Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Brian

**Movies that we Watch** Thread

Recommended Posts

Yeah, much like 1917...that movie has to be seen in a theatre to be fully appreciated.

There was one I watched a long time ago, U-571, the speakers were turned up so loud it seemed like the depth charges were going to blow patrons out of the theatre, as well.  Watching on a phone or Ipad wouldn’t do it justice to feelings of fear/dread/trepidation one experienced, like you were a crew member of the German sub itself.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Completely random question. Use whatever criteria you wish. 

Which movie do you choose?

Back to the Future or Stand By Me?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Iwritecode said:

Completely random question. Use whatever criteria you wish. 

Which movie do you choose?

Back to the Future or Stand By Me?

Not really a bad option in the two, but Back to the Future.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Iwritecode said:

Completely random question. Use whatever criteria you wish. 

Which movie do you choose?

Back to the Future or Stand By Me?

It's Back to the Future in a landslide. No comparison. SBM is a nice movie, but cmon guys.

  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Brian said:

It's Back to the Future in a landslide. No comparison. SBM is a nice movie, but cmon guys.

This is the correct take. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is the unanswerable question for me. Along with The Karate Kid, Stand By Me and Back to the Future are my 3 most watched movies. 
 

if I had to choose between BTF and SBM, I think I’d go with Back to the Future. It’s easier to pick up at any point and ride to the finish. Karate Kid is right there for the same reason.
 

Stand By Me is great. I love the sentimentality of it. Stephen King writes kids so well. “I never had any friends later in like the ones I had when I was 12. Jesus, does anyone?” That line gets me every time. My group of friends when I was 11 & 12 played baseball, football, and Intellivision every day. We followed the Sox religiously - took the Archer express  to the games by ourselves. It was the summer of ‘83 through the end of ‘84. Then we just drifted apart one by one. But, I don’t think we’ll ever forget each other. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While working from home during the pandemic, I watch shows and movies all day and I am always looking for stuff to watch. You guys just inspired me to watch all 3 BTTF movies today. Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, soxfan2014 said:

While working from home during the pandemic, I watch shows and movies all day and I am always looking for stuff to watch. You guys just inspired me to watch all 3 BTTF movies today. Thanks.

I watched 1 and 2 on Sat night. Wanted to watch all 3 in a row but I am lame and was too tired to watch 3, so I did on Sunday.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My brother just started watching the old Bond movies and texted me that “every boomer whoever ejaculated over these movies should be shot and same with every woman that’s wanted to bang Sean Connery for the last 70 years.  This guy couldn’t lift 10 pounds over his head.”

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Middle Buffalo said:

This is the unanswerable question for me. Along with The Karate Kid, Stand By Me and Back to the Future are my 3 most watched movies. 
 

if I had to choose between BTF and SBM, I think I’d go with Back to the Future. It’s easier to pick up at any point and ride to the finish. Karate Kid is right there for the same reason.
 

Stand By Me is great. I love the sentimentality of it. Stephen King writes kids so well. “I never had any friends later in like the ones I had when I was 12. Jesus, does anyone?” That line gets me every time. My group of friends when I was 11 & 12 played baseball, football, and Intellivision every day. We followed the Sox religiously - took the Archer express  to the games by ourselves. It was the summer of ‘83 through the end of ‘84. Then we just drifted apart one by one. But, I don’t think we’ll ever forget each other. 

I'm a sucker for nostalgia type movies.

Read a quote one time that really hit me too.

“At some point in your childhood, you and your friends went outside to play together for the last time and nobody knew it”

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Iwritecode said:

I'm a sucker for nostalgia type movies.

Read a quote one time that really hit me too.

“At some point in your childhood, you and your friends went outside to play together for the last time and nobody knew it”

That’s great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Lovebirds was pretty good but far from Kumail’s best work...he’s better off not getting pigeon-holed playing the same character, such as The Big Sick and upcoming The Eternals.

 

The Vast of Night was like a low budget version of Super 8 but in many ways just as good.

Edited by caulfield12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/21/2020 at 12:35 AM, Jerksticks said:

My brother just started watching the old Bond movies and texted me that “every boomer whoever ejaculated over these movies should be shot and same with every woman that’s wanted to bang Sean Connery for the last 70 years.  This guy couldn’t lift 10 pounds over his head.”

Connery, Dalton, Brosnan...all pretty thin dudes.   Then Roger Moore was a wry humorist.   It wasn’t until the Matt Damon/Jason Bourne films that the physicality of the Bond flicks picked up to match up them with Daniel Craig.     

Edited by caulfield12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

Connery, Dalton, Brosnan...all pretty thin dudes.   Then Roger Moore was a wry humorist.   It wasn’t until the Matt Damon/Jason Bourne films that the physicality of the Bond flicks picked up to match up them with Daniel Craig.     

Sean Connery competed in Mr. Universe in 1953.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If anyone likes “The Trip” movies, trip to Greece is available for rental. I liked it much more than” ...Spain”.

still the same stuff, but nothing else like them so I never get bored. Very soothing honestly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Middle Buffalo said:

Sean Connery competed in Mr. Universe in 1953.

Sure, but if you look at those pics, it’s a huge difference between Schwarzenegger in the late 70’s and early 80’s.

The bulk just wasn’t there.  Looked more like a ripped swimmer than the later bodybuilding mold.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/15/2020 at 9:17 AM, Iwritecode said:

Completely random question. Use whatever criteria you wish. 

Which movie do you choose?

Back to the Future or Stand By Me?

Farris Bueller’s Day Off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is anyone looking forward to Tenet (is it tenent?)

I respect Nolan for creating original movies though I find them to be an incredible chore similar to someone reading a board game manual (but while seated in an exotic locale).

That said...he makes great trailers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, bmags said:

Is anyone looking forward to Tenet (is it tenent?)

I respect Nolan for creating original movies though I find them to be an incredible chore similar to someone reading a board game manual (but while seated in an exotic locale).

That said...he makes great trailers.

Feel the same way about Nolan. Loved Memento and the Batman movies, but everything since then just seems too convoluted and wonky and confusing. To the point I am not overly excited for Tenet. But I'm so desperate to get into a movie theatre, I'll be there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/15/2020 at 7:52 AM, bmags said:

Is anyone looking forward to Tenet (is it tenent?)

I respect Nolan for creating original movies though I find them to be an incredible chore similar to someone reading a board game manual (but while seated in an exotic locale).

That said...he makes great trailers.

100%
 

memento is one of my all time top 3 films.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/15/2020 at 10:09 AM, Brian said:

Feel the same way about Nolan. Loved Memento and the Batman movies, but everything since then just seems too convoluted and wonky and confusing. To the point I am not overly excited for Tenet. But I'm so desperate to get into a movie theatre, I'll be there.

I put a 10 pack of AMC movie passes in my wife's Christmas stocking last season and she has not had the chance to use any of them yet.  With rumors of AMC going out of business, i think she will be less picky about what we go see at the movies when they open back up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, wegner said:

I put a 10 pack of AMC movie passes in my wife's Christmas stocking last season and she has not had the chance to use any of them yet.  With rumors of AMC going out of business, i think she will be less picky about what we go see at the movies when they open back up.

Oof.

Who knows how movie chains will succeed now. Not gonna have sell outs for awhile.

I love going to the theatre but not sure I will be for awhile now. Unless it’s something I really want to see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×