**Movies that we Watch** Thread

Brian

1 hour ago, TheBlackSox8 said:

The Genie, oh my god...hopefully that cgi gets better.  Jafar leaves a little to be desired, everthing else looks fine for live action.  The Genie looks like Will Smith died and came back as a ghost from the 90's Casper movie

Holy crap that genie looks awful 😂😂. Looks like a damn spoof movie

17 hours ago, TheBlackSox8 said:

The Genie, oh my god...hopefully that cgi gets better.  Jafar leaves a little to be desired, everthing else looks fine for live action.  The Genie looks like Will Smith died and came back as a ghost from the 90's Casper movie

I'm actually a big fan of Will Smith. I may be proven wrong but I just don't think he's the right actor for this character. Of course nobody will ever live up to Robin Williams portrayal.

5 minutes ago, GoSox05 said:

Happy Death Day 2U was really good.   If you liked the Scream movies, these movies are have a similar feel.  Slasher flick with some comedy.

I'm oddly excited to see it because I enjoyed the first one and didn't know they were making a 2nd one until I saw the trailer before "Halloween".

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, GoSox05 said:

Happy Death Day 2U was really good.   If you liked the Scream movies, these movies are have a similar feel.  Slasher flick with some comedy.

35 minutes ago, Brian said:

I'm oddly excited to see it because I enjoyed the first one and didn't know they were making a 2nd one until I saw the trailer before "Halloween".

22 minutes ago, GoSox05 said:

Yeah, both of these movies have been pleasant surprises. 

Happy Death Day was the first movie I saw with Moviepass (RIP) in 2017. Figured it was a good movie to test Moviepass on and figured it wouldn't be all that good but it was something to watch. Ended up being a sneaky good movie. I felt the second wasn't as good, but I still really enjoyed it. Kind of a mix of all genres in the second one adding a little bit of science fiction in it.

Edited by soxfan2014

7 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Happy Death Day was the first movie I saw with Moviepass (RIP) in 2017. Figured it was a good movie to test Moviepass on and figured it wouldn't be all that good but it was something to watch. Ended up being a sneaky good movie. I felt the second wasn't as good, but I still really enjoyed it. Kind of a mix of all genres in the second one adding a little bit of science fiction in it.

Ha! Same! And I ditched my Moviepass as well. Going to probably sign up for AMC soon.

11 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Yeah, the second one had a little science fiction.  I felt like they were kinda going for a Back to the Future vibe. 

4 minutes ago, Brian said:

Ha! Same! And I ditched my Moviepass as well. Going to probably sign up for AMC soon.

Ha I used it up until my 1-year subscription deal was over in November (I think). I still took advantage of it by going to the AMC in Naperville with one of my buddies who lives out that way. They don't have select seating yet so it was really easy to get away with. Select a ticket for the one movie they had a showing for (usually some movie I did not want to see anyway) and then just walk into the movie I wanted to see. Don't think the 17/18 year old employees on their phones really cared. And no theater really should since they were making the same amount off the ticket anyway.

24 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Ha I used it up until my 1-year subscription deal was over in November (I think). I still took advantage of it by going to the AMC in Naperville with one of my buddies who lives out that way. They don't have select seating yet so it was really easy to get away with. Select a ticket for the one movie they had a showing for (usually some movie I did not want to see anyway) and then just walk into the movie I wanted to see. Don't think the 17/18 year old employees on their phones really cared. And no theater really should since they were making the same amount off the ticket anyway.

I should've done that. Damn. The selection was horrible the last couple of months of my subscription. I didn't complain too much because I more than got my money's worth out of my year.

2 minutes ago, Brian said:

I should've done that. Damn. The selection was horrible the last couple of months of my subscription. I didn't complain too much because I more than got my money's worth out of my year.

Same. Probably saw about 30 movies in the 13 months I had it. I think I paid $10 the first month and then that $90 (or whatever) for the year came out. And I too barely went the last few months of my yearly subscription. Just a few movies I wanted to see that I was able to take advantage of with by selecting some shit movie I didn't want to see. When I saw the new Halloween movie, I think I selected some chick flick that was out at the time lol and it was just me who went up to the counter so it looked a bit creepy lol

Watched three movies over the weekend.

The Grinch - 3.5 out of 5 stars - Clever re-re-telling of the Holiday classic. Benedict Cumberbatch has a solid American accent. They filled in the story holes with clever vignettes and scenes. Worth a watch.

Widows - 3 out of 5 stars - Steve McQueen film. Kind of thin in the plot. Movie was decent but no better than an old CSI or pay TV series episode about Chicago.

Venom - 3.5 out of 5 stars - Better than expected - works without Spider-Man. Tom Hardy does a really good job as Eddie and Venom. Worth a re-watch, but not at a Deadpool or a MCU film level.

Man, this thread makes me feel like I live under a rock.

Happy Death Day? Alita: Battle Angel? Aladdin and Pet Semetary remakes? I know nothing about any of these.

I have heard about Bird Box. Doesn’t interest me in the least. Monsters can kill you if you see them so our protagonist wanders the landscape wearing a blindfold? Yeah, whatever.

I did in the last few months see Aquaman and Operation Finale in theaters. Mega enjoyed both, and I don’t give a shit about the Oscars, but OF should have at least been considered. It was an excellent entry in a genre I love, but which has had some recent stinkers (Entebbe- worst movie I’ve ever seen, Dunkirk- why tell that story in some goofball non-chronological fashion, and I feel like there was one other historical epic recently which was so bad I totally forgot it).

Would like to watch They Shall Never Grow Old. Colorized, voice-overed, real WW1 footage? Yes, please.

13 hours ago, knightni said:

Watched three movies over the weekend.

The Grinch - 3.5 out of 5 stars - Clever re-re-telling of the Holiday classic. Benedict Cumberbatch has a solid American accent. They filled in the story holes with clever vignettes and scenes. Worth a watch.

Widows - 3 out of 5 stars - Steve McQueen film. Kind of thin in the plot. Movie was decent but no better than an old CSI or pay TV series episode about Chicago.

Venom - 3.5 out of 5 stars - Better than expected - works without Spider-Man. Tom Hardy does a really good job as Eddie and Venom. Worth a re-watch, but not at a Deadpool or a MCU film level.

Seems like you're being hard on Widows....definitely a 3.5/5, not a must-watch (and god knows I keep coming across Liam Neeson too often these days), but the female protagonists made it worth it, similar but grittier version of the new Ocean's 8 movie.

Agree 100% on Venom...that movie was a HUGE hit here in China, even moreso than Aquaman, which also made a boatload of money.  They really love their Marvel and DC movies here, compared to Star Wars.

I expect that How To Train Your Dragon 3 will be the next huge hit that sustains itself for roughly a month or 6 weeks in the cineplex.

Hope everyone can get the opportunity to check out ALITA in 3D/IMAX, too.

Lego Movie 2 was a bit of disappointment, doesn't have the spark or imagination as the first film...although it does have a Ruth Bader Ginsburg (of all people) cameo.  Needed Morgan Freeman and more Will Ferrell (much better villain).

I was so excited to see Widows but I was so bored throughout. I bArely remember anything about it outside a couple of twists and the hot blonde widow. Smh 

also saw Free Solo which was pretty incredible. The way they shot the last climb was a thing to see. Also interesting to see the technique of mountain climbing and other things.

Edited by Brian

Ali and Regina King the first two big Oscars of the Night, for supporting categories.

Btw, for those of you who haven't seen it, the Japanese film Shoplifters (one of the five nominees) is excellent.  That director has 3 other similar films in his filmography, just started watching Nobody Knows, the story of a single mother in Osaka who brought 2 of her 4 kids (all from different fathers) into her apartment in a suitcase because there was only supposed to be one (was hiding them), and wouldn't let them go outside or go to school...then basically abandoned them for a man to fend by themselves.

Kind of the other side of Japan we never see...much like poverty in America.

Green Book, despite all the debates engulfing that film...somehow wins Best Picture.  I don't know, for my money, HIDDEN FIGURES was 10X the movie and didn't win, but this was a really strange year again with many people unfamiliar with quite a few of the films other than BP and A Star Is Born.

GB was basically the compromise choice between Roma on one hand (which one foreign film, and was seen by about as many viewers as The Artist), and Black Panther on the other.

Olivia Colman (The Favourite) and Rami Malek (Bohemian Rhapsody) both won...still haven't watched Bohemian, for some reason. 

Spike Lee also won his first "real" Oscar for Screenplay on Black KKKlansman.

• Brian changed the title to **Movies that we Watch** Thread