**Movies that we Watch** Thread

Brian

Watched CODA last night, very solid film.

If you don't believe it should have won Best Film, variety.com's Owen Gleiberman has a really insightful article on it up now.

The one thing NOBODY is talking about because of Smith/Rock is how Regina Hall was basically throwing herself at "handsome young studs" as a now single woman, almost groping people on stage.  Were that a male actor, well, he would already be cancelled out of existence.  I guess it is what it is.

2 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

I thought the opposite - like - he was thrown off for a bit - but his reaction was too much of a keep rolling which just seemed so unreal. Like if someone got up on stage and hit me - I am fairly certain I would have walked off (I'm not a fighter) and just de-escalated it that way but i certainly wouldn't have jumped right back into it and been as unfazed as he was (other than the random - wow or whatever he said).  

The whole thing was just very weird, still waiting for the academy to do something before I buy this fully

On 3/27/2022 at 10:35 PM, Balta1701 said:

Chris Rock made a joke about his wife being bald (said she’d be in GI Jane 2). She has no hair because she has alopecia, so he was literally making fun of her disability. 

Her "disability" is hair loss. Something most men eventually suffer from, some of them far younger than she did. It's less common in women but let's not pretend like she's dying or challenged in any way.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Her "disability" is hair loss. Something most men eventually suffer from, some of them far younger than she did. It's less common in women but let's not pretend like she's dying or challenged in any way.

Right? My fiancé something similar too and asked if she’s so sensitive about it, how is she not wearing a wig?

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/8/2022 at 6:19 AM, Kyyle23 said:

Really liked the Batman,  but it easily could have chopped about a half hour and it would not have been noticeable.  They really nailed the detective aspect of Batman

I generally don’t like superhero movies because I can’t buy into the special effects,  but The Batman was good. Agree they could have chopped around 30 minutes off and not missed anything.

• 1 month later...

It was much better than the original…except the soundtrack.

It was fan service like saying goodbye to Luke and Leia, but seamlessly fit into the narrative.

With Glenn Powell as Hangman/Iceman (he lost the headline role to Teller and was heartbroken for days but actually stood out more in the end…the story of how Cruise insisted fitting a part in for him is pretty darned cool), you pretty much have the exact same script from 1986 except for an anonymous/ubiquitous enemy and modern era jet fighters…

By the way, each F-18 cost $11 million to rent and Cruise, despite his pilot’s license, never was allowed to touch the controls.  And all the Top Gun cadets/actors had to go through G force training and numerous sorties to get the real feel of flying to make things as realistic as possible.

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

It was much better than the original…except the soundtrack.

It was fan service like saying goodbye to Luke and Leia, but seamlessly fit into the narrative.

With Glenn Powell as Hangman/Iceman (he lost the headline role to Teller and was heartbroken for days but actually stood out more in the end…the story of how Cruise insisted fitting a part in for him is pretty darned cool), you pretty much have the exact same script from 1986 except for an anonymous/ubiquitous enemy and modern era jet fighters…

By the way, each F-18 cost $11 million to rent and Cruise, despite his pilot’s license, never was allowed to touch the controls.  And all the Top Gun cadets/actors had to go through G force training and numerous sorties to get the real feel of flying to make things as realistic as possible.

The original enemy was anonymous too ( yes they were flying MiGs but it was never called out if it was Soviet Union)

7 hours ago, bmags said:

The original enemy was anonymous too ( yes they were flying MiGs but it was never called out if it was Soviet Union)

https://www.mlb.com/twins/tickets/specials/top-gun

When I watched this one I thought they referred to Iran but realized I must have misheard…and then is there coastline with mountains/snow that close to the water…so don’t think so.  Should have used China, haha, like Spider-Man with the Statue of Liberty featured, it was never going to be shown here in a million years the way things are trending politically.

https://taskandpurpose.com/entertainment/top-gun-enemy-aircraft/

“Based on the timing the of the script-writing process and Top Gun’s actual release, the go-to assumption is that the MiG-28 is a Soviet fighter. However, the markings on the fictional MiG-28 aren’t Soviet. The MiG-28 in the film has a single red star surrounded by a yellow circle on their tail as their only marking, while Soviet aircraft traditionally had a white trim to their red star (just to cover my bases, the North Korean Air Force uses a blue trim). However, one country does, in fact, use yellow trim on their red star insignia: China.

That the enemy was never officially established in Proser's early draft or Jack Epps Jr's final script. This was likely intentional: villainous governments in the movies are routinelyleftvague as to not piss off their real-world counterparts, with the exception of North Korea, possibly because North Korea doesn’t have a strong market for movies or video games. Indeed, the video game “Homeland” and the Red Dawn rebootfilm, both of which involve a North Korean invasion of the U.S., made course corrections in production to keep from angering the Chinese government.”

Saw it twice in theaters already (wasn't able to catch it in IMAX the first time).  As someone who caught the original somewhat more recently and found it kinda corny (a "good" bad movie, if you will), I thought the new one was excellent and one of the better movies I've seen in the theaters in a long time.

I watched Norm McDonald’s last “stand up” special last night. It was not very good. I’m kind of sad someone didn’t just take some of the highlights from it and make a documentary about him. I only laughed a few times in the hour.

If Norm did the same material in a comedy club, he could have made it work, but in a solo recording without an audience, most of it just came off flat.

There was a 30 minute round table after the special where Letterman, Chappelle, Molly Shannon, Conan, Sandler, and Spade talked about the special and their history with Norm. That was pretty good.

• Like 1

Ranking the movies I've seen in theaters in 2022:

1. Top Gun

2. The Batman

3. Everything Everywhere All At Once

4. Spiderman: No Way Home

5. Scream 5

6. Jackass Forever

7. X

Top Gun was one of the more memorable movie theater experiences of my lifetime. Great movie. If you like movies even a little bit, go see this in theaters.

• 2 weeks later...

Just watched "Vice" on Netflix. The Adam McKay film about Dick Cheney, starring Christian Bale.

Bale crushed the role, as usual. He was unrecognizable, forgot it was even him while watching.  The movie was mostly factual but definitely took some liberties and had some cartoonish portrayals, George W. and Rumsfeld to name a couple. Solid watch though.

I just rewatched American Beauty for the first time in many years.

After some googling, I'm surprised to find that many critics think this movie stinks. There seems to be a perception that it was overly-loved in 1999 and is actually a bad movie.

I personally still think it holds up. I was only 8 years old when it released so I don't really remember the perception of it back then but I always thought this was a highly regarded movie. I think this movie does a good job of capturing that kind of stale late 90s suburban lifestyle. In retrospect, this point in time sort of seems like a turning point for American society. The 90s are generally looked at with happy nostalgia for many. A time period just before the internet and the crazy division of today. This movie shows the unhappiness, depression, and mental illness that were brewing under the surface for many people back then, just waiting to be unleashed en masse.

Are critics just lame now or do most people hate this movie now?

Edited by KrankinSox

On 7/3/2022 at 3:36 PM, Brian said:

“The Black Phone” is very good.

Looking forward to seeing this the next time I'm able to get to the theaters. I always get hyped for a highly regarded horror movie but more often than not lately, I've been disappointed by them. Not sure if the genre is just shit now or maybe my tastes have changed. Hope you're right about this one!

Edited by KrankinSox

On 6/10/2022 at 7:15 PM, caulfield12 said:

"Hustle" with Sandler as a Jerry Krause like scout/asst coach, TWolves' Edwards as the trash talking villain and Huancho Hernangomez a much better watch than the Sox...

Enjoyed this one. I'm iffy on Sandler in "serious" roles. I hated Uncut Gems so I was skeptical about this one but I gave it a shot and am glad I did. Nothing amazing but a solid movie, especially for sports fans. Worth a stream on Netflix if you've got time.

6 hours ago, KrankinSox said:

Looking forward to seeing this the next time I'm able to get to the theaters. I always get hyped for a highly regarded horror movie but more often than not lately, I've been disappointed by them. Not sure if the genre is just shit now or maybe my tastes have changed. Hope you're right about this one!

It’s not really horror. More suspense with a supernatural touch.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, KrankinSox said:

Just watched "Upgrade" (2018). 

Thought it was great. If you're a fan of Ex Machina, or similar movies, I'd suggest this. I rented on Amazon Prime for $3.99.

I just watched that on Netflix last week. Wasn't quite what I expected based on the description it had but still pretty good.

• Like 1