2019 Catch-All

bmags

Alex Trebek has been diagnosed with Pancreatic cancer. Godspeed Alex. :(if he passes it would be sad as my dad and I have watched Jeopardy daily for 25 years. The is first time in my life I legit felt sad when a celebrity I had never met in person got news like this.

Edited by Jack Parkman

7 minutes ago, knightni said:

Stage Four pancreatic cancer doesn't allow for a large window.

He may have mere months to live.

Yeah, especially at that age.

A friend of our family got it when he was in his late 20s. He lasted a few years but it was rough. The guy was a star athlete and just withered away. Terrible disease.

• 2 weeks later...

You need soil temps in the 50s, even better in the 60s. I always paid attention to the night time lows and when they would be in the high  40s I'd get some seed down. Soil prep is really the key. Are you filling in bare spots or seeding an entire lawn?

On 3/2/2019 at 9:54 AM, southsider2k5 said:

The balcony can be rough.  Don't sit on the sides or past the first few rows and you should be OK.  If you are too far back, the front of the stage can get cut out of view.  What I would do is try to find  Wednesday afternoon show if you can.

Also if you are able to go on a day's notice, download the app and enter the lottery daily.  Those tickets are only $10 and outstanding seats.

Ended up buying mezzanine seats to make sure we can see everything and it worked out well. Did the Sunday matinee cause of work/child care constraints but you are right about the Wednesday afternoon if you can, there were lower level tickets for under $100 when I looked.

What a great show though. And the entire thing was singing. The talent it takes to write something like that out of thin air just blows my mind.

2 minutes ago, LittleHurt05 said:

Ended up buying mezzanine seats to make sure we can see everything and it worked out well. Did the Sunday matinee cause of work/child care constraints but you are right about the Wednesday afternoon if you can, there were lower level tickets for under $100 when I looked.

What a great show though. And the entire thing was singing. The talent it takes to write something like that out of thin air just blows my mind.

The funny thing is that I bought tickets for the wife the 1st time, and wasn't really interested in it myself.  I had only heard the soundtrack on the way into Chicago for the show.

Then, I saw it. I have been obsessed ever since.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/3/2019 at 7:44 AM, Texsox said:

You need soil temps in the 50s, even better in the 60s. I always paid attention to the night time lows and when they would be in the high  40s I'd get some seed down. Soil prep is really the key. Are you filling in bare spots or seeding an entire lawn?

I had a new water line put in and it tore up part of the lawn. I ended up putting seed down a few weeks ago just before the heavy rain. Really sprouted up nicely last week.

• Like 1

This might qualify as political and if so I apologize, but it's very interesting to me.

This guy, Derek (Roland) Black is my TA in a class on the history of white supremacy right now. I've been interacting with him for weeks and only just learned that he is David Duke's godson, a former white nationalist and presumed future leader of the KKK, who saw the light so to speak a few years ago and now speaks out against the very tenets he was brought up with.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/27/2019 at 7:50 PM, Jack Parkman said:

So, I finally took the plunge and got my foot operation after dealing with chronic pain since I was 12. Been contemplating surgery for a decade but couldn't find a dr I trusted until now. 

What was causing the pain? I've had pain in my foot the past couple of years and all that was recommended are orthotics. I play baseball in the summer and I'm realing the orthotics are not very helpful when it comes to running.

1 hour ago, soxfan2014 said:

What was causing the pain? I've had pain in my foot the past couple of years and all that was recommended are orthotics. I play baseball in the summer and I'm realing the orthotics are not very helpful when it comes to running.

I had tried everything. The issue was I was born with my Achilles tendon and Gastrocnemius tendon too tight that orthotics weren't able to do the job. I had been to about 20-25 podiatrists and orthopedic surgeons over 20 years and this was the first time I actually got a fucking explanation. My feet pronate and are flat, and the pain has been so severe for so long. It has been affecting my ability to hold a job so it had to be done. Orthotics are supposed to push your foot up into the correct position and my tendons weren't flexible enough to do that. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

7 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I had tried everything. The issue was I was born with my Achilles tendon and Gastrocnemius tendon too tight that orthotics weren't able to do the job. I had been to about 20-25 podiatrists and orthopedic surgeons over 20 years and this was the first time I actually got a fucking explanation. My feet pronate and are flat, and the pain has been so severe for so long. It has been affecting my ability to hold a job so it had to be done. Orthotics are supposed to push your foot up into the correct position and my tendons weren't flexible enough to do that. 

Yeah I hear ya. The pain is so bad (had our first game yesterday) to the point where I kinda want to back out for the season. But joining a new team and dragging a few of my friends into it is kinda making me feel like I need to stay.

• 2 weeks later...

Unbelievable - I still get email updates from Classmates.com. One of the early social media sites.

I never paid for it, but I added my name and school info to it 15 years ago. Every few months I get a random email from it saying someone visited my profile. I can't image anyone is still going to there. They must only be operating because people signed up for auto pay and never stopped.

• knightni locked and unpinned this topic