agree to it? What is the benefit they get out of it? It's not like either are in desperate need for PR. This is going to follow both of them for years. 

If it was staged, what is the conversation Chris Rock and Will Smith have? How does it make sense for Chris Rock to be a part of it? How does it make sense for Will Smith to be a part of it? That's where the "staged" argument breaks down for me. Neither have any motive to be part of this "staged" event. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Tony said:

Why do Chris Rock and Will Smith agree to it? What is the benefit they get out of it? It's not like either are in desperate need for PR. This is going to follow both of them for years. 

If it was staged, what is the conversation Chris Rock and Will Smith have? How does it make sense for Chris Rock to be a part of it? How does it make sense for Will Smith to be a part of it? That's where the "staged" argument breaks down for me. Neither have any motive to be part of this "staged" event. 

This.  It's a bad look for all parties involved (much worse for Smith).  There's nothing to gain.

1 hour ago, Tony said:

Also, consider Chris Rock is NOT a good actor. He was pretty thrown off the rest of the time he was up there. Pretty sure this was not planned or fake.

9 minutes ago, Middle Buffalo said:

Also, consider Chris Rock is NOT a good actor. He was pretty thrown off the rest of the time he was up there. Pretty sure this was not planned or fake.

I thought the opposite - like - he was thrown off for a bit - but his reaction was too much of a keep rolling which just seemed so unreal. Like if someone got up on stage and hit me - I am fairly certain I would have walked off (I'm not a fighter) and just de-escalated it that way but i certainly wouldn't have jumped right back into it and been as unfazed as he was (other than the random - wow or whatever he said).  

2 hours ago, Spumoni said:

This.  It's a bad look for all parties involved (much worse for Smith).  There's nothing to gain.

In fact, Will Smith was the favorite to win for Best Actor coming into the night, the first time he has won the award. Literally the highest award you can win as an actor. And NO ONE is talking about him winning or his performance, instead it’s about him slapping a comedian over a joke. 

Why in the hell would Will Smith want that? What is the “deal” they worked out for this to all make sense. You explain that to me, otherwise the whole “staged” theory falls apart. 

I'm so jaded by today's world. I assume there were hours of meetings with his lawyers, advisors, and writers calculating his response. I have zero reason to believe that my impression is true, but I just see celebrities as calculating their media presence. It's unfair to everyone involved.

Watched CODA last night, very solid film.

If you don't believe it should have won Best Film, variety.com's Owen Gleiberman has a really insightful article on it up now.

The one thing NOBODY is talking about because of Smith/Rock is how Regina Hall was basically throwing herself at "handsome young studs" as a now single woman, almost groping people on stage.  Were that a male actor, well, he would already be cancelled out of existence.  I guess it is what it is.