**Movies that we Watch** Thread

Brian

Knives Out is definitely worth checking out, Ana de Armas was the star of the show.  Daniel Craig seemed like he was really having fun for the first time in ages as an actor, since taking the Bond role.

Excellent cast is the strength of this one...what those Agatha Christie murder mysteries endeavored to be.  Would never imagine a Star Wars director could pull off such a completely different genre of film so well.

Edited by caulfield12

Agreed on “Knives Out”. 

Loved “JoJo Rabbit” as well.

Last day off today so going to see “Queen & Slim”.

"Queen & Slim" was just ok. Rather boring TBH. I get the theme but maybe it just wasnt meant for me.

Edited by Brian

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Uncut Gems 3.25

Dolemite 3.5

1917  3.75

Jojo Rabbit 3.5

Marriage Story 3.5 (but have to be in the right mood to watch it)

The Farewell  3.75

Six Underground  2.75  (better than I expected, since it’s Michael Bay)

The Two Popes   3.25

Little Women   3.0

Parasite got robbed at the Golden Globes.  And if you want to see George McKay (1917) at his best, try Captain Fantastic or watch it again.

Fighting With My Family is one of the best movies of the year, despite the WWE backdrop and predictable real-life storyline.

Unfortunately, the Oscars will never recognize it.

Japanese animation film Weathering With You continues the successful run of Shinkai, follow-up to “Your Name,” which became a phenomenon in Asia.   The next Miyazaki.

Disappointed in 1917.  I thought the movie was produced well and the story was good BUT

Howww do you make a movie about WWI and have next to 0 trench warfare?  WWI was absolutely gruesome and gets no love in the movies.  I have no idea where the Saving Private Ryan comparissons were coming from. 

1 hour ago, BackDoorBreach said:

Disappointed in 1917.  I thought the movie was produced well and the story was good BUT

Howww do you make a movie about WWI and have next to 0 trench warfare?  WWI was absolutely gruesome and gets no love in the movies.  I have no idea where the Saving Private Ryan comparissons were coming from. 

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7914416/
It has as much to do with Dunkirk or Saving Private Ryan as this (in)famous one cut zombie film from Japan.

I enjoyed it, but I wouldn’t give it Best Picture.  Honestly, Fighting With My Family was a better film, in many ways...

21 minutes ago, bmags said:

Haven’t seen all of them, but sad for uncut gems / little women and happy for parasite.

Uncut Gems might be a little too gritty, although so is The Irishman.   Maybe they’re not fans of the ending.  They could have selected one more Best Picture nominee, it ranges from 8-10.

A bit tired of Greta Gerwig feeling she deserves the Oscar...LW was very good, but not great, although Ronan and Pugh deserved praise, as well as Laura Dern (two roles this year.)  Zellwegger should beat Ronan.  

Months ago, seemed like Jennifer Lopez would run away with supporting actress for Hustlers, but no nomination.    Movie came out too early.

Bombshell....Theron and Robbie, imo getting way too much love as well for a movie that would fit in well on the Lifetime monthly rotation  without three A-list actresses colliding.

21 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Uncut Gems might be a little too gritty, although so is The Irishman.   Maybe they’re not fans of the ending.  They could have selected one more Best Picture nominee, it ranges from 8-10.

A bit tired of Greta Gerwig feeling she deserves the Oscar...LW was very good, but not great, although Ronan and Pugh deserved praise, as well as Laura Dern (two roles this year.)  Zellwegger should beat Ronan.  

Months ago, seemed like Jennifer Lopez would run away with supporting actress for Hustlers, but no nomination.    Movie came out too early.

Bombshell....Theron and Robbie, imo getting way too much love as well for a movie that would fit in well on the Lifetime monthly rotation  without three A-list actresses colliding.

I just think Gems should have gotten Sandler an Oscar nom. It's not really a classic oscar best picture, I think it will hold up more than most though. This was a great year though, so much better than last.

I really appreciate, maybe more than most, when directors can take something that has been genred to death (the 19th century well off) and boxed into just focusing on all of the Victorian fetishes, and actually tap into the real concepts of the books in their contemporary period. The excitement/ambition/frustrations of little women just become "look how people used to live" and I think Gerwig got past that. Like, if anyone could actually make great gatsby more than "look at these dope parties and cool cars" they'd deserve a best director nom from me.

On 1/12/2020 at 1:09 AM, BackDoorBreach said:

I agree. It looked nice and had 2 good sequences but it didn't blow me away. When it ended I was like "Oh ok".

Also a lot of convenience and the Germans have terrible aim.

3 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Honest question. You direct a movie. An actress in it is up for supporting actress. An actress is up for lead actress. Also up for Best Adapted Screenplay. Oh yeah, also up for Best Picture.  You don't think that director should be at least nominated?

Does she feel she deserves to win? Haven't seen her say that anywhere.

2 hours ago, Brian said:

Honest question. You direct a movie. An actress in it is up for supporting actress. An actress is up for lead actress. Also up for Best Adapted Screenplay. Oh yeah, also up for Best Picture.  You don't think that director should be at least nominated?

Does she feel she deserves to win? Haven't seen her say that anywhere.

This is one of those things where it usually takes 2-3 “successful” movies to break through, whether that’s fair or not.

Obviously, that happened much more quickly for Bigelow on Hurt Locker.  Obviously, there’s still a bit of the good ‘ol boys club voting that always gets the Academy favorites in there, like Scorsese.

Honestly, The Irishman is the only nominated movie I haven’t watched and probably won’t unless it becomes Best Picture.   And I don’t think it can be 1917 when it wasn’t even as good as Dunkirk. 

3 hours ago, Brian said:

I agree. It looked nice and had 2 good sequences but it didn't blow me away. When it ended I was like "Oh ok".

Also a lot of convenience and the Germans have terrible aim.

Have quite a bit to get to, this makes me want to put 1917 on backburner.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/oscars-nominations-lack-diversity-major-144849001.html
Awkwafina really got robbed.  I know, worst name for an actress/comedian, but The Farewell is an excellent film and she totally plays against character.  Not shocked at all the grandmother in that film didn’t get any recognition either, the Academy loves stars (well, except for The Artist.)

Not convinced “Us” was quite good enough either, but the point still stands overall on the diversity issue with J-Lo getting passed over for current “it” girl Margot Robbie.

That said, there’s no simple solution to this problem that will satisfy PC and anti-PC sides of the argument.

14 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

This is one of those things where it usually takes 2-3 “successful” movies to break through, whether that’s fair or not.

Obviously, that happened much more quickly for Bigelow on Hurt Locker.  Obviously, there’s still a bit of the good ‘ol boys club voting that always gets the Academy favorites in there, like Scorsese.

Honestly, The Irishman is the only nominated movie I haven’t watched and probably won’t unless it becomes Best Picture.   And I don’t think it can be 1917 when it wasn’t even as good as Dunkirk. 

Sam Mendes won for his first movie, “American Beauty”. 
Hazanavicius won for The Artist, which I believe was his 2nd feature.

Chazelle won for La La Land. His 2nd feature.

Dances With Wolves was Costner’s first director credit.

Bradley Cooper was nominated just last year, and should’ve won, in his directorial debut.

Those are just off the top of my head.

Edited by Brian

3 hours ago, bmags said:

Have quite a bit to get to, this makes me want to put 1917 on backburner.

I’m just an idiot on a message board. Maybe you’ll like it more.

Between this and Dunkirk, down time for war movies.

3 minutes ago, Brian said:

I’m just an idiot on a message board. Maybe you’ll like it more.

Between this and Dunkirk, down time for war movies.

Eh, I have to really prioritize theatre movies with 2 kids. I’ll see it eventually.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Brian said:

Sam Mendes won for his first movie, “American Beauty”. 
Hazanavicius won for The Artist, which I believe was his 2nd feature.

Chazelle won for La La Land. His 2nd feature.

Dances With Wolves was Costner’s first director credit.

Those are just off the top of my head.

Yeah, whereas Bigelow started her career in the early 90's directing Keanu and Swayze in Point Break.

I do think actors (especially popular ones) who turn to directing have an inherent advantage getting noticed for their "multi-talented" abilities.

7 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Yeah, whereas Bigelow started her career in the early 90's directing Keanu and Swayze in Point Break.

I do think actors (especially popular ones) who turn to directing have an inherent advantage getting noticed for their "multi-talented" abilities.

So...Another point in Gerwigs favor then! 

• Like 1

• Brian changed the title to **Movies that we Watch** Thread