Levine: Sox won't offer more than 7 years for either player

bmags

I don't believe this at all.  This goes against everything else we've heard, especially the Sox feeling really good about landing one of them.  Unless, however, these purported 7 year deals are for a shit-load per year.  Something like 7/$300M.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, South Side Fireworks Man said:

As I posted in the other thread, this is fine as long as it's 350M to 400M for 7 years.  That should be enough to land them both.  Otherwise, the Sox are just screwing around with their 7 year maximum, assuming this is true.

50-57M a year? You're out of your mind if you think the Sox would do that for either guy. I could see 7/280, max.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

So you either believe Bruce Levine or the agent sitting across from you telling you he has 10 years on teh table.  Fun.

Seems desperate I know but what's the harm in it from the WS perspective? At least gives their competitors something to think about and whether or not to call the agents' bluff.

I will say 7 puts them at age 33 which is where you would expect the big drop off. But the sox being that prescriptive about years instead of dollars would be infuriating*

* I do not find this leak believable, though this is the first leak that i do believe is strategic (i.e. machado following/unfollowing yes network was not a thing)

If i can say one thing for Bruce's suggestion here, it's that our strength may lie in yearly $ amount we can offer over other teams. Total # years you could see jerry  being tighter on if there is indeed an area he would be tighter on than others, lets say.

But in addition to all that, Bruce is ripe for the planting of info, 24 / 7

Passan didn't cite a source.

Here's the quote:

The Phillies and White Sox are the other two teams known to be willing to guarantee Harper the decade-plus-long deal he and Machado, each 26 years old, are seeking. Harper's willingness to wait for a contract he deems suitable is real, according to a source who said he could see Harper's free agency stretching into February.

So the only part attributed to a source is that Harper will wait until February for the right deal. The first sentence is based on assumed accuracy in previous reports.

Why would the Sox bother responding to that? It's not different than any information that came out over the last few weeks.

"You see Manny, if you sign too long of a deal, your production likely won't warrant the money owed in the final years of your deal and you could get passed around the league like a hot potato. You should really consider our 7 year offer.  We acquired your brother-in-law for essentially nothing, just to help demonstrate this point".  

Edited by GREEDY

4 minutes ago, GREEDY said:

"You see Manny, if you sign too long of a deal, your production likely won't warrant the money owed in the final years of your deal and you could get passed around the league like a hot potato. You should really consider our 7 year offer.  We acquired your brother-in-law for essentially nothing, just to help demonstrate this point".  

"good point, i'd like a no trade clause"

19 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

I don't believe this at all.  This goes against everything else we've heard, especially the Sox feeling really good about landing one of them.  Unless, however, these purported 7 year deals are for a shit-load per year.  Something like 7/$300M.

I could see 7/ $300M.  

1-4: $50M

5: $40M

OPT OUT

Year 6-7: $30M 

I think the decision becomes in the Yankees are offering something like 4 years/$200M if the extra 3 years and $100M guarantee is worth it to him to not be a Yankee.  Especially if he thinks he'll opt out after year 5, its only 1 year $40M.  

FWIW, if this was true and the white Sox were more interested in playing these sorts games than putting together serious bids, that’s the sort of thing that should bring the last 3 people who care about the white Sox out with pitchforks and torches after Rick Hahn. 

After that two more of them should give up, leaving the last white Sox fan to turn out the lights when they leave.

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

FWIW, if this was true and the white Sox were more interested in playing these sorts games than putting together serious bids, that’s the sort of thing that should bring the last 3 people who care about the white Sox out with pitchforks and torches after Rick Hahn. 

After that two more of them should give up, leaving the last white Sox fan to turn out the lights when they leave.

and would make acquiring Yonder even more of an insane acquisition

1 minute ago, jasonxctf said:

Bobby Bonilla the hell out of these offers. 7 years $280 plus a $5 mil/yr kicker for the rest of their lives. 

And joint ownership of the Hawkmobile, a car designed to honor Hawk that will drive around the concourse non-stop during games.

This damn free agency wait is driving me insane.

• Like 1