Levine: Sox won't offer more than 7 years for either player

bmags

20 minutes ago, bmags said:

Not buying this for one minute. Hahn has talk about this years free agency approach with these big guys as revolutionary and more creative for the league and the White Sox. I mean, sure, you could show some creativity in a 7 year deal, but I would expect the levels of creativity he talked about to be approached in 10+ year offers.

Edited by Ross Gload Fan
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

My take, Passan (who has legit sources and has been right all off season) reports : Sox willing to go 10+ years.

I believe the White Sox did not want this info out because they did not want to lose leverage so they quickly fed Bruce the 7 year info.

Edited by Orlando
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Yeah, can't be true. You don't get in the position that Hahn and co. are in and expect to sign these guys to contracts with max 7 years when acknowledging historical trends of similar free agent signings. The entire off-season is hinging on these two whales for the White Sox. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Orlando said:

My take, Passan (who has legit sources and has been right all off season) reports : Sox willing to go 10+ years.

I believe the White Sox did not want this info out because they did not want to lose leverage so they quickly feed Bruce the 7 year info.

Passan had a lot wrong as far as teams meeting with Harper in Las Vegas. There was some right in there as well. 

Every single one of these guys had had some wrong. 

It would seem strange the Sox wouldn't offer 10 years, but had no problem with 7. 

Edited by Dick Allen

6 minutes ago, fathom said:

On the bright side, I don't know why the Sox would leak this to Bruce if it was true.  That's why the Guff confirmation is strange to me.

i feel like levine and guff would have same sources, and guff could have asked and they gave same info.

Could be some dumb fun stuff like "we won't give an offer of more than 7 years...a contract on the other hand." *nods suggestingly*

Just now, fathom said:

This goes against how I usually feel, but for some reason this being leaked makes me feel better about their chances.

Me too, and i second ptatc's notion that this means things are actually getting closer.

1 minute ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

So other bidders don't see the White Sox as a viable threat and keep their offers down? 7 years much easier to beat than 10+

So you either believe Bruce Levine or the agent sitting across from you telling you he has 10 years on teh table.  Fun.