Levine: Sox won't offer more than 7 years for either player

bmags

18 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Reading between the lines, yes. It seems that the top bids are much lower in years and dollars than we all expected. 

So that means the Sox should be landing a Harpchado.  The front office saw the predictions.  They heard the rumblings.  The likely even heard the asking price.  And they continued to say they were in.  Repeatedly.  If prices are "much lower in years and dollars" this should be a slam dunk.  

11 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

The 2 highest wAR  full time 2B last season where Merrifield and Altuve. One hit 12 homers, the other 13. This kid is a clever hitter who is only going to get stronger. And his defense is described as golf glove quality. Plus, he knows how to run the bases, something the White Sox have difficulty teaching.  I think people put too much stock in his numbers last year. He had a lot going on including recovering from a hand injury.

Hawk would be proud

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

I don't even think a player like that would even be in the MVP conversation, but whatever. Above average to star, yes. MVP, not even close.

Go look at what Altuve did to win MVP, just as a reminder. 

What I hope Madrigal becomes is a .320 annual hitter, with 30-40 2B 5-10 3B and 5-10 HR with 25-30 SB. 

In any event, he has to get a LOT of doubles, triples and steals if he's not hitting HRs and not hitting .320. 

If Madrigal hits .290 annually with a .330 OBP with 25 2B, 5-8 3B and 25 SB, I don't think baseball would value him that much, maybe league average average at best. Power is valued very highly right now. You do realize that the guy I mentioned above is basically Alexei Ramirez without the power and with a  few more hits, steals and walks? The only thing Madrigal has going for him is his position in this case. 

If Madrigal’s defense is as good as advertised, your latter scenario is easily an above average player. And Alexei was a 4 WAR SS in his prime so a slightly better Alexei would be a great outcome.

9 minutes ago, GREEDY said:

So that means the Sox should be landing a Harpchado.  The front office saw the predictions.  They heard the rumblings.  The likely even heard the asking price.  And they continued to say they were in.  Repeatedly.  If prices are "much lower in years and dollars" this should be a slam dunk.  

Could also mean that each one is going to go to the place they want to vote because the offers aren't that high. 

Just now, GreenSox said:

Unless one believes Bruce who claims 10 year and high AAV offers.

None of what Bruuuuuuce is reporting makes any sense. If what he said was even remotely close to fact, the Sox wouldn't even have a seat at the table, let alone be a finalist for either player's services. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, KiwiSox said:

I know its not the Sox fault at all but the absolutely glacial pace at which these pursuits have moved is ridiculous. Is anyone really expecting anything done before mid-February at this rate? 

I don't but most everyone else does. I don't think either Harper or Machado signs until after Super Bowl Sunday. 

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

Nothing. A lot of players didn't sign until the end of February last year. 

Honestly, there's a scenario I could see one of them stretching into the regular season. It all depends when the White Sox stop bidding or hit the absolutely ceiling on what they are willing to offer. Baseball's off-season has turned into a total mess.

Just now, KiwiSox said:

Honestly, there's a scenario I could see one of them stretching into the regular season. It all depends when the White Sox stop bidding or hit the absolutely ceiling on what they are willing to offer. Baseball's off-season has turned into a total mess.

Machado isn’t going to be that much longer IMO.  I honestly think we’ll know where he’s going by the end of next week.  Harper could be a different story.

8 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

None of what Bruuuuuuce is reporting makes any sense. If what he said was even remotely close to fact, the Sox wouldn't even have a seat at the table, let alone be a finalist for either player's services. 

How do you know they really have a seat at the table, and their lack of payroll commitment isn’t just something being used by Boras? He clearly was playing on the White Sox Interest when he claimed Harper was studying farm systems. Heyman is usually the guy Boras uses. So when he starts tweeting a lot about this, you know something will start to happen.

Until then, and even then, it will probably be hard to determine the truth until someone signs. It will be interesting to see what the final contacts look like.

6 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

He either has to be, bids are much lower than thought, or the Sox put on one helluva pitch.

I don’t mind what he’s saying because I get that there are reasons for saying certain things. 

My problem is evidenced by your conclusion - it’s basically impossible to reconcile what he’s actually saying.

I suspect the winning offers will be lower than anticipated. What I don’t believe is that the deals will be for less than 8 years, minimum, and more likely to be 10. If one of these guys signs a 7 year deal, you are basically signing him to a 3-4 year deal with insurance in the case that some catastrophic injury or massive drop off in performance occurs. 

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Machado isn’t going to be that much longer IMO.  I honestly think we’ll know where he’s going by the end of next week.  Harper could be a different story.

I suspect neither Harper or Machado want to be the first ones to sign. Once one option is gone both the Sox and Phillies will get mega desperate. The fact that they both are free agents is what is going to drag this maybe until April, its created a crazy dynamic.

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

How do you know they really have a seat at the table, and their lack of payroll commitment isn’t just something being used by Boras? He clearly was playing on the White Sox Interest when he claimed Harper was studying farm systems. Heyman is usually the guy Boras uses. So when he starts tweeting a lot about this, you know something will start to happen.

Until then, and even then, it will probably be hard to determine the truth until someone signs. It will be interesting to see what the final contacts look like.

They have a seat at the table because Machado visited them? He wouldn't have visited if they weren't at least competitive. 

• Haha 1

I think Machado will sign relatively soon; he's got 3 suitors and it's unlikely that number changes.   None of the teams need to move players or anything like that...should be able to knock this out.

Harper, on the other hand, has 3 confirmed suitors but 3 or 4 possible more (Cubs, Dodgers, Cards, Yankees).  That should take longer to play out.

7 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

You don't, and if they really don't have a seat at the table they're idiots for even suggesting it. If they went into this offseason and Hahn said "The team isn't ready for major additions and we'll add when they're ready" nobody could have argued that and it would make sense. They HAVE to know what they're getting themselves into. Otherwise, why mention it??? It is just moronic and setting themselves up for getting tarred and feathered on their way out of town by the fanbase. Unless they're trying to alienate the fanbase and move the team in 5-10 years, in which they'd be doing a hell of a job accomplishing their goal. 

Edited by Jack Parkman